Quantcast
Registries Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Registries Thread

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

@dannie This discussion came up with some friends and I and maybe you can answer.

If I still had an old plate that expired many years ago or I decide I don't want to renew my current plate and just let the registration expire, can it be renewed years or even decades later after the expiration has lapsed? You said vanity plates are yours forever, but does that also apply to regular ones? I was under the impression as long as you have the plate and were the person last registered to it, you could renew it whenever but my friend thinks it has to be continually renewed for you to keep it (or at least renewed within a reasonable amount of time of the registration lapsing).

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

We have an old plate that belongs to my mom. The registry says that it's her forever and I can't transfer it over to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    @dannie This discussion came up with some friends and I and maybe you can answer.

If I still had an old plate that expired many years ago or I decide I don't want to renew my current plate and just let the registration expire, can it be renewed years or even decades later after the expiration has lapsed? You said vanity plates are yours forever, but does that also apply to regular ones? I was under the impression as long as you have the plate and were the person last registered to it, you could renew it whenever but my friend thinks it has to be continually renewed for you to keep it (or at least renewed within a reasonable amount of time of the registration lapsing).
    The plate is yours, always. It doesn't matter how long it's been since it was last valid. The problem that we end up seeing a lot is that people "think" the plate is theirs, but it ends up belonging to someone else (ie: parent, wife, husband etc). At the end of the day tho, it's yours - always. Now, this is also a double edged sword because if you keep a plate and it gets stolen, lost etc - you're still responsible for it. If some schmuck stole it and drove thru a bunch of speed traps, the tickets will come to you. So, if you are keeping an old plate, please make sure its somewhere safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    We have an old plate that belongs to my mom. The registry says that it's her forever and I can't transfer it over to me.
    Pretty much. There is a way to do it - but its incredibly costly and annoying af. Not worth it.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    The plate is yours, always. It doesn't matter how long it's been since it was last valid. The problem that we end up seeing a lot is that people "think" the plate is theirs, but it ends up belonging to someone else (ie: parent, wife, husband etc). At the end of the day tho, it's yours - always. Now, this is also a double edged sword because if you keep a plate and it gets stolen, lost etc - you're still responsible for it. If some schmuck stole it and drove thru a bunch of speed traps, the tickets will come to you. So, if you are keeping an old plate, please make sure its somewhere safe.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much. There is a way to do it - but its incredibly costly and annoying af. Not worth it.
    Well shit I have like 20 plates scattered around I should collect them and lock them up before something bad happens.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The plate is yours, always. It doesn't matter how long it's been since it was last valid.
    That's what I figured, but I just wanted confirmation from an expert. Thanks!

Unless it's an 888/8888 plate. Then you can't put a dollar value on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Well shit I have like 20 plates scattered around I should collect them and lock them up before something bad happens.
    Haha what's the oldest you think you have?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    That's what I figured, but I just wanted confirmation from an expert. Thanks!

Unless it's an 888/8888 plate. Then you can't put a dollar value on it.

Haha what's the oldest you think you have?
    I think the first plate off my first car from April 2007, and then a shit ton from all the cars I haven’t put my custom plate on since.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

Quote Originally Posted by 98brg2d View Post
    It's two mistakes that are combined. First, your wife more than likely signed up for the auto renew (which I don't suggest, but that's a convo for another day). As such, the system does its thing and someone on the other side of a computer renews it and mails it out. A rebuilt status would not preclude the service from happening.

As far as the status and the registration going to her... It comes down to human error. Your wife signed the car over to the insurance company and washed her hands of it. On the insurance company side, they then take the bill of sale and register it to themselves and then usually sell it or get rid of it for parts. That part, is where it went wrong. They did the write off inspection, took the document to the registry and then probably just forgot to register the car to themselves. It happens. Human error is real.

That being said, the vehicle is still registered with her as the last owner. So, make sure she still keeps the documents from the sale, just in case the car shows up on the side of the road. She would need to prove she sold it to get out of paying fees.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Any chance of getting a personalized plate in the current seven character format but using a plate number from your first car?
    For example if you could provide the plate number (lets say BRB_123) and you can tell the registry the vehicle make model and year of the car (say a white 1974 Ford Mustang) AND you were the only one the car was registered to under that plate.
    It would have been 35+ years ago but any way of making that happen?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No personalized plate can have a number that looks like the non personalized plates. Can't be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

^This.
    Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Any chance of getting a personalized plate in the current seven character format but using a plate number from your first car?
    For example if you could provide the plate number (lets say BRB_123) and you can tell the registry the vehicle make model and year of the car (say a white 1974 Ford Mustang) AND you were the only one the car was registered to under that plate.
    Answered on Post#14

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Nope

My Ride
    Exploded.

Hi @dannie hope all is well.

What about this one:

If I successfully register my vehicle as an 'antique auto', may I display an antique plate of any year (i.e. 1973) but my car is not of the same year?

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Hi @dannie hope all is well.

What about this one:

If I successfully register my vehicle as an 'antique auto', may I display an antique plate of any year (i.e. 1973) but my car is not of the same year?
    Hey Bro!

Nope. Let's say your vehicle is a 1972. You'd register as an antique (to and from shows - so, no sunday cruises and no cruising down the peace bridge) and at the same time, you'd tell the registry agent that you've got an alternative plate you'd like to display. That plate, must be a 1972. You would not be able to use any other year on the vehicle. The agent would note it on file, ask for a photo to confirm the plate is the corresponding year, and note the alternate plate on your registration.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Hey Bro!

Nope. Let's say your vehicle is a 1972. You'd register as an antique (to and from shows - so, no sunday cruises and no cruising down the peace bridge) and at the same time, you'd tell the registry agent that you've got an alternative plate you'd like to display. That plate, must be a 1972. You would not be able to use any other year on the vehicle. The agent would note it on file, ask for a photo to confirm the plate is the corresponding year, and note the alternate plate on your registration.
    Makes sense; thought I'd confirm. Have a great week ahead! <3

Lolol the Peace Bridge shhhh

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

It's two mistakes that are combined. First, your wife more than likely signed up for the auto renew (which I don't suggest, but that's a convo for another day). As such, the system does its thing and someone on the other side of a computer renews it and mails it out. A rebuilt status would not preclude the service from happening.

As far as the status and the registration going to her... It comes down to human error. Your wife signed the car over to the insurance company and washed her hands of it. On the insurance company side, they then take the bill of sale and register it to themselves and then usually sell it or get rid of it for parts. That part, is where it went wrong. They did the write off inspection, took the document to the registry and then probably just forgot to register the car to themselves. It happens. Human error is real.

That being said, the vehicle is still registered with her as the last owner. So, make sure she still keeps the documents from the sale, just in case the car shows up on the side of the road. She would need to prove she sold it to get out of paying fees.
    Thanks! she did send in a form to cancel the registration and we do have the documents she signed from the insurance company so I think we are covered.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Why don't you suggest auto renew?

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    Why don't you suggest auto renew?
    There is far too much room for error. Between the member of the public signing up and forgetting, not supplying the adequate insurance, the system failing, the human on the other end making an error and then trusting canada post to get the document out to you? Nah. The system in place now where you can contact a registry and send it to a real human on the other end of the computer, is significantly better. The auto renew (in my opinion) has failed far too often based on what we see on a daily basis.

I feel like this is an obvious comment, but based on a convo yesterday, i'm dead wrong.

The government stopped issuing the stickers that go on your licence plate a few months ago. Your plate is still valid without the sticker once you get the registration. Please, do not go into the registry and argue this point with staff. I get that you might not be used to this or want to come and "get details on why the car in front of me doesn't have a sticker," but please know - this is legit. Stickers = not needed anymore.

/ted talk

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Wow dannie. I do not envy what you guys deal with on a day-to-day basis.

I was just at the registry yesterday and it was so pleasant. 2 year renewal on a vehicle and address change. What a breeze. I wish I knew there was a place that doesn't charge the full $13 service fee but you know what, you guys deserve it for the shit you guys deal with lol. So many customers around me were pissed off and had negative attitudes because they lacked knowledge and I can see them staff try hard to be understanding and nice.

On a positive note, I lost my registration for one of my cars that expire in 2022 and luckily my address change gives me a new copy for free. Win!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast