Quantcast
No-Fault Car insurance coming to AB? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No-Fault Car insurance coming to AB?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Default No-Fault Car insurance coming to AB?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-g...ance-1.5165870

No-fault insurance is when both insurance companies pay damages in collisions where multiple drivers are involved, regardless of who caused the crash. Alberta currently operates on an at-fault system in which the insurance company for the driver deemed at-fault pays damages.
    Month old news. Not sure if it's been posted before. Wonder what's everyone's take on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-g...ance-1.5165870

Month old news. Not sure if it's been posted before. Wonder what's everyone's take on this.
    i imagine there won't be any benefit to the average person, but it is what it is.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't know if I care. Should I care?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

We already had the megathread in the spring didn't we?

Bill says it's bad.

I'm going with bill.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My attention span is too short to know.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

This is a big thing for PI lawyers (myself included). Essentially it will take out the role of personal injury lawyers quite dramatically as all damages/compensations are going to be pre-determined. The bigger PI firms that have solely relied on this area of law for making money (and made quite a lot of $) are definitely shitting it but not much can be done as most other provinces have already implemented this.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This is a big thing for PI lawyers (myself included). Essentially it will take out the role of personal injury lawyers quite dramatically as all damages/compensations are going to be pre-determined. The bigger PI firms that have solely relied on this area of law for making money (and made quite a lot of $) are definitely shitting it but not much can be done as most other provinces have already implemented this.
    I'm pretty sure those are the guys that fucked it all for everyone, no?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm pretty sure those are the guys that fucked it all for everyone, no?
    I mean yes and no. Plaintiff lawyers did sue the shit out of insurance companies over the years and made a killing. I have family members doing exclusively this area for 30 years and making 7 figures. First the cap was brought in 2004 that quite dramatically impacted plaintiff lawyers initially but then loop holes were discovered and everything was fine and back to business as usual. Now with this, there's likely nothing that will be able to be done. Basically in the new system an individual will receive compensation whether they caused the accident or were the innocent victim as the result of someone else’s negligence. A no-fault system effectively will take away an individual’s right to sue. Also, the system itself will decide what a party owes and what a party receives. (summarizing from an online link).

But when lawyers would get clients with certain injuries it is their obligation to pursue the case to the fullest extent and get the best possible compensation - so whether you call that lawyers doing their job well or fucking it up for everyone is a matter of perspective. I think this shit was gonna happen no matter what as insurance company lobbies are massive with deep pockets as you can imagine, so they basically get whatever the hell the want.

The no-fault system is not good for people in general either as you will no longer have a lawyer looking out for your best interests (and of course their own in terms of compensation) and a for-profit insurance company isn't going to be compensating anyone as per what their injuries actually deserve as they will obviously try to save as much $ as possible (which they do now as well but at least the lawyers are there to protect people). Insurance companies will also determine the course of treatment etc. It's a pretty fucked up system if you ask me and I am not just saying that from the perspective of my PI practice (which it also is unfortunately).
    Last edited by shakalaka; 12-09-2020 at 07:04 PM.

My Ride
    ute

So the lawyers didn't fuck it up.. But they did figure out a way to fuck it all up.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I mean, if your goal is for lawyers to make less money, I think the no-fault helps with that.

I'm not so sure about other outcomes.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Lane splitting here I come!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So is no fault car insurance similar to the no fault you have with your first 1 or 2 accidents and then after that you are completely fucked in terms of rates. Seems to me it just puts a limit on how much people get for injury coverage. They also should stop those fuckers that have an accident and then 12 months later when its determined they didn't cause the accident then they sue the other party because of their injury. This happened to me. Had a collision with a lady at 5kph she got out was completely fine even told me she was etc. We both blamed each other, 12 months later insurance determined it was my fault, day after the lady put an injury claim in.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’d personally rather my insurance premiums not go towards a lottery jackpot for someone who doesn’t deserve shit.

So sounds good to me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

I’d personally rather my insurance premiums not go towards a lottery jackpot for someone who doesn’t deserve shit.

So sounds good to me.
    The lawyers are just welcome collateral damage. (Sorry Shak!)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The lawyers are just welcome collateral damage. (Sorry Shak!)
    I’m sure they will find a way
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Well see this is the problem that lot of people are not seeing. They are unreasonably blinded by thinking lawyers will make less money so it's good. But as an individual it's impacting your own rights if you were to get into a collision that wasn't your fault and ended up causing you significant injuries. Now on one side you had a lawyer who's goal was to legally get you as much compensation as they possibly can (the more they make, the more you make and vice versa) vs now the insurance company itself will not only determine how much compensation you deserve (if any) but also dictate the mode of treatment for the injuries must take. They are taking your free choice out to go to the doctor of your choice, choose treatment of your choice as you currently have. And this is just the start of it.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me either way. Sure if this didn't come into play, I feel that I would have done really well in PI law based on how my PI practice sort of unexpectedly erupted this year and if I had a chance of keep on going I imagine it would have only gotten better. But by the same token, to date in my practice I have made negligible amount of money from PI files as I never used to do too much. So while I can't regret not being able to make a living that I wasn't actually making, I do partly regret having that opportunity being taken away from me All that being said and more than that it's the impact on day to day lives of citizens and the amount of control insurance companies will be able to exert on people's lives is what bothers me the most. People keep saying it's good that lawyers are screwed but ultimately they are the ones getting screwed and only ones coming out even richer and stronger out of this are the insurance companies. So basically they are taking out the lawyers that acted as defenders of people's rights and the people are actually loving it and supporting it cause of their belief that they dislike the lawyers. This is the game insurance companies have played and very well at that. Reminds me of the saying, “The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.”.

My Ride
    Silverado

I already pay too much for insurance. If preventing the tmj lottery helps me avoid increases for a few years Im all for it. But maybe thats a payout cap. Cant say im a fan of my rates going up if someone crashes into me

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I already pay too much for insurance. If preventing the tmj lottery helps me avoid increases for a few years Im all for it. But maybe thats a payout cap. Cant say im a fan of my rates going up if someone crashes into me
    I don't think that will happen. Since every accident will be each parties fault, each insurance companies will be paying out much more frequently than what happens now I feel. Sure no compensation for pain and suffering or loss of employment or loss of life etc. so they save that money, but since they will now be paying out on each collision (whether their insured's fault or not), I imagine the costs will continue to go up anyway.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Tesla insurance is the way. Everyone pays based on their own likelihood of a claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I don't think that will happen. Since every accident will be each parties fault, each insurance companies will be paying out much more frequently than what happens now I feel. Sure no compensation for pain and suffering or loss of employment or loss of life etc. so they save that money, but since they will now be paying out on each collision (whether their insured's fault or not), I imagine the costs will continue to go up anyway.
    People are now being asked to assume the risk of injury by getting into a car.

I blame the loopholes more than the lawyers. This is just a different way to close the loopholes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast