Quantcast
LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing

My Ride
    Random cars

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't have a LinkedIn profile, figured I'd be a lifer so never saw any value in it on account of I hate all forms of social media.

I'll roll without one and see if I have any luck down the road, thanks for the resume tips all.

Lots of farmers hated tractors a while ago, too. Something to think about as you navigate things......

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

LinkedIn has some value to a job seeker for sure. You need to be intentional with how you use it, and realistic about what you expect out of it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

For those interested in taking it to the next level, check out the career transformation/transition programs from Higher Landing.

https://www.higherlanding.com/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone interested in a chat about the higher landing programs, PM me. Or dig up my posts on the subject.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I wouldn't hire someone without a LinkedIn. I want to see how they market themselves digitally.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by austic View Post
    I wouldn't hire someone without a LinkedIn. I want to see how they market themselves digitally.
    I'd hate to work at a place like that.

Not saying that there's anything wrong with wanting or requiring employees to have a Linkedin profile, just that I definitely would not excel at a place with a culture like that.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

In some industries or roles, it would be a basic level of competence required to perform in the role. In lots, it doesn't matter.

I see the value, it got me one job.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Yeah I can see how it would be a useful tool for employees and employers both.

For me, my ideal job is one without bosses or customers. The kind of person who desires that is not the kind of person that writes Linkedin profiles.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

In my case what would it matter if I created a LinkedIn profile, I'd have zero connections and the work history would be what's listed in my resume anyway.

If not getting a job over a LinkedIn profile while having 10+ years experience and being a leading professional is the case, then I'd just laugh.

I guess you could see some company logos and if I posted any verified certs, woo woo

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If someone sees your name and tries to find your background does your current resume come up on Google?

It’s not difficult to see where it could be helpful for something other than photos of your last trip to Vegas coming up when someone tries to learn more about you. Like it or not there is often to more to applying for jobs these days than an interview and a paper resume.

Plus it’s great for keeping in touch with people who have been laid off. That’s got to be 90% of my LinkedIn messages.

Will not having it automatically disqualify you from a position? Maybe not but pretending it doesn’t exist isn’t exactly putting your best foot forward in many cases. I guess it depends on how unique and special you think you are for a given role in this economy.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-23-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Like most things the difference it makes is at the margins. But in a crowded job market, I think it's worth the effort for most people.

I certainly wouldn't hire a salesperson who didn't have a profile.

My Ride

You're making it sound like you're relying on social media to provide background on ones self, people shouldn't be striving to have a large digital footprint unless you want that for some strange reason or are a public figure.

If someone wants to know personal/particulars then they can find that out by asking me instead of typing my name into Google.

Googling my name yields an old phone number from years ago and a public Facebook post someone made a few years ago when I saved a baby cow

My Ride
    *The First*

You're making it sound like you're relying on social media to provide background on ones self, people shouldn't be striving to have a large digital footprint unless you want that for some strange reason or are a public figure.

If someone wants to know personal/particulars then they can find that out by asking me instead of typing my name into Google.

Googling my name yields an old phone number from years ago and a public Facebook post someone made a few years ago when I saved a baby cow
    Do you know zero people who have been let go and been attempting to find a job? It's a massacre drowning in a bloodbath.
    The people we didn't hire about 6 months ago who were absolutely ideal candidates who would've worked out 99-101% as well as the ones we did hire are still jobless. These are highly qualified professionals with 15+ years of experience in the position to make plenty of money and they can't find squat.
    Your LinkedIn profile would "have zero connections" for about 11 minutes. You know people, you click mouse, you get connections and by the end of the day, you have 30+ and add a picture of yourself (not in a budgie smuggler from Tijuana) then boom - you're "intermediate" in profile status.
    Choosing to not do this is like cutting off your arm before you try to swim across a river. HR people might need some of the most odious little vermin to walk the earth, but they decide who gets a foot in the door, and they play in the LinkedIn sandbox.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s 2021, if someone can’t figure out an answer to a question they have in a few clicks they move on. You think they will call you? Have you met the millennials who are responsible for cutting down the stack of resumes to the ones that get looked at by someone who is out of diapers?

Anyways. Do what you want. The job market is not the same as it was in 2005.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

If a job has 600 applicants, and 550 get weeded out immediately for one reason or another (assume you are in the 50 that makes it through), you think they're actually going to interview (i.e. call and ask you the questions) the last 50 without doing some low-effort research first? Get real.

To repeat what everyone else has said: it may or may not be mandatory to have a linkedin, but if a person is on the job hunt, why on earth not do literally everything you can to increase your chances of getting an interview?

fwiw, zero chance I'd hire someone that didn't have a linkedin. I see a lot of resumes, and I can't think of the last time I came across one that didn't have their linkedin URL in the contact info.
    Last edited by bjstare; 02-23-2021 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You sound very important. I'm happy for you that you apparently have no issue finding and keeping employment.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You sound very important. I'm happy for you that you apparently have no issue finding and keeping employment.
    Saving a calf will do that to a person.

It's a different strokes for different folks situation, I'm not looking to or trying to argue with anyone. I get the ease of use of clicking a link, seeing someones picture, work history, etc. But I personally wouldn't, and haven't written someone off because they don't have a LinkedIn profile.

I get if someone is applying for everything under the sun, then yes do all that you can to market yourself and improve your chances. If you're employed and cherry picking possible employment opportunities for a lateral move, then it's a different story.

To each their own with how you go about things.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

probably industry-specific too. I am a dime a dozen because of my education and experience. I need every trick in the book.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Saving a calf will do that to a person.

It's a different strokes for different folks situation, I'm not looking to or trying to argue with anyone. I get the ease of use of clicking a link, seeing someones picture, work history, etc. But I personally wouldn't, and haven't written someone off because they don't have a LinkedIn profile.

I get if someone is applying for everything under the sun, then yes do all that you can to market yourself and improve your chances. If you're employed and cherry picking possible employment opportunities for a lateral move, then it's a different story.

To each their own with how you go about things.
    It also makes you look like a luddite that refuses to adapt and change with the times. LinkedIn is as much about marketing yourself as it is about job searching. Maybe you do incredible, ground-breaking work. But your work is only as valuable if people know about it. That increases your value and could lead to more lucrative job offers or more lucrative contracts.

Elon Musk is Elon Musk not just for his ability to do really innovative work, but also his extraordinary ability to promote himself.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I also hate all forms of social media however quite often when you're looking for a job you aren't holding all the cards, so I think it's wise to play along and just make a profile. I think most people who are looking want to do every last thing in their power to find a job and LinkedIn is just one of those things. It's not a huge amount of effort so it's not a big deal IMO, and you never know what might come your way or who you might be able to help. Making a point by not having a profile is fine but it will probably work against you. Obviously it's importance is industry dependent but I think people looking for a 'professional'/office position would be wise to have one. If I got laid off tomorrow I wouldn't have companies lining up to hire me, so I'd be looking for every little thing that might help.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-01-2021 at 11:50 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast