Quantcast
No start help, EIS issue, 2008 Mercedes c230 W204 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: No start help, EIS issue, 2008 Mercedes c230 W204

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default No start help, EIS issue, 2008 Mercedes c230 W204

Car was working nicely all day yesterday. Lots of errands to multiple locations. Then I tried to start it in the afternoon and there was no response from the car when I inserted the key into the ignition. Normally you get the steering wheel lock to release automatically. There was no engine click or anything when turning the key over all the way. Nothing.

I figured maybe it was my battery but the infotainment, lights and door locks all worked fine. I had my wife come by and we tried to boost the car but that didn’t change anything. I also tried her key (my backup). Didn’t work. I then replaced the batteries in my key fob and that made no difference.

Towed it to Riegel Tuning (Tunerworks) and they said they can't work on it. They were very kind not to charge me a diagnostic. Their (and my) guess is that there is a fault in the EIS (electronic ignition switch module). Lonestar quoted my $170 diagnostic, $1100 on a new module and $550 labour to put a new one in. Best part is the part is backordered in Germany with no ETA.

Anyone know of any local services that can fix a bad EIS rather than buying a new one? Or anyone know of any reputable service providers I could ship my module to? This blows....
    Last edited by cycosis; 12-07-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

My dad had a similar issue with his car. Same deal, but mercedes will not sell that part to third party shops. It's really dumb, but you're kind of handcuffed.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Yeap. Either your EIS or a combo of that and your steering lock control unit. We were able to sell EIS to 3rd party shops last year but no more this year, has to be done in house by our Service Dept now. No more TRP (Theft Relevent Parts) sold to 3rd party anymore. I can't help you out on this since I'm Edmonton but I know some peeps at MB Calgary

Go to MB Country Hills and talk to Andrew Lam, tell him your William's friend from Edmonton and he'll cut you some $$ on labour and parts.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Having become intimately familiar with my CLK the last few years, the first thing I would have done was disconnect the battery negative cable and waited 2 minutes before reconnecting. These cars are crazy for weird gremlins like this and a literal reboot can sometimes make all the difference.

Yes the EIS probably needs to come out eventually and the only way to go about it other than the dealer, is on ebay (which gets you US pricing sometimes). For eg. I need another key made and other than going to MB for a 1200$ fee, I can send out the EIS to a dealer in the US, for them to do it for about 400$

My Ride

I forgot to mention I did the battery thing too. Disconnected it and waited 10 minutes. Still nothing.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My dad had a similar issue with his car. Same deal, but mercedes will not sell that part to third party shops. It's really dumb, but you're kind of handcuffed.
    What's their justification for refusing to sell it to third party shops?

My Ride

Its a VIN coded item, theft relevent item. MB has control over the part and tells dealers part must be done in house by Service. We comply. MB will only sell you the part IF your a MB Authorized 3rd party shop. Its to prevent theft of vehicles, chop shops, shady stuff. Only legit 3rd parties.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-08 092216.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  125.4 KB
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-08-2020 at 10:56 AM.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Its a VIN coded item, theft relevent item. MB has control over the part and tells dealers part must be done in house by Service. We comply. MB will only sell you the part IF your a MB Authorized 3rd party shop

Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-08 092216.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  125.4 KB
    Getting it towed to Sheni's from Tunerworks. Apparently they are authorized

My Ride

@cycosis so what did it end up being? EIS or Steering Lock?

My Ride

Steering Lock. $1440

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    Steering Lock. $1440
    Yep. 2 of the most common things to fail on those W/C204's. I swear MB builds them with a timed planned failure but its what keeps our doors open and money in my wallet
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-05-2021 at 09:08 AM.