Quantcast
Have you or anyone you know gotten COVID? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you or anyone you know gotten COVID?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting.. so my friend didn’t start dating this gal until august of 2020.. So he may of had it before without knowing. Was there a case with your coworker where he didn’t see his wife and could of had it?
    Last summer an old co-workers entire family got it, wife and three daughters all tested positive. They all quarantined for two weeks in the same house. He got three tests done and tested negative all three times.

So if he had gotten it previously they should have as well which means either the girls got it twice, first time asymptomatic along with him, or he somehow had natural antibodies already.

My son caught it last November, had relatively mild symptoms for four days and then it was over. All close contacts including my wife and myself and his friends all tested negative.

My Ride
    Cummins F10

My good friend was bedridden for almost 4 days (no pre existing, but was a smoker), but his wife barely had any symptoms. Both had the UK variant.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Last summer an old co-workers entire family got it, wife and three daughters all tested positive. They all quarantined for two weeks in the same house. He got three tests done and tested negative all three times.

So if he had gotten it previously they should have as well which means either the girls got it twice, first time asymptomatic along with him, or he somehow had natural antibodies already.
    Its also possible he was asymptomatic and spread it to one of them and they spread it to the rest. So when they get tested he appears negative as he's mostly recovered and they are all positive. The 2 week recovery is precautionary so you don't spread it more; it doesn't mean that an individual will test positive up to the 13th day. He literally could have got tested one day after his body fought the virus enough to not register on a test. The test doesn't show if you've had covid previously or not, only active viral load.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

last October my friends got it at a Halloween gathering, all but 1 (9/10 or something) and his gf had it and they lived together and he still didn't get it ever.... same deal, in my head i think maybe he had it early on

I'm currently recovering from Covid. I caught from a family members kid who had it and didn't have symptoms. Great thing is that i told work and since we are working from home and we were short i had to work through it

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    last October my friends got it at a Halloween gathering, all but 1 (9/10 or something) and his gf had it and they lived together and he still didn't get it ever.... same deal, in my head i think maybe he had it early on
    Any Darwin award winners, or did everyone recover?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Any Darwin award winners, or did everyone recover?
    it met the guidelines at the time haha, i still thought it was covid karma.

Lots of people.

Tow truck driver - entire family got it, they all died including him.

Many teachers - all died.

Daughter's friend - died.

Two co-workers - both dead.

Vet office - all dead.

SDM near me - all dead.

All suffered horribly as well.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I don’t follow all of this covid stuff too closely but thought this was interesting...

Friends girlfriend tests positive for covid, they’ve been together nearly every day since January 2021. After she gets positive test, my friend stops seeing her in person. He gets tested 4 days later, negative. Tests again 7 days after his girlfriends test and negative again. We both figure he must of had covid asymptotically before this? Has anyone else heard of cases like this where people have been in very close contact and one is covid free?
    This is actually may be the norm, despite what the media says.

"In this meta-analysis of 54 studies with 77 758 participants, the estimated overall household secondary attack rate was 16.6%"

What's even more surprising, is that in households where the person was asymptomatic, the secondary infection rate was 0.7%. If someone iis living in the same household as someone with an asymptomatic infection and only has a 0.7% chance of contracting it, I wonder how much less that rate is when in the general public. This appears to contradict the notion that asymptomatic people are responsible for large amounts of spread.

"Estimated mean household secondary attack rate from symptomatic index cases (18.0%; 95% CI, 14.2%-22.1%) was significantly higher than from asymptomatic or presymptomatic index cases (0.7%; 95% CI, 0%-4.9%; P < .001)"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2774102

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Lots of people.

Tow truck driver - entire family got it, they all died including him.

Many teachers - all died.

Daughter's friend - died.

Two co-workers - both dead.

Vet office - all dead.

SDM near me - all dead.

All suffered horribly as well.
    You build your house on an Indian burial ground?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    This is actually may be the norm, despite what the media says.

"In this meta-analysis of 54 studies with 77 758 participants, the estimated overall household secondary attack rate was 16.6%"

What's even more surprising, is that in households where the person was asymptomatic, the secondary infection rate was 0.7%. If someone iis living in the same household as someone with an asymptomatic infection and only has a 0.7% chance of contracting it, I wonder how much less that rate is when in the general public. This appears to contradict the notion that asymptomatic people are responsible for large amounts of spread.

"Estimated mean household secondary attack rate from symptomatic index cases (18.0%; 95% CI, 14.2%-22.1%) was significantly higher than from asymptomatic or presymptomatic index cases (0.7%; 95% CI, 0%-4.9%; P < .001)"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2774102
    It sorta makes sense. Not everyone passes the virus on to a second person. Statistically most people don't but its the few people that do that cause quick outbreaks.

Alberta's R value is ~1.1 at the moment, so every 1 case leads to 1.1 new cases on average but that includes individuals that spread it rapidly to a large number of others. If you take Rumble Boxing last month, 25 people got infected from that gym. So that means at least 20+ other covid cases successfully got sick and didn't spread it just to keep our R value around 1.1.

Same with Alberta's P1 outbreak at the beginning, 1 worker travelling while sick to 3 sites and then there was 26 confirmed cases of P1 variant related to that. Our restrictions / containment do work, it's just certain individuals fuck it up and spread it to a lot of others.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 04-26-2021 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, if you look at that R-value, then it makes sense that it's common NOT to catch it from someone in your household who is sick. Although counter-intuitive.

I would love to have antibody testing to see who had it previously, although that's probably never going to be a widespread thing. Who would pay for it and who would it benefit aside form our curiosity?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My wife got invited to do antibody testing for a birth and pregnancy study she enrolled in. Will be interesting to see results.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, if you look at that R-value, then it makes sense that it's common NOT to catch it from someone in your household who is sick. Although counter-intuitive.

I would love to have antibody testing to see who had it previously, although that's probably never going to be a widespread thing. Who would pay for it and who would it benefit aside form our curiosity?
    R-values are aggregate/average.

We know that covid is more of a super-spreader event. If person A give it to their family of 4, then they represent an individual R contribution of 3. But if that family locks down and give it to zero people then the R value for their little outbreak is less than 1 (3+0+0+0)/4 = 0.75 R. What R really represents is how often one of these micro-outbreaks pops over to another cohort and superspreads.

Antibody testing: won't work great now that the vaccine is out. They are working on a T-cell test that differentiates between vaccine immunity and natural immunity.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    R-values are aggregate/average.

We know that covid is more of a super-spreader event. If person A give it to their family of 4, then they represent an individual R contribution of 3. But if that family locks down and give it to zero people then the R value for their little outbreak is less than 1 (3+0+0+0)/4 = 0.75 R. What R really represents is how often one of these micro-outbreaks pops over to another cohort and superspreads.

Antibody testing: won't work great now that the vaccine is out. They are working on a T-cell test that differentiates between vaccine immunity and natural immunity.
    Are antibody tests still trash after mRNA?

fact.

My Ride
    ute

I believe the antibody tests are all related to spike - and both the vaccine and natural immunity to spike look the same (since it's the same spike protein code).

My Ride

Yet to be seen.

I'm participating in a study that is testing antibodies before/after the vaccine. Had a chat with one of the the researchers, apparently the antibody test isn't a go/no go thing, it's more of manually counting and looking for numbers above a threshold. I don't think it'll be used en masse in any case.

Guy here at work just tested positive this morning on his rapid antigen test. They are making us do a RAT every 3 days at work now. He still has to do an AHS PCR test to confirm. But apparently the day shift guys said he was worried he wouldn't pass his antigen test because he had symptoms and was still coming to work. Fucking retard.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Do you work in Fort Mac? I’ve heard it’s looking pretty grim there

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast