Quantcast
What's more scary, Covid19 or the Vaccine? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What's more scary, Covid19 or the Vaccine?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Covid19

60 73.17%
  • Vaccine

22 26.83%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's more scary, Covid19 or the Vaccine?

They cancelled an Australian trial because it was giving false positives for AIDS.

So take that news in whatever way you want. Screw NASA. Bye now.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know if people take this vaccine it'll be a 99.7% chance of surviving? None of these vaccines have been administered in a large scale like its about to be.
    A larger sample size will not reveal events with a higher probability than the clinical trials revealed them...they will only reveal events with a lower probability.

(Unless only a part of a person can get covid, but I digress).
    Last edited by Buster; 12-15-2020 at 12:25 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    They cancelled an Australian trial because it was giving false positives for AIDS.

So take that news in whatever way you want. Screw NASA. Bye now.
    That's their own university's vaccine I believe. And you get HIV antibodies, bonus.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Masks are scarier. Who knows what people are hiding under those masks.
    I have been trying to be blissfully unaware and just assume there are a lot more good looking people out there now with masks!

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    That stat is the average UN-VACCINATED Canadian's chance of surviving
    What’s your definition of average Canadian? Just excluding anyone who is 60 or older?

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    What’s your definition of average Canadian? Just excluding anyone who is 60 or older?
    No, this is simply taking the population of Canada vs. Deaths in Canada.

Sure you can break things down into risk for each group and demographic, but you can do the same for anything.

This was an example of what the people on the other side of the debate are thinking.

I'm trying to create a parallel in the way each group is thinking on their side of the debate.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

I am in no rush for the vaccine. I don't need to inject anything that was expedited without sufficient testing. Plus, if everyone else is vaccinated, I don't need to, as there will be plenty of health resources for me to utilize if I do ever got sick.
    It is a Win-Win.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

No, this is simply taking the population of Canada vs. Deaths in Canada.

Sure you can break things down into risk for each group and demographic, but you can do the same for anything.

This was an example of what the people on the other side of the debate are thinking.

I'm trying to create a parallel in the way each group is thinking on their side of the debate.
    Why would you use population of Canada as the denominator? That would assume that everyone in Canada has had covid already.

Confirmed cases and then maybe add another 10-20% for unconfirmed cases would be a better “death rate” although obviously far from perfect still. In that case it works out to 2% (but obviously almost all of these are 65 yrs old and older)

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Why would you use population of Canada as the denominator? That would assume that everyone in Canada has had covid already.

Confirmed cases and then maybe add another 10-20% for unconfirmed cases would be a better “death rate” although obviously far from perfect still. In that case it works out to 2% (but obviously almost all of these are 65 yrs old and older)

Now we are discussing the efficacy of statistics

This is why people on both sides of the debate do not understand each other and think the other side is a bunch of idiots.

Statistics is all about perception.

Name:  perception.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  30.9 KB

Where is the "not scared of either and just don't like humans in general" choice? Something tells me that one would have gotten more check marks than anti-vaxxer fears as understood by beyond...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

*DISCLAIMER- Just being devils advocate on this one*

Isn't this is same argument the anti-vaxxers have? Why be afraid of something you have a 99.7% chance of surviving?
    For your devils advocate.

Would you rather a 99.7% chance of surviving but businesses keep shutting down, travel restrictions, and all this bullshit?

Or take the vaccine that a millions of people have already taken (by the time general public in Canada get it, 50-100 million Americans will already have taken it) and then get back to regular life.

I'm ready as fuck to go back to normal life. Thats what it comes down for me. Get this shit over with so we can go back to life.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Can we make an option for 'I don't give a fuck about either, however I practice covid safety for the sake of loved ones who are compromised, I find it fascinating how fearful the general public is, and will also likely get the vaccine eventually so I can travel again'

Lots of us would fall in that category right?!

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Can we make an option for 'I don't give a fuck about either, however I practice covid safety for the sake of loved ones who are compromised, I find it fascinating how fearful the general public is, and will also likely get the vaccine eventually so I can travel again'

Lots of us would fall in that category right?!
    You would fall into option 1

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

*DISCLAIMER- Just being devils advocate on this one*

Isn't this is same argument the anti-vaxxers have? Why be afraid of something you have a 99.7% chance of surviving?
    Fair question. Difference is that the side effect from the vaccine is probably nowhere near death, or likely even remotely close to as bad at the symptoms of getting the virus. (Also long-term, which Covid damage is unknown at this point). Unless it turns us all to zombies, which would be worse - but that's really just movie fodder.

And let's be clear: My 99.5% estimation is hardly scientific. I just meant there is an almost certainly it will be safe. These vaccines are going to make the labs ridiculous money, but it would also sink a company if the vaccine was proven to cause serious issues. If I truly put thought into a percentage of safety, it would probably be logically closer to 99.99%, if not higher.

Also, I'm not sure where you got .3% from, but John Hopkins shows no country that low, and some countries like Mexico as high as 9% fatality rate. (Wow). Most experts seem to agree it's an average of about 3%, give or take. Now if you are talking about the entire population and current infection rate, then sure - but unless we want to stay in lockdown for decades, the # of infected would rise exponentially over time until most of us got it, in which case we might as well just rip off the bandage and let the chips fall where they may now.

Finally, let's look at track record. We have all been saved from experiencing a myriad of really horrible diseases like Polio, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Tuberculosis, etc, and I don't think there was ever mass death (or possibly any death?) as a result of mass vax. Yes, there are those claiming Autism in a tiny percentage of cases, though such claims are backed by zero science. And yes, this vaccine was rushed but I would venture to guess ALL vaccines against deadly viruses were rushed, probably with less stringent protocols in the past.

Nah. Considering many other countries will be testing it out in mass before we do, by the time it's my turn I'll be willing without hesitation.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 12-15-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You would fall into option 1
    Damn, you're right

My Ride
    Edge

Not sure if this has been posted in any of the COVID threads, but it offers an interesting perspective on why the rush on these vaccines isn't necessarily a bad thing:

https://theconversation.com/less-tha...alarmed-150414

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted in any of the COVID threads, but it offers an interesting perspective on why the rush on these vaccines isn't necessarily a bad thing:

https://theconversation.com/less-tha...alarmed-150414
    With all the BS out there, I prefer to listen to releases from organizations, but this does sound promising.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My biggest fear with Covid isn't so much me getting sick, but getting my parents sick for example. My wife will be getting the vaccine shortly, so I might as well get it too when I can. If the whole vaccine required to travel becomes a thing, I am definitely getting it.

In Feb of last year I was in Japan and I got pneumonia, was in the hospital for 5 days on oxygen. That shit is pretty much what Covid feels like when shit gets serious, so I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, and is one of the reasons I try my best to follow the health guidelines, even thought some of them are pretty stupid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2