Quantcast
Stand up paddle boards - inflatable any good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand up paddle boards - inflatable any good?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Stand up paddle boards - inflatable any good?

Any of you outdoor recreationalists able to school me on SUPs?
    Are they shitty? Are they a hassle? Are they so expensive you wonder if you'd be better off just buying a wakesetter?

I don't know anything. But wife woukd like one. Christmas is coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you get a good quality one they are great but there's a TON of shitty knock off chinese brands out there now. Things you want to look for is multi-wall/layer construction, at least double, most higher end boards are triple layer. It'll say something like "Triple Layer Composite PVC construction". Also consider what shape you want, wider ones are more stable and easier to balance on but a bit slower in the water, some are narrower and more 'sporty' so you move quicker but they're a lot harder to balance on. Some have pretty high weight ratings (500lbs+) so you can ride double or carry a bunch of gear. Mine has straps on the front and back so I can put a small backpack cooler with drinks/food on the back as well as clothes/speaker/etc up front.

irocker is a good brand, they have a range of boards and are a pretty good start. Also if the board supports it get an electric pump, makes it such a more enjoyable experience. You can pump it by hand but its ~10 minutes of pumping to fill the board versus get an electric pump and just turn it on and then start getting all your gear together. Usually by the time I've packed everything and had a snack its ready to go. So much nicer to not be exhausted before you start. Some places sell their own variant with the board otherwise you can get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07C5K7HFM

I have the blackfin model X and love it, though I bought it because everything else was out of stock in the summer due to craziness. The ircocker cruiser would be a good starting board and not break the bank as much.

https://irockersup.ca/paddleboards/

There's also a subreddit for them if you want to search other brand names: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sup/ and YYC has a decently active FB group for iSUPs and they plan different trips throughout the summer so you can go as a group. (They mark the difficulty in the event too, a mix of newbie friendly and more experienced)
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-10-2020 at 09:24 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Has your wife rented / borrowed one before?

My Ride
    ute

People love SUPs. I don't get it. I jump in my kayak 9/10 times.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I bought my wife a kayak and she never uses it so I took it down the bow. Now I need one. Hers is not big enough for my mass. It's so relaxing eh?

My Ride
    V8s

The high quality ones are as good, or better than, the fiberglass ones for most intents and purposes.

If you want to support "local", check out anahola board co (https://www.anaholaboardco.com). They are based just outside of edmonton and sell good quality ones (and at a glance, prices seem better than irocker?).

Downside is they are sold out, and accepting pre-orders for spring '21 delivery, so you won't be able to put a big box under the tree. Well, you could, but it would be empty.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    I bought my wife a kayak and she never uses it so I took it down the bow. Now I need one. Hers is not big enough for my mass. It's so relaxing eh?
    I think it's personal preference, but ya. I find a kayak easier to relax on, faster, more control, can carry stuff, etc etc.

I think they serve different purposes. I get a much better work out on the SUP, easier to jump in the water, but its slower. Can go further in the kayak, etc..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The hope with an inflatable was that it would be something we could carry in a vareity of vehicles, Truck, trailer, odyssey, tesla or whatever. Heck, something my wife could take out herlsef and go for a paddle on a saturday morning without the rest of her damned family.

How heavy are they?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Most of them have backpack type bags that fit all the gear in which make them easier to carry. Having said that the bags are still in the 40 - 50lb range. The boards themselves are 20-30lbs.
    Last edited by cet; 12-10-2020 at 10:42 AM.

If you buy a really good drop stitched one they are excellent, they are almost as hard as plastic when inflated. If you buy a cheap one from CT or similar you will be better off just buying a non-inflatable one.

Consider a kayak as well, I think a lot of people like the idea of a SUP in their head and then end up preferring kayaks - not saying this is you but give it some thought. SUPs are surprisingly hard work, slow, harder to control, harder to relax on, and you can't really take much with you. Depends what you're buying it for I guess.

Good inflatables aren't cheap though, you can pay $1000 for a SUP pretty easily. You can also buy them with a seat and a kayak paddle so you can use it for both, which may appeal to you. Making something almost as strong as a "real" board/boat that can be fully deflated and transported easily isn't easy to do. We're about to order an inflatable kayak soon and they are around ~$1700 for a good one with seats & paddles.

A good inflatable SUP will be roughly 30lbs, and a kayak ~10-15lbs more depending on size, plus paddles, pump, carrying bag, etc.

Also note inflatables aren't allowed on the Glenmore Reservoir for reasons I don't really understand - probably to deter everyone and their dog showing up with an air mattress or Canadian Tire dingy and falling into our drinking water supply. I'm guessing you wouldn't get any hassle from the patrol though if it was a high quality kayak/canoe and being used responsibly.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-10-2020 at 03:02 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The hope with an inflatable was that it would be something we could carry in a vareity of vehicles, Truck, trailer, odyssey, tesla or whatever. Heck, something my wife could take out herlsef and go for a paddle on a saturday morning without the rest of her damned family.

How heavy are they?
    Mines about 35 lbs total, that's with the board and all the accessories packed into the backpack it comes with. Bag is super comfy, I could do a 10k hike with it to a lake and be fine.

I do agree a kayak is better for zooming around and sight seeing if you go to a lake. SUP is better for a core workout though. Even if you putt around you get a decent core workout from the constant balancing. It's a lot more effort to scoot around a lake than people expect. That being said you can sit on a SUP and paddle too, infact some come with conversion kits so you get a seat and a double finned paddle so you can zoom around similar to a kayak.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-10-2020 at 03:06 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    My wife bought a pair, what a garbage use of time, and somehow i always end up carrying them tot he shore for her.

They are solid fibre glass fwiw, they seem? Fine?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I personally just prefer to sit in a chair and drink coop beer until I can't stand at all. But my wife has experience with kayaks and SUP's and prefers the SUP.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I personally just prefer to sit in a chair and drink coop beer until I can't stand at all. But my wife has experience with kayaks and SUP's and prefers the SUP.
    much better use of time
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Would you like to subscribe to my newsletter? Oh wait, everyone on beyond.ca already does regardless of if they want to or not . . . . .

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

We have a couple stand up paddle boards at the lake. They are Tower brand and once inflated they are great. Have never had to take the air out of them so not sure how easy it is to deflate/inflate if that's what you're looking for but I found the brand to be great and high quality in the 2 years we've had them.

My Ride
    *The First*

Mod's - please rename thread to
    Talking About Activities Requiring a ManBun

K-Thanx-bye

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    If you get a good quality one they are great but there's a TON of shitty knock off chinese brands out there now. Things you want to look for is multi-wall/layer construction, at least double, most higher end boards are triple layer. It'll say something like "Triple Layer Composite PVC construction". Also consider what shape you want, wider ones are more stable and easier to balance on but a bit slower in the water, some are narrower and more 'sporty' so you move quicker but they're a lot harder to balance on. Some have pretty high weight ratings (500lbs+) so you can ride double or carry a bunch of gear. Mine has straps on the front and back so I can put a small backpack cooler with drinks/food on the back as well as clothes/speaker/etc up front.

irocker is a good brand, they have a range of boards and are a pretty good start. Also if the board supports it get an electric pump, makes it such a more enjoyable experience. You can pump it by hand but its ~10 minutes of pumping to fill the board versus get an electric pump and just turn it on and then start getting all your gear together. Usually by the time I've packed everything and had a snack its ready to go. So much nicer to not be exhausted before you start. Some places sell their own variant with the board otherwise you can get this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07C5K7HFM

I have the blackfin model X and love it, though I bought it because everything else was out of stock in the summer due to craziness. The ircocker cruiser would be a good starting board and not break the bank as much.

https://irockersup.ca/paddleboards/

There's also a subreddit for them if you want to search other brand names: https://www.reddit.com/r/Sup/ and YYC has a decently active FB group for iSUPs and they plan different trips throughout the summer so you can go as a group. (They mark the difficulty in the event too, a mix of newbie friendly and more experienced)
    We have two of the nautical irocker sups. Got them earlier this year, you can get a kayak seat and paddle for them as well. I prefered the stability of using them as kayaks versus SUPs unless it was dead flat. The weight limit for the nautical was something like 250lbs but I (at 240lbs) plus child (40lbs) was fine.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

You sound like a walleye fisherman.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast