Quantcast
LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I got laid off tomorrow I wouldn't have companies lining up to hire me, so I'd be looking for every little thing that might help.
    This is my opinion too. You've got to be a real unicorn these days to not need every advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This is my opinion too. You've got to be a real unicorn these days to not need every advantage.
    You know what they say about unicorns...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They are almost as cool as alicorns?
    Name:  f50725e5fcfc336b30af3da63e5f160f.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  39.2 KB
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-02-2021 at 08:05 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Magical unicorn mayonnaise?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

was chatting with a beyond member about resume writing, and how hard it is for older people to understand the way modern resumes need to be written to emphasize ACTION and RESULT.

Here's my best explanation. "imagine at each of your roles, on the day you started, several others also started in the exact same role." Now imagine all those people worked in those roles just as long as you, and they are applying for the same positions as you. If your resume can't explain what you did differently and better than them, they will get the job and not you."

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

was chatting with a beyond member about resume writing, and how hard it is for older people to understand the way modern resumes need to be written to emphasize ACTION and RESULT.

Here's my best explanation. "imagine at each of your roles, on the day you started, several others also started in the exact same role." Now imagine all those people worked in those roles just as long as you, and they are applying for the same positions as you. If your resume can't explain what you did differently and better than them, they will get the job and not you."
    Having specific, measurable examples seems to be becoming more and more important to appear on resumes. I have a friend who was laid off of cenovus and got provided X amount of months of job coaching on Cenovus' dime and thats one of the tips the coach gave him. She said unless you have something that's measurable in dollars, time, or some other key performance metric/indicator then you will likely get passed by for someone who does.

In regards to the Linked In profile I like to think of it as a way to have your all encompassing experience in a generalized resume where as the resume you are actually using to get the job is probably tailored to that specific role or set of keywords. If you use services like jobscan.co or another ATS system to highlight your resume to the job posting you are likely going to have to alter it pretty drastically to "pass" the algorithm filtering you out. With your Linked In profile it can provide more details on you as a complete candidate outside of what the computer system looks for.

Another thing I personally look at pretty frequently is people's activity for posts or things they have liked or posted on. Some people treat it like facebook and post all sorts of conspiracy theories or right wing "fuck trudeau" crap so I use that to weed out my own contacts and anyone I interact with on a professional setting. For example Extra slow likes to keep it Extra Professional and often shares job opportunities or new tech that is relevant to the industry which I appreciate. But there are a pile of Joe Nobody's out there who use it to talk about how covid is a fabrication by the government to take our guns and make our kids gay so they post pictures of their jacked up, clapped out Dodge 1 ton with a trump flag and shit on posts about women in leadership saying "you're only posting this because its a woman and it wouldn't be a big deal if it was a man". I've definitely used it to weed out vendors and sales guys because of shit like that.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 03-02-2021 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Another thing I personally look at pretty frequently is people's activity for posts or things they have liked or posted on. Some people treat it like facebook and post all sorts of conspiracy theories or right wing "fuck trudeau" crap so I use that to weed out my own contacts and anyone I interact with on a professional setting. For example Extra slow likes to keep it Extra Professional and often shares job opportunities or new tech that is relevant to the industry which I appreciate. But there are a pile of Joe Nobody's out there who use it to talk about how covid is a fabrication by the government to take our guns and make our kids gay so they post pictures of their jacked up, clapped out Dodge 1 ton with a trump flag and shit on posts about women in leadership saying "you're only posting this because its a woman and it wouldn't be a big deal if it was a man". I've definitely used it to weed out vendors and sales guys because of shit like that.
    People's political or conspiracy posts have twice led me to not bother interviewing them.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Covid has definitely exposed a pretty alarming segment of the population’s inability to keep their shit together as a general statement.

Then again, I can’t say that the kind of people I know on LinkedIn spreading that stuff surprise me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can have a working relationship with anyone who can present a coherent professional image in professional settings. I don't care what bullshit they believe in thier hearts, I just don't want to hear about it in the workplace, or the interview, or LinkedIn.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4