Quantcast
Who is getting the COVID-19 Vaccine? - Page 34 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you getting the COVID-19 Vaccine?

Voters
244. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    176 72.13%
  • No

    37 15.16%
  • Undecided

    31 12.70%
Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 44 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 1529

Thread: Who is getting the COVID-19 Vaccine?

  1. #661
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,631
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PHAC has updated their timeline

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...hows-1.5314048



    On the low end of the timeline with just the two vaccines, that would represent ~1.6M Albertans vaccinated by the end of June which means pretty much everybody over the age of 45 and the at risk groups would have it. Even if only two thirds of the low-end estimate were done, it would still be over a million Albertans and the over 55 and other high risk groups being covered heading into Q3. So something to be optimistic about for reopening plans and schedules.
    I doubt we'll see any sort of widespread lifting of restrictions exceeding what has already been laid out with only 30% of people vaccinated. Certainly not at the federal level with regards to travel and I'm sure the city will cling to their mask bylaw until after the election in October.

    And the 24.5 million number is bullishit, including vaccines that haven't been approved or that we have no delivery timeline for makes no sense.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt we'll see any sort of widespread lifting of restrictions exceeding what has already been laid out with only 30% of people vaccinated. Certainly not at the federal level with regards to travel and I'm sure the city will cling to their mask bylaw until after the election in October.

    And the 24.5 million number is bullishit, including vaccines that haven't been approved or that we have no delivery timeline for makes no sense.
    The 30% number would help us get to what's laid out, which is encouraging as it is much more open than even last summer. Since hospitalizations are tied to the reopening schedule, and the higher risk of hospitalizations are in the over 50 group, getting those groups vaccinated by the end of Q2 accelerates the opening schedule.

    Mask bylaws will stick around, but they're the least burdensome anyway and should be the least concern if it means other things are opening.

    I wouldn't worry at all about the high number, it's the low one that matters as a target and and anything above is a bonus whether it's 20 doses or 20M doses.

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Due to the US winter blast, many states are paring down their shipments until they can get the basic infrastructure going again (people can't get shot, if they can't get to where they are giving shots because the roads are impassable)

    We might actually get our full allotments in Canada, plus a little bit.
    SN11 - Nope.

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,538
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I doubt we'll see any sort of widespread lifting of restrictions exceeding what has already been laid out with only 30% of people vaccinated. Certainly not at the federal level with regards to travel and I'm sure the city will cling to their mask bylaw until after the election in October.

    And the 24.5 million number is bullishit, including vaccines that haven't been approved or that we have no delivery timeline for makes no sense.
    I don't think we plan for anything to change until July earliest anyway.

    As for mask by law, if we do hit 80-90% vaccination by Sep and there isn't a new one that render the vaccine pointless, I hope it will go away. This risk come this October election is that it becomes the wedge issue. To me the water fluoride plebiscites is almost designed as a distraction away from other election issues.

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The data don't really support this at all.
    Why?
    Don't ~5% of people experience vaccine reactions that mimic flu-like symptoms? Stick vaccines in people >80yo for a virus they have never experienced and I'd certainly think some of them are going to die. I believe age>80 already technically counts as a comorbidity, so add one more simple one like diabeetus or low O2 Sat's and I think we can expect some higher death rates.

    What is "the data" saying to contradict this?

  6. #666
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,566
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why?
    Don't ~5% of people experience vaccine reactions that mimic flu-like symptoms? Stick vaccines in people >80yo for a virus they have never experienced and I'd certainly think some of them are going to die. I believe age>80 already technically counts as a comorbidity, so add one more simple one like diabeetus or low O2 Sat's and I think we can expect some higher death rates.

    What is "the data" saying to contradict this?
    The clinical trials. That's why we do clinical trials. You need to collect actual data on outcomes, and then compare to a placebo.

  7. #667
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The clinical trials. That's why we do clinical trials. You need to collect actual data on outcomes, and then compare to a placebo.
    And those trials showed 0% deaths in giving the vaccine to very elderly people?
    That would be astonishing, but I sure doubt that number is zero.

  8. #668
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,566
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And those trials showed 0% deaths in giving the vaccine to very elderly people?
    That would be astonishing, but I sure doubt that number is zero.
    https://www.fda.gov/media/144246/download

    Fill your boots.

    Deaths were comparable between placebo and treatment group. Adverse reactions were less significant in the elderly because of their less robust immune systems.

  9. #669
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    925
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The data don't really support this at all.
    I'm sorry, which part? Are you disagreeing with the fact that triggering systemic inflammatory responses in co-morbid elderly is not a complication free endeavor? Fevers, antibodies, inflammatory free radicals, etc all have the potential to tip a possibly delicate balance into one that can cause acute exacerbations of existing conditions. The trial data on it was not very focused on that particular group and was limited.

    To be clear, I'm not saying its a death shot. The statement was made that a certain percentage of deaths are possibly attributed to receiving the vaccine, this was found to be a possible correlation in a couple of countries that were administering vaccines and having deaths within days of this. Not a significant number by any means, but we were talking anecdotally, and really in no significant number.

    In the trial (I can't recall which one off hand) there was 6 deaths in 43,000 individuals. 0.0013%. And the trials did not focus on the group in question despite them being the priority. Some degree of death is to be expected.

    Having had the vaccination, and knowing the response that I had (and countless colleagues, being knocked to their asses for a day or two) to the vaccine, being a healthy and fit individual, you better believe that a response including a high fever, tachycardia, etc would have a possible negative effect on someone who is elderly and unhealthy. I'm unsure how its even an argument. I've seen the most trivial infections compromise people to near death

    edit: I just saw your reply above, and I'll just reiterate that the groups experiencing death were not in large numbers in the trials. You are taking a very black and white approach to this, and disregarding the vast variance of state of health, body, organ condition on a group that wasn't largely studied in the trials.
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 02-19-2021 at 07:50 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    No way to prioritize different groups without leaving out groups.
    herald-vacceine.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  11. #671
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,631
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I’d challenge any teacher or bus driver to explain which people included in Phase 2 they are more important than and should receive the vaccine ahead of. Put their name to it and stand behind their statement. I bet you’ll get crickets then
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  12. #672
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,223
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d challenge any teacher or bus driver to explain which people included in Phase 2 they are more important than and should receive the vaccine ahead of. Put their name to it and stand behind their statement. I bet you’ll get crickets then
    Oh I think you vastly underestimated how important teachers think they are
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  13. #673
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,828
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Hey @Buster , is there data to suggest the efficacy of the two available Canadian vaccines against the variant strains of covid? Do we suspect it will be much different than the main strain?
    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh god, don't get him started.

  14. #674
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh I think you vastly underestimated how important teachers think they are
    I think you're both right, but he's saying they're letting their union do all the talking for them. I agree.

  15. #675
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,566
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey @Buster , is there data to suggest the efficacy of the two available Canadian vaccines against the variant strains of covid? Do we suspect it will be much different than the main strain?
    I don't think there is good data. That is, there isn't good data on outcomes - just theoretical stuff. (There also isn't good data to show that they are "more contagious" or whatever the media constantly spout.)

    I do know that both Moderna and Pfizer have the ability to literally print off a different vaccine using whatever sequence they want. Both of them have ready, and can simply start making them if needed.

    Don't forget there is a big difference between "ineffective" and "less effective". The current versions of the vaccines are so effective that a modest reduction in effectiveness would still be fine.

  16. #676
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    Trucks
    Posts
    1,582
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Can we just edit the poll results to 100% yes? It will not be a choice in the next few years.

  17. #677
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    925
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think there is good data. That is, there isn't good data on outcomes - just theoretical stuff. (There also isn't good data to show that they are "more contagious" or whatever the media constantly spout.)

    I do know that both Moderna and Pfizer have the ability to literally print off a different vaccine using whatever sequence they want. Both of them have ready, and can simply start making them if needed.

    Don't forget there is a big difference between "ineffective" and "less effective". The current versions of the vaccines are so effective that a modest reduction in effectiveness would still be fine.
    So its ok to talk grey when you're supporting your point .........
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  18. #678
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.fda.gov/media/144246/download

    Fill your boots.

    Deaths were comparable between placebo and treatment group. Adverse reactions were less significant in the elderly because of their less robust immune systems.
    Ok. This was the important statement I wasn't seeing, before. That's really surprising to me.
    Thanks for the link. I'll hopefully comb through that eventually.

  19. #679
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,418
    Rep Power
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we just edit the poll results to 100% yes? It will not be a choice in the next few years.
    LoL!!! You don't honestly think that the govt will force vaccinations in Canada, do you?

    "My __________ and my feelings make it so I am not taking your vaccine" said tens of thousands of "people".

  20. #680
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    MuricaMuscle
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL!!! You don't honestly think that the govt will force vaccinations in Canada, do you?

    "My __________ and my feelings make it so I am not taking your vaccine" said tens of thousands of "people".
    They will never make it mandatory but they sure as hell will impose restrictions on you if you donít. Show me your papers! Mandatory self-isolation in hotels if you donít have the vaccination tattooed numbers. Ironically Israel is already implementing these regulations vs people who arenít vaccinated.

Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34 35 44 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. H1N1 Vaccine - will you get it? do you trust it?

    By barmanjay in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 674
    Latest Threads: 12-03-2020, 11:23 PM
  2. Will you take the COVID vaccine?

    By sabad66 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 84
    Latest Threads: 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM
  3. H1N1 Vaccine???

    By ekguy in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 10-26-2009, 10:48 AM
  4. Shot/Vaccine History? (Tetanus Shot)

    By Joe-G in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM
  5. MMR Vaccine / Autism Link a Lie from the start?

    By hampstor in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 02-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •