Quantcast
Police on scene of double fatal crash in southwest Calgary - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Police on scene of double fatal crash in southwest Calgary

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have seen this time and time again, the book is pretty light on DUI, even on multiple deaths.
    This.
    We can't even get a habitual DUI offender declared a Dangerous Offender. Take Roger Walsh, for example.
    Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering and theft were entered into evidence during his 2009 trial for killing a lady in her wheelchair and continuing on for another 10km before cruising into a ditch.
    He was not declared a Dangerous Offender and he got out on parole in December of 2019!

My Ride
    NC1

Holy wtf that is tragic as hell. Rip. They look like really good ppl too. Far too young. Fkn hell man.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Very tragic...RIP

I know it's probably a coincidence, as a lot of people were in the same boat, but wasn't there a member here that had to postpone their Hawaiian wedding because of covid?

Oh man that is brutally tragic. RIP to that couple

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    Very tragic...RIP

I know it's probably a coincidence, as a lot of people were in the same boat, but wasn't there a member here that had to postpone their Hawaiian wedding because of covid?
    yes it was @finboy , I also had this thought. Not the same guy though.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This.
    We can't even get a habitual DUI offender declared a Dangerous Offender. Take Roger Walsh, for example.
    Walsh's 18 previous impaired driving convictions and 114 previous convictions in total for assault, uttering threats, breaking and entering and theft were entered into evidence during his 2009 trial for killing a lady in her wheelchair and continuing on for another 10km before cruising into a ditch.
    He was not declared a Dangerous Offender and he got out on parole in December of 2019!
    This is exactly where the system fails miserably - assholes like this who will never get rehabilitated and never learn. We need laws to take away peoples freedom like these - permanently - and then sent to a facility thats in the middle of Africa perhaps. The cost to house these people annually there would be far less than 114 convictions and 18 DUI convictions.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

I'm surprised more anti coppers aren't throwing blame at the cops for trying to stop the dickbag

"If they never pursued him he would of never killed these people"

Sad thing is, the cops will get more internal scrutiny from this shit than that asshole.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    I'm surprised more anti coppers aren't throwing blame at the cops for trying to stop the dickbag

Sad thing is, the cops will get more internal scrutiny from this shit than that asshole.

From what I understand after the initial stop they did not pursue when the car took off.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post

The don't chase for that reason and it's been used by defense lawyers plenty of times.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Yeah they didn't chase and fuckhead still binned it. Also DUI penalties get less severe the thicker the guys wallet is, that's really the main thing that effects sentencing if we're honest. Actually, was this even a DUI? I don't remember seeing that in the story, just that he ran and crashed.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    From what I understand after the initial stop they did not pursue when the car took off.
    Yeah, I gather the same.

Just to be clear- I'm not putting any blame on anyone other than the asshole behind the wheel. Sad situation all around.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    yes it was @finboy , I also had this thought. Not the same guy though.
    Still kickin here in briar hill, can’t afford that aspen life.

That is a rough way to go, hope they lock the fucker up for a long time, but it would surprise me if he is back out in under 5
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Lariat

Is it bad that I hope the guy behind the wheel gets covid while in hospital and has long lasting effect etc? More punishment than what charges would come from the dui/multiple deaths etc
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    4x4

https://trib.al/74bcBQA

See 1500$ fine for killing someone...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    https://trib.al/74bcBQA

See 1500$ fine for killing someone...
    Thats a failing to yield case - ie. an accident. Not reckless endangerment.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Im trying to figure out where the couple that were killed were in relation to the car that hit them. The article says they had been shopping at aspen landing and were walking home. So that to me says that they were probably crossing 85th at 17th ave. However if the driver had of been going down 17th he would of had to turn into the oncoming lane on 85th in order to hit them to come to rest at where the accident took place which was about 10m North of the intersection on the west side. If he had turned his car into the correct lane going north then his car wouldn't of ended up in the lake unless it flew over the concrete barrier which doesnt appear damaged.

Then the other possibility is they were crossing 17th towards Montreux and he hit them then the car swerved right and went into the lake however there is a power box (untouched) and a yield sign (also untouched) just past that intersection on the right hand side. I wonder if the cops will provide any sort of explanation on this after their investigation.

In my picture the car ended up in that red circle is that stuff is / was all busted the next day. I believe the car was travelling down 17th ave as the police note they stopped him on 17th ave sw at 69th st. All the stuff thats not in the red circle is undamaged so theres alot there for a car to weave around and end up there (especially at a high rate of speed)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nzwasp; 12-17-2020 at 07:39 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

The utility boxes were destroyed. Saw them mangled the day after.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

yes they are the ones in the red circle - my circle isnt perfect. Still doesnt explain how the car went from 17th ave unless slightly north west to end up crashing into there.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Maybe they were southbound, crossing 17th on the East side of 85th? Driver is too busy checking his mirror to see them, makes contact, loses control, which sends him flying into the north west side triangle curb.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Maybe they were southbound, crossing 17th on the East side of 85th? Driver is too busy checking his mirror to see them, makes contact, loses control, which sends him flying into the north west side triangle curb.
    Hmm potentially. That would mean taking a big round about way (going through aspen woods) to get to the same place instead of just continuing along 17th ave. Although I guess if he knew the cops were potentially following him he would do that.

a 40-year-old man and a 36-year-old woman, who had been struck by the silver Acura while crossing 17 Avenue at 85 Street.
    I guess this clears up where the couple who were killed were, I watched some clip just now about it and a witness said that the car hit a concrete block, lost control hit the pedestrians and then kept rolling towards the pond. The high rate of speed was estimated to be 130kph
    Last edited by nzwasp; 12-17-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast