Quantcast
2020 Beer Advent Calendar Review: Phillips Space Case - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Beer Advent Calendar Review: Phillips Space Case

My Ride
    *The First*

Default 2020 Beer Advent Calendar Review: Phillips Space Case

Day 0: Phillips Brewing
    I have managed to hold off starting this one even though my other advent calendar is turning out to be "very 2020" in that only about 25% is good. Recall that I bought two beer advent calendars this year because I couldn't find any for the longest time and when I did, I couldn't make up my mind, so I bought this Phillips one, as well. It only has 12 cans this year, but they are tall cans. So, I figured it shouldn't be started until (I suppose) December 13 so that the final one comes on Xmas Eve. I had to count that on my fingers, twice...
    Here is a brief preamble about Phillips Brewing. They started in about 2001 right down the street (Government Street) from some True OG brewers called Vancouver Island Brewing who have been at it since 1984! This makes them "newer" to the industry but pushing a couple of decades, they have done extremely well.
    Although West Coast, they understand that making beer isn't a like a hot sauce competition where hops are the active ingredient, and for that, I am grateful. They do still make some incredibly hoppy beer, but they are not a one-trick pony and I think that is how they have done so well. They are still very experimental and have always prided themselves on having neat artwork on their cans/packaging.
    Do you remember the band Ween? I'll say that Phillips is like Ween in that they have an extreme cult following while remaining largely under the mainstream radar. People cream their jeans for their weird Electric Unicorn beer while many don't care for it. Blue Buck has been widely available across BC and Alberta, but still not crazy popular. Analog-78 is one of my favourite beers, ever. You see it from time to time and they keep making it; but, they are not about to become the next Okanagan Spring juggernaut of microbrew.

Name:  Screenshot_20201212-074707_Gallery.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  118.9 KB

Their previous beer advent calendars have been legendary. They used to call them "Snow Case" and they would get snapped up instantly from stores. This year, they have called it a Space Case and it features 12 experiments that they made in extremely tiny batches throughout 2020 that were only available on tap in their facility (which fits maybe 10 people).
    There is going to be some weird beer in here, but I am looking forward to it! I apologize in advance if some of my reviews are a little shorter as I need to do double duty in the final 12 days before Christmas.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Blue buck is one of my favourite beers to have one or two of at a good pub. Or in the case of one epic night, to order in pairs with a yellow lager. I heartily recommend ordering your pints two at a time in this manner if you want to amuse yourself. It's amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Blue buck is one of my favourite beers to have one or two of at a good pub. Or in the case of one epic night, to order in pairs with a yellow lager. I heartily recommend ordering your pints two at a time in this manner if you want to amuse yourself. It's amusing.
    Well then,

Name:  72409789.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  82.5 KB

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I really liked the space case, there are some different beers in there for sure! I'll save the spoilers and just watch along as you drink. Great guys to hang with those Phillips dudes, have a friend that works for them and I definitely never pass up on their brews. Electric unicorn has been one of my go to's for years
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    I really liked the space case, there are some different beers in there for sure! I'll save the spoilers and just watch along as you drink. Great guys to hang with those Phillips dudes, have a friend that works for them and I definitely never pass up on their brews. Electric unicorn has been one of my go to's for years
    Cool. Feel free to comment while I go and we can compare. Did you do it for the first twelve days? I was debating starting the pair of calendars on Nov 19 so I could have just one beer every day, but changed my mind. I'm worried this last dash is going to be challenging!

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Cool. Feel free to comment while I go and we can compare. Did you do it for the first twelve days? I was debating starting the pair of calendars on Nov 19 so I could have just one beer every day, but changed my mind. I'm worried this last dash is going to be challenging!
    I just started it when I bought it back in November, working shifts doesn't make it terribly conducive to drinking beer every day haha
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    *The First*

Day 1: Mind Maize Blue Corn Lager
    First off, this beer is purple. I'm not talking about a slight hue, it's violently violet.

Name:  Screenshot_20201213-143422_Gallery.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  20.7 KB

That seems like a dumb gimmick to go along with their claims of using blue corn, but let's see what we got.
    Holy shit. This thing is absolutely delicious! I was not expecting that and this is a nice surprise. I cannot think of a single thing about this beer that reminds you it's purple. It is quite refreshing and a bit crisp like you might expect from a lighter beer, but it's also not a foamy nightmare like many lighter beers are. Although, it's not a lighter beer - it is 4.8%, so my comments don't totally make sense here, but hopefully you are smelling what I'm stepping in.
    I would drink the shit out of this beer anytime, anywhere. Ski hill, beach, outdoor fire or Vegas, this shit is goin' down fo real! A super easy drinking, flavorful lager.

Name:  Screenshot_20201213-143359_Gallery.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  54.5 KB

That is seriously weird when you look at the insane colour. Way to go, Phillips! We are off to a great start!

My Ride
    *The First*

Day 2: Deep Orbit Single Hop Pale Ale
    It's kind of bland. It tastes extremely British, to me. Like a proper Bitter rather than some hoppy nonsense. I like it, alright and there's certainly nothing disagreeable about it... But... It's really nothing special.

Name:  20201118_181303.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  39.4 KB

I could see there being a tiny market for this, but too obscure to keep going with in this part of the world - particularly since you'd be somewhat competing with Warthog.
    I just wanted to feel more special.
    /Title of my sex tape.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I love warthog. Probably my favorite big rock beer. So that's a compelling review.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I love warthog. Probably my favorite big rock beer. So that's a compelling review.
    I also really like Warthog, but I only buy it maybe twice per year.
    Have you ever, ever seen it in a pub? I haven't. I want to go to that pub.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's hard enough to find in a liquor store. Yeah a real rare one.

My Ride
    Canyonero

BRING BACK ANNEX BITTER DIVISION

sorry just showing solidarity for y'all lovers of proper bitters/ESBs

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    BRING BACK ANNEX BITTER DIVISION

sorry just showing solidarity for y'all lovers of proper bitters/ESBs
    Testify, my Bender looking mafk!!

My Ride
    *The First*

Day 3: Lamp Post London Fog Witbeer
    Cloudy, as expected. No bits or particulate which is alright. Nice head from a company that understands how to carbonate a carbonated beverage. Doesn't stink but is hoppy. Citrus and floral balance very much like a Hoegaarden, (and you should know that Hoegaarden is a very special and tricky piece of art). Later on, it feels creamy which is shockingly nice. I have a lot to say about this.
    Do any of you esteemed gentleman (or super classy ladies) smoke cigars? Silly question as #Beyond needs an avenue for employing BurningBordens. Have you ever noticed that some reviewers discuss the cigar in thirds? Have you noticed any particular sticks where this truly makes sense - as in the final third is a completely different smoke from the first third? Well, the end of this beer is turning into the back third of one of those types of cigar. Very odd, but a nice surprise. This beer turned out to be special when it didn't start that way.
    That. Never. Happens.

Name:  Screenshot_20201215-193433_Gallery.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  41.6 KB

If I was in Victoria and they pulled this off one week, I'd be back at that tap room twice more to try and understand more about what was going on with this thing.
    So super cool and yet so fleeting, that we'll almost certainly never see this beer again.

____
    Aside - if any of you can find me some Casa Toraņo Maduro Robusto cigars, I will pay you whatever you want to get my hands back on some. It's been years ! The most approachable, oily, slightly spicy cigar I've ever had.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

So Phillips is generally kicking Parallels ass?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    So Phillips is generally kicking Parallels ass?
    Well, it's too early to say, conclusively. But, almost certainly [YES]!

Parallel is 0 for 15 in the "this is awesome" category while Phillips is 1 for 3.
    Parallel has had 1 or 2 that were cruel and unusual punishment, while Phillips isn't even close.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Parallels beers mostly suck. The craft pil is probably the only decent drinking one. Not surprised to see Phillips taking the lead. The mind maize is definitely surprisingly good.

Phillips has a soda company too and they are all very good.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Parallels beers mostly suck. The craft pil is probably the only decent drinking one. Not surprised to see Phillips taking the lead. The mind maize is definitely surprisingly good.

Phillips has a soda company too and they are all very good.
    That's cool! How did you get a Mind Maize? Did you buy a Space Case, as well? Please fight with me when I say something you don't agree with.

I also like some of their soda. I recall their ginger one being crazy ginger, but I guess it is neat to have that natural flavour. I think I recall their root beer being super good.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Big fan of all beers Phillips so can’t say I’m surprised. Tiger shark is life

My Ride
    *The First*

Day 4: Prismatism Dry Hopped Sour
    So, so sour. Is this a joke?! Fuck-a-duck-sour! Like bad children's candy and bile.
    Did you ever have a time in your maybe Jr-High School days where it was cool to eat or snort or touch against your eye the most absurdly sour "candy" available for purchase? I recall the gas station near my house selling these gummies that were allegedly "rejected by QC because they totes too sour" or whatever blatant lie. We bought that shit up like it was contraband drugs that "the man" was about to take away from us.

Name:  Screenshot_20201216-190627_Gallery.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  55.9 KB

Well, maybe this is beer for children because I'm a grown-ass man now and I'm not interested in this mixed genre, retro TearJerkerBeer. I tried to drink it slower and that didn't help.
    Bonus fact - the foam looks like that grotesque froth you see in the stagnant area of a creek. Mmmmm, picture it.

Couldn't finish.
    Terrible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast