Quantcast
DJI drones - banned in the usa - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: DJI drones - banned in the usa

My Ride
    4x4

My Ride
    Bicycle

Most jurisdictions got enough rules to almost tough to fly them everywhere anyway.

Sounds like my old Gen1 Mavic will go up in price after market?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

While I don’t generally agree with bans on things I think the lockdown of Chinese communication and surveillance tech is a necessary evil unfortunately.

Honestly it’s pretty tough not to consider china to be an international bad actor these days and if it was any other country we would have locked them out of our economies years ago.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

It really doesn't matter anymore with Starlink. In the off times, when people aren't using data, they can use an ultrahigh quality CCD array and simply take photos of every spot on earth at resolutions previously unheard of by the US military. You can even use multiple satellites from multiple angles to create 3D images of objects on the ground.

I await the Gigapixel cameras and 16K television sets. No country can stop progress, not even the USA. Try to stop it, and get run over (by a self driven electric semi) Detroit, home of combustion engine patents = done like dinner.

The only question to me is 40,000 satellites enough? Arguably no, because you want to have more than one company up there. When China puts up their satellites, there wont be much need for drone footage.

I am the eye in the sky
    Looking at you
    I can read your mind
    I am the maker of rules
    Dealing with fools
    I can cheat you blind
    And I don't need to see any more
    To know that
    I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Apple looks to be investing heavily in figuring out 6G, if they can.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 12-18-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

There used to be a time when leading American industries would proactively embargo materiel that could possibly be used against them, hoping to preserve a technological advantage. Now it appears that they are behind the ball on the "drone" front and are trying to play catch-up where the situation applies.

Someone needs to remind Zenops that prescriptions can be refilled... Such technological ramblings were solved a century ago with good ol-fashioned ingenuity. For example: shadows in B&W photographs were used to determine size and shape of objects in WW1.

The west needs to reaffirm it's cultivation of brilliant thinkers, and not wasting wasting billions of man-hours creating some facebook app.
    Last edited by e31; 12-18-2020 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

The NSA hates competition! So sick and tired of this USA police the world bullshit. Everything is cool, as long as USA does it, anyone else dares, they get banned or sanctioned to oblivion. This is the world we live in unfortunately.

Its worth a side note that California will be instituting a combustion engine ban. Now that Biden is in, its pretty much a lock.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Didn't Bruce Springsteen have a song about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thread title is click-bait, you can still buy and use DJI drones in the USA as you normally would. It's only a ban on US companies exporting technology to DJI. To my knowledge DJI drones don't use any USA-made parts or tech anyway, and even if they did I'm sure there are other (probably better) sources.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Thread title is click-bait, you can still buy and use DJI drones in the USA as you normally would. It's only a ban on US companies exporting technology to DJI. To my knowledge DJI drones don't use any USA-made parts or tech anyway, and even if they did I'm sure there are other (probably better) sources.
    Maybe their new flir apparently uses some US sourced components - and there's questions about parts availability.

Of course DJI can always say duck you USA and lock all the drones down too. Rather than maintaining a daily changing restrictions on their app...

If you're rpas advanced and can't get oem parts and the manual (or your insurance) requires that you only use those... You've got a rather expensive paperweight.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Without exemptions, they can't use Sony image sensors for ex. So they won't have access to top tier parts.

Ambarella, the brain of most DJI drones is a company based in Cali.

So once current stock clears, it may tough to build next gen stock without US IP in their parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Without exemptions, they can't use Sony image sensors for ex. So they won't have access to top tier parts.

Ambarella, the brain of most DJI drones is a company based in Cali.

So once current stock clears, it may tough to build next gen stock without US IP in their parts.
    None of that changes the fact that the thread title is plainly false. You can buy a DJI drone anywhere in the USA right now just like you always could.

Have DJI, Sony, or Ambarella said they can no longer use those parts? I haven't seen any press releases. Sony Semiconductor is headquartered in Japan and all it's fab lines are in Japan. DJI uses Sony's lower-tier sensors anyway. VPU's are notoriously easy to source from a variety of places, and DJI has done exactly that in the past for some of their most popular drones. A giant multi-billion dollar company like DJI will have no problems sourcing parts elsewhere if they run into any issues.

Everything I've seen so far suggests this is being overblown and isn't even likely to last as it's not uncommon for companies to be removed from that 'list'.

Pssh. The ability to keep any secret as time goes on nears impossibility. With a 70 Qubit computer, it can brute force break a 2048 binary bit code in a theoretical second.

Which technically means that as long as the information was copied and stored, any singular Billion dollar country to country bank transaction or military secret sent over the internet could be decoded (basically everything before about mid 1980's) - in one second.

The USA has the most secrets, obviously they are not going to tell Israel or India how to make a rocket that will be able to make a moon landing some fifty years later. The current stance of the USA is to make sure that other nations never catch up. Which is sad in its own right. USA is not about progressing mankind, its about making life better for the few elites, in many ways - like the old British monarchy, or theoretical Lizard hierarchy (Like Kanye and a Billion dollars for average rap)

Most of the USA secrets (like how to make a combustion car) are now already obsolete and increasingly less than worthless. Lets just reset the whole thing.

Apple's contribution to India to a qualified engineer is to cut his pay (no women allowed, just like NASA) from $290 a month to $250.

NASA is so "secretive" that even the most advanced, highest quality, not budget built in USA can't land without issues. Now thats progress!

Last edited by ZenOps; 12-21-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.