Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hairiest Moments

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus that's a good wreck.
    No crumple zones, no head rest.
    Bet you only had a lap belt to drive and might not have been wearing it.
    No belt. I think you're right. Lap only. Nobody really wore seatbelts back then, especially teenagers.

My Ride
    Axis powers

A few years ago 07ish? When they were redoing basically all of Deerfoot I was driving north bound and took the beddington overpass, I must have had oil on my tires as my back end kicked out and my car went sideways on the bridge with my nose facing Deerfoot northbound, held my brakes e brake and clutch as hard as I could, luckily there were no cars behind me
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

I wrote up a bunch of stories but i'm realizing this is probably not stuff I should air publicly lol. Suffice it to say there are police on the 1A just past reserve territory, and drifting mishaps can occur in a wide variety of settings and seasons

My Ride
    Has wheels

2012 or 2013 In the dead of winter heading to YEG airport driving north on QE2 just after passing the Leduc overpass / bridge taking the slight left still heading north. I was in the middle lane with traffic in front and behind me but none on either side of me.

Truck decided to step way out on me and point directly west, managed to straighten out and continue north in the most left lane. Definitely white knuckled a little there.

Anyone who travels that area in the winter knows it can be brutal for black ice.

Was excessively speeding in the rain back in my teenage years and ended up in writing off my car from going off the road. That happened way faster than the above story though haha.
    Last edited by brucebanner; 12-10-2020 at 10:40 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    I wrote up a bunch of stories but i'm realizing this is probably not stuff I should air publicly lol. Suffice it to say there are police on the 1A just past reserve territory, and drifting mishaps can occur in a wide variety of settings and seasons
    I agree with you 100%, so I’ll share one where I was the passenger in a modified C6 ZR1.

First ride in a buddies ZR1, he’s a very skilled driver so I felt reasonably comfortable with his driving. We’re headed north on Deerfoot, ~3:00AM and as he heads for the Memorial exit, he floors it and the Vette is pulling hard, at the rate of speed, I assume we’re headed west into downtown, nope, hard on the Carbon Ceramic brakes, and we head east bound Memorial, a full U turn and back on the throttle as we head onto Memorial and then down the Barlow trail exit, again as hard as he can push it. We manage to catch the light and it’s a hard left onto Barlow northbound, tires blazing with the car fully sideways as he stays on it under Memorial and the C-train bridge, the sound was intoxicating.

We continued northbound and he dialed it back as I’m wondering if I tore the armrest off the door. We then approach the cloverleaf at 16th Ave and Barlow and he accelerates hard from Barlow towards the first loop. I’ve never driven with anyone who doesn’t stay steady and flowing through a single loop, he has one loop broken down to a curve, a very short straight where he’s on the throttle, another curve then into the next loop. I notice on the second loop that he’s pushing it a bit harder, each curve I can feel the ass end twitching just slightly as he modulates the pedals, on the throttle, next curve, more twitching then into the next loop. It’s been several years but I recall 90-100ish km/hr through the curves of the clover leaf. By the third loop where I again feel like he’s pushing it hard, I start to think about how the car will respond if we hit the guard rail as I wonder if the car will flip or not and how I should brace for impact. By the fourth loop, I start wondering about my pregnant wife at home and how she’ll handle raising our unborn child if I die after we roll this thing over the guardrail. I’m also wondering where the hell we’re going because I’m unsure if I’m having fun or about to poop my pants. One more loop and we’re headed west bound 16th Ave.

We end up back on Deerfoot north, hard on it and through the loop, westbound McKnight Blvd. We continue on and catch the light at 4st. Light turns green and he’s on it hard through the swoopy bits before the hard left to John Laurie where he again hangs the ass end out tires blazing. He stays on the throttle as we head towards 14st. Roads are empty but we spot a car merging onto John Laurie headed in the opposite direction, we’re travelling at a very high rate of speed. He lifts the throttle for a moment as we realize it’s a cop car, I look back as we pass it and see the cherries blaze up. We know he has to go a ways down the road before he can turn around so I yell, go, go, go! Back on the throttle under 14st and as we approach 19st, we’re in 5th gear nearing 300km/hr. I yell to turn left onto 19st and he’s hard on the brakes, ass end hanging out as we head south. We ripped down a few more streets and eventually down a back alley and parked in some random car port. Got out of the car and walked away to a nearby park. We caught our breath over the next 30- 40 minutes and watched a cop car drive by and Hawcs fly over head.

We eventually got the car to my house where it stayed in the garage for 3 days and I loaned him my car to get to work.

Wildest drive to memory.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

I posted this elsewhere but this is why I swear by winter tires even in April in Calgary.
    Eastbound Glenmore over the Bow River.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I’ve had some pretty close calls flat towing for work, generally in the dark when road surface changes quickly and you start to feel the back end come around and have to be extremely smooth and gentle to find some grip and drop speed. I remember last year having a OOOO shit moment exiting turn 6 at Castrol around 135km/h where it started to go wide towards the grass, just barely had enough room to keep all four wheels on. My fault for being too aggressive on the curb and unsettling the car. Other than that I damaged my dads rear fenders being too aggressive around cones at auto x a few times, those are some real “oh shit that sounded expensive” runs.

I also wrote off two cars in one hit leaving an ice racing event which was shameful.
    Turn 5 for me in the vette lol

Go for the brakes and my foot goes nearly to the floor and the car wasn't slowing down much.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post

Go for the brakes and my foot goes nearly to the floor and the car wasn't slowing down much.
    I’d be cleaning my pants.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Funny, I haven't had many, if any hairy moments on the road course. Maybe I wasn't driving hard enough haha. Turn 5 tho catches everyone off guard with that heavy off camber.

I spun out in an Ariel Atom in turn 5 on cold tires, and followed @buh_buh through turn 5 as he oversteered, went off the grass prior to 6, onto the hill, stopped there and rolled @kenny 's turbo EG Civic upside down that I referenced in my earlier post.

Neither were really hairy. Very anti-climatic.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Oh I also spun someone else’s Civic I jumped into entering T6 this summer as well on lap 1. I’ve never spun before on a road course or auto x so it was pretty scary lol.

My Ride
    *The First*

Oh I also spun someone else’s Civic I jumped into entering T6 this summer as well on lap 1. I’ve never spun before on a road course or auto x so it was pretty scary lol.
    I spun out at an AutoX and went into extremely dry grass at that Edmonton military airport. I hustled to get back on track and some of the grass was smoking when I got off. A fire would've been really bad and the group would've had zero chance of controlling it.
    File under "almost catastrophe, but instead, fuck all happened, so your story is lame".

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I’d be cleaning my pants.
    Code brown for sure.

This was me being a dumb dumb though and running full blown take-off Continental racing slicks on shitty pads (EBC Yellow or Hawk HP+, can't remember) lesson learnt

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Funny, I haven't had many, if any hairy moments on the road course. Maybe I wasn't driving hard enough haha. Turn 5 tho catches everyone off guard with that heavy off camber.

I spun out in an Ariel Atom in turn 5 on cold tires, and followed @buh_buh through turn 5 as he oversteered, went off the grass prior to 6, onto the hill, stopped there and rolled @kenny 's turbo EG Civic upside down that I referenced in my earlier post.

You rolled a car on track, and that wasn't even your hairiest moment

I’ve never spun before on a road course or auto x so it was pretty scary lol.
    I've spent the better part of a decade auto crossing 450+hp cars with no spins but the one season I did in an ND Miata I think I spun at least 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

I did a 360 in an Atom at Goodwood right in front of the pits in the rain. Just kept on going like nothing happened. Think my passenger might have had an accident though.....

Drove to Washington State to pick up our puppy in November 2015. All good getting the puppy but on the way back on the homestretch in Revelstoke, decided to try to pass a semi near the bridge. Pretty sure it was dotted lines so i was allowed to pass, but i misjudged the oncoming car. I was a split second away from a head on collision but thankfully made it through. Wife (fiance at the time) was sleeping in the back set with an 8 week old puppy in her arms and she had no idea all 3 of our lives could have been ended that moment.

Don't think i said a word for an hour or two after that and just drove in the slow lane for the remaining leg of the trip back to Calgary. This incident pops up in my head every couple of weeks ago and i have a mini anxiety attack because of how close it was. Now i don't bother passing on one-lane highways unless its absolutely safe - nothing questionable at all. It just ain't worth it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You rolled a car on track, and that wasn't even your hairiest moment
    Well I wasn't in that car. I was just following trying to see what the car was doing. And believe me, it was the slowest rollover I've ever seen. I'd say the car was stopped on the side of the hill for a full 5 seconds before it started tipping over, upside down, and that's it.

The car didn't even look damaged. Probably because it wasn't that pretty to begin with lol.

Name:  4A5649A7-916E-4D5C-B63C-45FC90B88855_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  93.9 KB

I think @benyl has a picture of it upside down. That civic was such a piece of shit car to drive < 100km/h. Anything above that, it was magic. I miss her.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Trucks

I was merging onto Stoney westbound from Sarcee (uphill leaving Beacon Heights) in my old Dodge Ram short box. Was pushing 20+ lbs boost in that 6.4L Hemi and hit some water running across the lane with big fat drag radials on the truck. Did a 360° in traffic >100mph and pulled off to the shoulder without incident. Had to go for a 5 minute walk to get my nerves back. Lol. The truck would also break traction on the centre line while pulling out to pass on the highway too often, so I sold it before my first kid was due to arrive. That machine would have ended me sooner than later.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 12-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Racing moments:
    I spun a CRX in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca in 2016 lol. Got it turned back around and off the line to accelerate before anyone caught up to me thankfully lol. That same race, an E36 BMW was up my ass for a couple laps and getting frustrated he couldn't get past me, so he tried to go into turn 4 at the same entry speed as the CRX and all I saw in the rearview was a big cloud of tire smoke and him going off into the runoff. Laughed my ass off.

Last year at the LA1K race at castrol with 30 minutes to go I was going to be bringing the car across the checkered after about 10 hours of racing. A massive downpour started and the defog of the car couldn't keep up. Huge standing puddles on the track and I was on slicks. So driving 10/10ths completely blind and our little 100 horsepower racecar is doing 3rd gear rolling burnouts aquaplaning and darting everywhere on the front straight. Ended up bringing it across the line 4th overall and 1st in class, 5 seconds behind the 3rd overall (and higher class) finisher.

I'll think of some streetcar pucker moments to post, I've got my share of those as well.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Racing moments:
    I spun a CRX in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca in 2016 lol. Got it turned back around and off the line to accelerate before anyone caught up to me thankfully lol. That same race, an E36 BMW was up my ass for a couple laps and getting frustrated he couldn't get past me, so he tried to go into turn 4 at the same entry speed as the CRX and all I saw in the rearview was a big cloud of tire smoke and him going off into the runoff. Laughed my ass off.

Last year at the LA1K race at castrol with 30 minutes to go I was going to be bringing the car across the checkered after about 10 hours of racing. A massive downpour started and the defog of the car couldn't keep up. Huge standing puddles on the track and I was on slicks. So driving 10/10ths completely blind and our little 100 horsepower racecar is doing 3rd gear rolling burnouts aquaplaning and darting everywhere on the front straight. Ended up bringing it across the line 4th overall and 1st in class, 5 seconds behind the 3rd overall (and higher class) finisher.

I'll think of some streetcar pucker moments to post, I've got my share of those as well.
    Simply post the vid of you in the Subaru following the hit and run, that vid is so awesome!
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Simply post the vid of you in the Subaru following the hit and run, that vid is so awesome!
    LoL, was that him!!? I remember that, too!

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Oh yeah lol, hit and run by a crackhead in a stolen truck, chased him down and did a j turn in front of him, he shit his pants and hooked a left into a parked car. I may have watched too many 70s cop movies.

Weirdly the M5, despite being the most powerful car I've owned, didn't really give me any sketchy moments. That car was so fucking planted, even when you got it sideways. Very pointable and steerable with the throttle. Certainly didn't feel like 4000lbs of sedan.

In my old AE86 there was this subdivision outside of Cochrane where I would go fuck around and drift. (EDIT: They had built and paved all the roads and curbs but no houses had been built yet, or even ground broken) One day I went there and it was dry, but had rained the previous day. There was a dust patch on the entry to one of the corners and so I went into the corner at normal speed, except the dust had turned into slick mud from the previous days rain. I went straight over a curb at 60ish kph and blew all four tires hahaha. Got some kijiji tires and mounted them, car was fine, no rims bent, no tie rods bent, took it like a champ.

Also one time I was kinda hauling a bit of ass in a turbo civic, but like 7/10ths, heading out on the 1A. Just past exshaw on that blind right hander over the top of the hill I was doing 120 or 130ish and there was a flock of bighorn sheep on the road, had to slam on the brakes and swerve.
    Last edited by Sentry; 12-11-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast