Quantcast
Stand up paddle boards - inflatable any good? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Stand up paddle boards - inflatable any good?

My Ride
    Random cars

Agree with the quality comments. I’ve used some cheaper rental ones and they feel closer to a vinyl raft than a hard board.

I ended up buying a couple of the inflatable 10’-6” boards from Red Paddle Co about 6 years ago, now. They are fantastic versions and we’ve taken them with us on several flights to a variety of destinations. Also, since adding an adapter valve for a 12V compressor they are super easy to inflate. With just the hand pump, it’s definitely a big part of the workout since they function best with a decent amount of pressure in them compare to other boards and that takes some oomph, for sure.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bump, anyone have thoughts on Newell?
    https://newellpaddleboards.ca/our-products
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    No better than any other out there... Straight from Alibaba to your home with 150% markup

I'm in the market for an iSUP and came across Newell, and also lovevancouverlife.ca which seem similar. Pricing seems decent and i like how the Newell comes with the kayak seat, but only double wall construction and being new companies, no real reviews yet.

Costco carries this Body Glove one for a great price and good mostly 5 star reviews, but no stock yet and it's going to be a mad rush to get them when they come in:
    https://www.costco.ca/body-glove-per...100708014.html

I'm probably going to try my luck getting a Body Glove from costco as it's triple wall and a good return policy. The other Alibaba brands like newell would probably be a nightmare to deal with any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Costco carries this Body Glove one for a great price and good mostly 5 star reviews, but no stock yet and it's going to be a mad rush to get them when they come in:
    https://www.costco.ca/body-glove-per...100708014.html

I'm probably going to try my luck getting a Body Glove from costco as it's triple wall and a good return policy. The other Alibaba brands like newell would probably be a nightmare to deal with any issues.
    If that's truly drop stitched, that strikes me as a very good deal. Especially for something you stand on, I would think anything that isn't drop stitched would be pretty terrible as it wouldn't feel rigid - inflatable kayaks that aren't drop stitched feel like garbage and it would only be worse if you were standing on it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, wife ordered 2x Newell boards today. Will see when they actually show up, supposed to be early May. Didn't like our odds of actually getting the Costco ones, and even though it's all made in china one way or the other, Newell "feels" like a local company, and maybe that'll be good with warranty? Who knows. Will update when I know more.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If that's truly drop stitched, that strikes me as a very good deal. Especially for something you stand on, I would think anything that isn't drop stitched would be pretty terrible as it wouldn't feel rigid - inflatable kayaks that aren't drop stitched feel like garbage and it would only be worse if you were standing on it.
    The pricing is pretty nuts... the same one on Body Glove's official website is 999.99 USD.
    https://www.bodyglove.com/products/i...ilver-charcoal

I sent them an email as well asking if these have a seat accessory addon as I'm a first timer for both kayaking/SUP and would like to have the option to switch to kayak mode. The new 2021 model has the d hooks near the middle so hoping its an option.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I bought a Body Glove inflatable kayak a few years ago, it can also be used as a stand up paddle board. It's pretty fricking sturdy, Ive landed it on sharp rocks a few times and it barely scratched the rubber. It's awesome for camping.

The pricing is pretty nuts... the same one on Body Glove's official website is 999.99 USD.
    https://www.bodyglove.com/products/i...ilver-charcoal

I sent them an email as well asking if these have a seat accessory addon as I'm a first timer for both kayaking/SUP and would like to have the option to switch to kayak mode. The new 2021 model has the d hooks near the middle so hoping its an option.
    Yeah that's definitely the lowest price I have ever seen for anything drop stitched. They don't seem to mention what PSI it can handle though. Weird that it's almost triple the price after FX conversion directly from BodyGlove. Around 6PSI starts to feel pretty much like solid plastic though and I would bet it can handle that - most inflatables are over built by quite a bit to handle being in the sun, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I bought a Body Glove inflatable kayak a few years ago, it can also be used as a stand up paddle board. It's pretty fricking sturdy, Ive landed it on sharp rocks a few times and it barely scratched the rubber. It's awesome for camping.
    Would you say it's easy to use as a SUP for beginners? i.e. literally never even tried it once

Some of the reviews say it's a bit tough to maneuver, and the downside is that when you're in kayak mode you end up getting wet. It's actually in stock at the moment and only $100 more so might be a good option to buy and keep in the package, then return if i can get my hands on the SUP.
    https://www.costco.ca/body-glove-por...100725713.html

My Ride

Mine is the 11' Glide, and yes, you will get a bit wet as a kayak but you won't get soaked If you don't want to get wet you need a sit-in one. As a SU, it works ok, but not great. It's a compromise. 9.5' might be a bit short for SU though.

Edit: just a note for anyone thinking of using one in the Reservoir (like I was). SU paddleboards and sit-on kayaks aren't allowed. You need a sit-in kayak.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 03-26-2021 at 11:34 AM.

You're going to get wet in that for sure as there are no sides at all. If you get a long-bladed paddle you can mitigate that as you can paddle more leisurely instead of having to "dig" right beside the kayak to paddle, which would just get more water onto you.

SUPs in general are super easy to use, you will be sore in places you never knew you had muscles though haha. It's a little annoying to go straight in them because your left/right paddle motions aren't as fast when you're standing and only using a single bladed paddle. It has a skeg which is good but it'll never track as well or as straight as a kayak with a proper keel.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Paddleboard is a great way to work all those small stabilizing muscles. It kicks the shit out of me.

Yeah I think I’ll order this Porter for now. The shorter length (9.5’ vs 11’) probably makes it harder to use as a SU especially as beginner but at least it comes with the seat to easily convert to sit when I inevitably get too tired/lazy. Probably won’t use it for a while anyways so if I change my mind I can just return it or re-sell it

Came across another alibaba type option, but hella cheap at only $280 with shipping may 30th. Only double wall but at least it has the seat conversion kit included. Figured since I don’t know if I’ll like this new hobby that I’ll try this out then next year upgrade if I want to keep it up.

Evtbikes.ca

The website was not working thru my home connection but works on mobile data. It seems a bit sketchy but you can tell it was built with shopify and I paid with Apple Pay so not too worried.

They also have a shop in new horizon mall apparently if you want to see one in person.

Came across another alibaba type option, but hella cheap at only $280 with shipping may 30th. Only double wall but at least it has the seat conversion kit included. Figured since I don’t know if I’ll like this new hobby that I’ll try this out then next year upgrade if I want to keep it up.

Evtbikes.ca

The website was not working thru my home connection but works on mobile data. It seems a bit sketchy but you can tell it was built with shopify and I paid with Apple Pay so not too worried.

They also have a shop in new horizon mall apparently if you want to see one in person.
    Spend 5 mins on Alibaba, pay $130 and buy a paddle board... It will be the same one they are selling you.

It's easy AF and you'll have it in 2 months

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, wife ordered 2x Newell boards today. Will see when they actually show up, supposed to be early May. Didn't like our odds of actually getting the Costco ones, and even though it's all made in china one way or the other, Newell "feels" like a local company, and maybe that'll be good with warranty? Who knows. Will update when I know more.
    Well, not sure if Newell is same as the rest of the Alibaba boards like you guys are implying, but I guess the website sends the wrong pickup date, so the owner called my wife and let her know it'll be late may. He was super apologetic about the confusion. That kind of personal touch makes her pretty happy to be supporting a local small business.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

iRocker inflatable boards are really good and inexpensive imo. Everything including the pumps fits into a backpack you can pack around easily.

Name:  C692E8FF-D3B5-4FDF-BA33-0EAD887FE13B.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  503EB053-D028-40DD-A013-1BE8F45F54DC.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  64.5 KB

My Ride

Those look way easier to carry than my Body glove one. It's also in backpack form, but fricking massive.

I was at Aquabatics recently and they had several inflatable SUPs when I was in there last weekend. Might be worth checking out for anyone wanting to buy local. They also told me they expect to sell every single boat/board they have in stock before summer just like they did last year so the earlier the better.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast