Quantcast
AC Voltage Recorder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AC Voltage Recorder

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default AC Voltage Recorder

We just moved to a new house and as I was replacing some of the receptacles and switches, I was using my multimeter to ensure the power was off at the location. The problem is when the power was back on, the voltages were really high, like 135-150V! I've since ordered a higher quality multimeter before ripping it into Enmax. I also have a fairly simple power meter (example: https://www.amazon.ca/Kuman-Electric...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==) and it shows real-time voltages, and now that device is showing low, like 110-119V!

I thought I could easily find a device that measures and records AC voltage accurately and export the data, but finding a device like this that isn't lab-grade $$$ is oddly difficult.

Does such a device exist without breaking the bank?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't know, following.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

A cheap way to do it is to use a smart UPS. My old APC does logging with the Powerchute software.
    Name:  upslog.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  210.0 KB

My Ride
    Trucks

Buy a cheap RMS multimeter off Amazon and repeat your tests and for the love of God please record the conversation with Enmax when you give them hell. Haha

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

It sounds like you have a broken neutral somewhere. You are probably reading high on that cct but low on the other leg. I would get an electrician in asap a broken neutral could kill your devices or burn your house down.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sounds like you have a broken neutral somewhere. You are probably reading high on that cct but low on the other leg. I would get an electrician in asap a broken neutral could kill your devices or burn your house down.
    He doesn’t have a test meter to actually measure rms voltages. He’s basically guessing.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Hang on back up, replacing switches and receptacles but no proper multimeter!?!....

First call should be to insurance to make sure you are covered (both home and life lol rip u ded)
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This is the multimeter I have, it's not a Fluke but for most of the home use it's been fine up until I started to question the values recently: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multi.../dp/B0002GU142

Additionally, I have Klein receptacle tester and nothing has showed up as a 'broken neutral', both I and the home inspectors have tested tons of plugs throughout the house.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This is the multimeter I have, it's not a Fluke but for most of the home use it's been fine up until I started to question the values recently: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multi.../dp/B0002GU142

Additionally, I have Klein receptacle tester and nothing has showed up as a 'broken neutral', both I and the home inspectors have tested tons of plugs throughout the house.
    Ok, the last Amazon link you provided was for a plug in power monitor. It seemed like in your post that was all you had for testing, but I would still trust all your circuits are 120v-ish before believing what that meter was saying.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

When I replace a receptacle I don't test the voltage at all. #neandertal

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I don't have a no-contact tester so I use it to check I've shut the power off properly. New house, terrible panel labelling. A job for later for sure because it drives me bonkers.
    Ultracrepidarian

So we have a great (and timely) answer by Oswald Cobblepot, and an OP who is smart enough to be a danger to himself; This is my kind of thread, Subscribed!

Using a dedicated plug is a great way to avoid potential danger, but if you have to go probing line voltages use the "one hand" rule, meaning you don't risk creating a path thru the vital parts of your meat husk.
    Last edited by e31; 08-31-2022 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Remember, safety first!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Tis true, a smart UPS would be great and at least have more than one purpose, but I was hoping to not spend several hundred dollars for what generally seems like a really trivial task of logging voltage. Fluke makes a device for exactly what I'm wanting, just a couple thousand bucks later!

Appreciate the safety reminder though! I've worked as an electrician for a few years after high school before going to Uni so I feel pretty comfortable around household electricity. Tinkering with anything coming from the main line is a different story and actually completely in Enmax's wheelhouse, and right of way.

I spoke with a Master electrician this evening, agreed something didn't seem right and his suggestion was to call Enmax first to have them check the voltage coming from the line, something could be up with the taps on the transformer on the pole feeding the 5-6 houses. Once they confirm everything looks good on their end, I may bring him over to do a comprehensive electrical inspection. Good news is that bringing the Enmax guys out costs me nothing!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    Probably this, get a sparky in to check and repair bad wiring first. I found some messed up wiring in my house the first few years in, usually by getting shocked haha. All my 2 way switches were messed. I have a Fluke IV, I would video record the live displayed data with my phone.

I rarely turn the power off if I need to install a celling light, fan, receptacle or switch unless absolutely necessary, quite experienced working in live panels here so YMMV. Getting shocked with 120/240v 1PH is really no problem unless your jumping into the bathtub with it. I hit myself with 30A, 100vdc one time and it definitely could have held on to me if I wasn't working overhead and I dropped down and away from my dmm leads. 575vac can hurts pretty intensely. My examples are not applicable but I felt like sharing.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.