Quantcast
LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69

Thread: LinkedIn Optimization Service, Resume Polishing

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,855
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    What is it about M.Eng and PMP that is vomit inducing? I'm actually studying for my PMP now and have considered an M.Eng to try to get into the Geotechnical field, albeit I'm not keen on more schooling if I can help it.

    On topic, I wish I had advice for you but networking and who I've known (with pretty average resumes used) is how I've gotten jobs with casual interviews. Lately I've spent a lot of time resume writing, going insane over every little detail, using LinkedIn services, job scan ATS evaluators, and my interview rate has been dismal. That's even with internal referrals. Safe to say its kind of a crap shoot right now.
    Last edited by msommers; 12-09-2020 at 11:30 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,720
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Personally, my company policy is to post external even if there is already an internal lock. No idea why, just to waste time I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,855
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Marketing purposes.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Spend a bit of money and get some decent professional photos with good lighting etc. As a species we are visual.

    One of my ex girlfriends was a higher up at a oil and gas company. She helped re-write my resume and honestly she was the only one that did a decent job. I went to all the job/resume writing stuff in the city. Its subjective.

    I found LinkedIn did not do much. It was a secondary area where a employer could check to see additional info. As others have mentioned, use LinkedIn to research.

    As others have mentioned, network, network and NETWORK. Volunteer, be aware of your passive body language, can you hold a conversation..? I was interviewing a candidate last year and he could not hold a conversation AT ALL. That was a big no no for the job. To be fair I have no idea how you will do this in the current climate. You could try just being part of your community association. These people do have links to other areas. Just turn up for the meeting. Ours are on zoom.

    Outside of Linkedin...Pay attention to your presentation (suite, tie, cuffs, what kind of shirt?). Don't wear something because its smart, have a bit of class. Pay attention to your shoes, are they fucking polished? How do you shake someones hand? Is your hand limp? Does the knot in your tie match the collar of your shirt? Sounds a bit extreme, but in a room full of other candidates this makes a difference (especially with the ladies).

    Clean all these things up. So it can mask your deficiencies. Do not think for a minute the application process is a fair fight its not. This is what I found gave me a edge and got attention with a lot of senior people.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is it about M.Eng and PMP that is vomit inducing? I'm actually studying for my PMP now and have considered an M.Eng to try to get into the Geotechnical field, albeit I'm not keen on more schooling if I can help it...
    The combo is a dead giveaway for someone who got their "engineering degree" in Krakozhia or similar and APEGA has said "Yeah, no. You're going to need to retake these __ courses and/or pass the FE Exam because we've found that people with degrees from Krakozhia don't know the difference between concrete and pipe or that F = ma."
    So, they try to pass the FE Exam and can't. Multiple times.

    The workaround is to get an M.Eng from your friendly, neighbourhood university. I don't directly know, but I've heard that this consists of very little technical content and very Grade-10-level papers. Then, lie your way to a PMP qualification and pass that test so you've got enough letters after your name to get a job at PorleyWarsons or whatever other Walmart Engineering firm.
    *I think the M.Eng also satisfies a portion of APEGA where they may treat you like an EIT...

    If you want to get into Geotech, I'm guessing you'd look at a M.Sc which is highly technical.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,223
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    That and people who keep going back to school for the same thing just screams “I didn’t work out in the workforce”.

    Out of 100 positions there are less than a handful I think someone having a master degree in engineering would be an asset for.

    Coming from Geoscience it’s not really the same, Master degrees are common and valuable in GeoSc. But for engineering, it really is a certain (re special) kind of person who gets a masters in engineering. It’s a bizarre degree that has next to no value in the real world and is tailored completely for academia and was usually a signal they could never get hired after their bachelors.

    I have fewer comments on PMP excerpt that it seems to be a certification in beuracracy.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-10-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Sunnyside
    My Ride
    lobster boat
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *I think the M.Eng also satisfies a portion of APEGA where they may treat you like an EIT...

    If you want to get into Geotech, I'm guessing you'd look at a M.Sc which is highly technical.
    You're right, I think APEGA counts a Masters in anything as 1-year of experience toward a P.Eng.

    Based on my failure/victory laps around academia, it's generally something like:

    MEng = 4-5 courses and a thesis, generally the 'good' prof's won't work with you unless your work is novel enough to be published, although that varies a lot.
    MSc/MASc = 8 courses and 2 "project" courses aka. group capstone projects.
    Last edited by engibeer; 12-21-2020 at 09:47 AM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,720
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I know a few M.Eng's in my field. they are neither good scientists or good engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    It's a bad generalization, but often people who were great at their jobs and experiencing upwards career movement, did so without the credentials. If that wasn't happening, they pursued the credentials. That was true during the busy times anyway. Now, it's a little different, and maybe it does help you stand out. It may not. I don't know.

    Still, the best way to get anything is individual networking, volunteering, and making sure people know who you are, what you can do, and that you are actively looking for work. Submitting a higher volume of resumes is a very low percentage game.

    Adding any credential is only helpful if it suddenly makes you stand out from the crowd of applicants. How many PMP's are unemployed right now, and how many PMP jobs are there? I'd guess there's more unemployed PMP's than data scientists.
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,223
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I disagree with what people say around generalizing BSc BASc BEng and the masters versions, that’s a Calgary phenomenon in my experience based on so many people going to the 2 universities in this province and drawing arbitrary lines.

    For the rest of the country the name of your degree is literally just up to the preference of the granting university and has next to nothing to describe the program that was taken. If it’s an accredited engineering degree it’s an accredited engineering degree and I wouldn’t read into it any more than that.

    Tl:dr the name of the degree is completely irrelevant. Actually I’ll go even farther and say having a degree is completely irrelevant and it’s near entirely what you do with it. I use nearly none of my formal education in my day to day job, at least from my bachelors degree. But that’s mostly because O&G engineering is a joke.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-10-2020 at 11:45 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Nothing wrong with a multi-page resume as long as quality is consistent throughout and the information is actually relevant.
    But it's always important to check the relevance of any data, when it's all located on one page, in my opinion. Any page should be optimized as well, and it's the process, that should be done in the process of developing site. I know great dev companies, who care about this, like this one ( https://www.talenteria.com/ ) called Talenteria. They do everything they can for building really nice career sites for everyone who needs it.
    Last edited by aarny25; 12-31-2020 at 06:43 AM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Going to piggy back off this thread

    Looking to create a resume as I'm ready to jump ship after almost a dozen years of working for the same company.

    I've essentially spent my professional career under this umbrella of acquisitions over the years, should I just list my title and duties under each company and the time range for the flow of responsibilities as things have changed over the past decade+?

    Is there any point of listing any prior jobs before this? It would have been smaller helpdesk positions in my early 20's which is more or less irrelevant for what I do now.

    Should I try to keep it to one page? or list project and major accomplishments over the years on a subsequent page?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Don't worry about one page. Two or three is fine, but you do need the best stuff on the first page.

    There's different ways to format when your company has been acquired. You want to show how your role changed over time in whatever manner is simplest.

    And as always, focus on your achievements and your actions that generated results.
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to piggy back off this thread

    Looking to create a resume as I'm ready to jump ship after almost a dozen years of working for the same company.

    I've essentially spent my professional career under this umbrella of acquisitions over the years, should I just list my title and duties under each company and the time range for the flow of responsibilities as things have changed over the past decade+?

    Is there any point of listing any prior jobs before this? It would have been smaller helpdesk positions in my early 20's which is more or less irrelevant for what I do now.

    Should I try to keep it to one page? or list project and major accomplishments over the years on a subsequent page?
    I'd try to keep it to 2 pages. Not >3 in my opinion.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The White Ghetto
    My Ride
    Altima Se-R
    Posts
    2,181
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd try to keep it to 2 pages. Not >3 in my opinion.
    If your resume is 3 pages long, you better have a damn good reason for it. Like you've been churning out nothing but hits in your career. If it's just describing your job, then you can cut it out and save the space and the reader's time.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your resume is 3 pages long, you better have a damn good reason for it. Like you've been churning out nothing but hits in your career. If it's just describing your job, then you can cut it out and save the space and the reader's time.
    I agree. I was going to add "unless I already know that you walk on water, I'm tossing your 3+ page resume into the trash with my old Ellen Page Fan magazines".

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,223
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    2 pages.

    Fits on one piece of paper, front and back, expect no one to ever look at the back but it’s there for dumb stuff like your miracle peewee hockey goal you scored when you were 12 and to say something about being competent in PowerPoint and Excel.

    Document the rest of the crap on LinkedIn, the hiring manager can find it there if they are even remotely interested.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    694
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Add a hyperlink to your LinkedIn on the PDF version of your resume.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't have a LinkedIn profile, figured I'd be a lifer so never saw any value in it on account of I hate all forms of social media.

    I'll roll without one and see if I have any luck down the road, thanks for the resume tips all.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,223
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I’m as supportive of anyone with skipping social media, but I see LinkedIn less as a social platform as much as a digital resume. Namely, so that something professional shows up if someone Google’s your name to help control the narrative rather than drunk Facebook photos coming up.

    Just something to consider.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Home Network Optimization - Thoughts

    By killramos in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 10-21-2014, 01:11 PM
  2. Resume tips (was: Adding Color to Resume)

    By Gorilla in forum Careers
    Replies: 78
    Latest Threads: 09-26-2012, 01:36 PM
  3. Website optimization on google?

    By JordanLotoski in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
  4. Search Engine Optimization

    By AZ REALTY in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 01-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •