Quantcast
Registries Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Registries Thread

Default Registries Thread

It's taken some time, but I think the majority of people on here know who I am and what I do. Therefore, I think it's time I provide a little more input than I regularly do (think of it as me finally giving back).

If you have questions pertaining to registries - drop them in the thread here and I will answer them with as much clarity as I can. That being said, here are a few rules that I feel I need to set in place:

- I will not assist you with anything illegal
    - I will not go into the politics behind why the gov did/didn't do something that you don't agree with
    - I will do my best to help clarify a procedure
    - This will not be a debatable thread (ie: i'm not going to argue or bait back and forth)
    - If you know who I am or where I'm located, please keep it to yourself. I have no interest in making this thread about which office to attend

Your best bet is to tag me in your questions as well, so I can get the notification.

Hope y'all are keeping safe and staying warm.

Dannie

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

First one is an easy one (I hope!) will the new covid19 restrictions mean reduced hours for registries offices, or closures, or any kind of extension for things like licenses or registration renewals?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    First one is an easy one (I hope!) will the new covid19 restrictions mean reduced hours for registries offices, or closures, or any kind of extension for things like licenses or registration renewals?
    With the restrictions announced yesterday, yes. Each office has to review their plans and determine how many people can attend. Most offices changed their hours back in April and have kept them there thru covid. No office in any urban centers has closed their doors though. Each has developed their own system for dealing with the public (some use a queue system, some employed extra people to manage the lines, some use a text in system). There are no current extension for renewals. That being said - there is emergency measures in place that allow for individuals to do some services remotely. It's a bit clunky and anything done via email is not in effect until the original document gets to you through the mail.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Commercial class license testing (1, 2, 3, 4)
    - Is there any way to complete the required tests online with covid restrictions?
    - For these classes, how have you see or how do you anticipate road testing to be?

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    Commercial class license testing (1, 2, 3, 4)
    - Is there any way to complete the required tests online with covid restrictions?
    - For these classes, how have you see or how do you anticipate road testing to be?
    Those are two separate groups now. Class 1, 2, 3 are considered commercial in our world and 4 is lumped in with private. Either way, the answer is no. Written tests are completed at the registry with each office having their covid protocol in place. The vision test is done at the registry, again with covid protocols in place. You'd still attend your dr's office for the medical (class 1, 2, 4 and for any medical conditions). The road test for class 1, 2 and 3 is booked via the government and is still under the current program of MELT. Class 4 road test is booked directly at the registry, along with class 5 basic, 5 advance and 6's.

The actual test itself isnt changing, but the health minister instituted covid protocols to be able to do them. Things like wiping down the car, masks, sanitizer etc are required. Once you book the road test, the requirements are printed in your confirmation letter.

My Ride
    19 TLX

We applied for our marriage license back in November and now with new restrictions we've had to postpone our wedding again and aren't sure if we will be getting marriage within the 3month period of the license. Will we have to reapply and pay for a new one or will we be able to extend it?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    We applied for our marriage license back in November and now with new restrictions we've had to postpone our wedding again and aren't sure if we will be getting marriage within the 3month period of the license. Will we have to reapply and pay for a new one or will we be able to extend it?
    As of right now, you'll be repaying. There are no extensions. That being said - hear me out here. You could always get married on the day you wanted via marriage commissioner, not tell anyone and then do your big badass wedding in the future. Food for thought.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P

Thanks for the thread.

Is it possible to remove someone off the plate? (ie from joint).

IIRC you can add someone on the plate but they have to be present at the registry in person, is that correct?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Thanks for the thread.

IIRC you can add someone on the plate but they have to be present at the registry in person, is that correct?
    I have an old plate that was registered to my wife and I, but I don't put her name on cars anymore, so I'd like to know this too. Then I'd have three valid 6 digit plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

The government turned down my request for a plate lezbox, before I try to get les wgn (French for “the wagon”) any tips for getting a plate approved?

Also curious if I can get any more 6 digit plates registered on my dad’s old cars under my name
    Last edited by finboy; 12-09-2020 at 10:07 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    *The First*

I got told I couldn't get a vanity plate with the same letter-number configuration as normal plates, but this sounds like BS.
    It's this true?

Sample examples:
    987CCCC or 321 AAA

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    The government turned down my request for a plate lezbox, before I try to get les wgn (French for “the wagon”) any tips for getting a plate approved?

Also curious if I can get any more 6 digit plates registered on my dad’s old cars under my name
    You honestly tried to license a stationwagon with the plate lezbox.. hahah fuck I mean it's kind of a given

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Are vanity plates yours forever once issued? Or if you let the registration expire can someone else register that plate and swipe it out from under you? I sold my M5 this year and will be looking to get another BMW next year, but probably in the fall and my plates expire in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Thanks for the thread.

Yes. It's a little tricky, but as long as both individuals who are currently on the plate, are physically in the office - it's doable. If the plate has a corporation on it, it's much more difficult and often can't be done

- - - Updated - - -

No dice on lezbox. It's far too "inappropriate." Getting it through is not gonna happen because it could be considered offensive to the LGBTQ community and genitalia in general. Sorry dude.

Nope on the 6 digits. They're all gone and we are stuck with the current set up for a while

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have an old plate that was registered to my wife and I, but I don't put her name on cars anymore, so I'd like to know this too. Then I'd have three valid 6 digit plates.
    This situation gets tough and costly. You'd have to "sell" the vehicle to both of you, insure to both, register to both using the old plate. Then, do a service change to a singular name. Huge pain in the ass, tons of paperwork and annoying af.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I got told I couldn't get a vanity plate with the same letter-number configuration as normal plates, but this sounds like BS.
    It's this true?

Sample examples:
    987CCCC or 321 AAA
    It's true. You cannot have the same configuration as any government issued plates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Are vanity plates yours forever once issued? Or if you let the registration expire can someone else register that plate and swipe it out from under you? I sold my M5 this year and will be looking to get another BMW next year, but probably in the fall and my plates expire in April.
    They're yours forever, even after death. Zero issues with your plan.

My Ride
    NC1

Dannie if I want to keep my current 8888 plate but want it in the newer version, do I have to pay? Just cuz my old one is all scratched up from heating up and removing stickers.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Dannie if I want to keep my current 8888 plate but want it in the newer version, do I have to pay? Just cuz my old one is all scratched up from heating up and removing stickers.
    You won't be able to get it. If you choose to get the new version (which isn't required), you'll get whatever the next plate is in the box. They won't be issuing the plate you have, in the new reflective format.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

@dannie

Hi Dannie,

I've read that Motorcycle (Class 6) testing for 2021 will now be done at the registries vs through the government system. Do you know if most registries will be set up to do this testing and do you think it will be able to be booked in a reasonable amount of time or will there be a big backlog like last year where it was difficult to get the testing done?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    @dannie

Hi Dannie,

I've read that Motorcycle (Class 6) testing for 2021 will now be done at the registries vs through the government system. Do you know if most registries will be set up to do this testing and do you think it will be able to be booked in a reasonable amount of time or will there be a big backlog like last year where it was difficult to get the testing done?
    Politics aside - the move to bring road testing back to the registry is an excellent one from a service perspective. The system is already up and running and you can book for the coming year via each registry's website. Checking this morning, there's availability the third week of January, across Calgary. Compared to the 5 month delay we were seeing, this is refreshing to see. That being said, I would say out of all the examiners in Calgary, 2/3 have the ability to test motorcycles. I don't see the delays that we've seen the last two years, lasting much past the summer. In fact, if you're feeling optimistic, there is available dates at the end of March right now, if you wanted to book in.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    Politics aside - the move to bring road testing back to the registry is an excellent one from a service perspective. The system is already up and running and you can book for the coming year via each registry's website. Checking this morning, there's availability the third week of January, across Calgary. Compared to the 5 month delay we were seeing, this is refreshing to see. That being said, I would say out of all the examiners in Calgary, 2/3 have the ability to test motorcycles. I don't see the delays that we've seen the last two years, lasting much past the summer. In fact, if you're feeling optimistic, there is available dates at the end of March right now, if you wanted to book in.
    @dannie

So, if you have a full Class 5 license (been driving for 30 years) and want a class 6 road test, do you book the standard Class 6 test or the "Advanced" Class 6 test. I read the Alberta Motor website multiple times but it doesn't really specify which one you would go for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    @dannie

So, if you have a full Class 5 license (been driving for 30 years) and want a class 6 road test, do you book the standard Class 6 test or the "Advanced" Class 6 test. I read the Alberta Motor website multiple times but it doesn't really specify which one you would go for.

Thanks
    You'd book the class 6 exam. The advanced is not something for your situation.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast