Quantcast
Anyone actually happy about all these restrictions over holidays? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone actually happy about all these restrictions over holidays?

Default Anyone actually happy about all these restrictions over holidays?

I just want to say first off, I feel really sad for people who really enjoy this time of year visiting family and friends...but can't due to the restrictions put in place in Alberta.

That being said...is anyone like me, really happy NOT to have to endure yet another family gathering (esp. the ones with the in-laws) this year??

If so, what are your reasons?

We don't have kids, so that takes a lot of "gatherings" out of the picture anyways. And I didn't grow up in a tight knit family whatsoever. My parents weren't the affectionate type at all. On top of that, I'm an introvert.

In my 20s, holidays meant working for that stat pay and then going out to the bar with friends after work.

After 30, holidays meant dreadful family gatherings with my wife's side. I am so happy this year not to have to do that.

My Ride
    NC1

I have no life. All I do is work. I am single. I am okay.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I guess depends on your value and personality. I generally do not get over excited about family gatherings, but the fact is, once it's taken away. I kind of miss them. It's been almost a year since I have seen some of my more distant family. It's just nice to be able to sit down and spend a few hours together.

Big family guy.

This is bullshit and I’m going to rage drink.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Anything that keeps my inlaws away is a big win in my books.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Eh.... it's a mixed bag for me. Here's how I feel:

Growing up, my immediate family was never big on celebrating things: anniversaries, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, etc... not a big deal. We'll do dinners for birthdays but that's about it. With my extended family we'll do dinners on Thanksgiving and Christmas so I'll miss that, but not a huge deal if that's not happening. I AM missing the social aspect of it though: just catching up with people or spending a nice evening hanging out with friends/family. So I guess I'm not missing the celebration hubbub, but I am missing being around people I care about. Yeah, we've set aside 60-90 minutes during the week to do Zoom meetings, but it's not the same.

Now about the restriction part, I'm actually okay with it because I know it will help in the long run. What I am unhappy with is there's a portion of the population that's completely disregarding this and it's dragging this out longer than it needs to be.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’m happy it’s saving me money however I miss my parents bad and my close friends as well. We play video games when we can at least.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

It turned working from home into pure hell, vs the joy it was when the kids could see grandma a few days a week.

My wife is also worried sick about her mom isolated alone, so double the stress.

As a single dude I could have stocked up on groceries and worked and played video games for a long time and only slightly missed social interactions. But as a family guy, its the worst

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I'm not big on spending time with families, so it doesn't bother me. the wife is sad that all parents can't see our kids for the holidays. i don't feel this effects our kids (3,5,8) missing family. grand parents are all low 60's and have a small risk, but they are all doing their part.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

working from home with kids off school and no daycamps or family supports for childcare is a total nightmare. The family gatherings, I'm ambivalent about. I usually enjoy them, but there are too danged many.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I am generally pretty annoyed about it, I don’t think it’s had a dramatic effect on my life personally, but I would quite like to be able to visit close family.

I could also use a few dozen beer nights with the boys. And wings.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've been telling my wife for over years that I wanted a "just us" Christmas. Covid has finally made it happen, so I'm not sad about it.

Unfortunately my plan for a "just us" Christmas didn't involve staying in our own house, but going off to a cabin in the mountains. So a little disappointed that's not happening.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i'm happy with it, Holidays are always so busy and stressful, gives me an excuse to tell the inlaws we're not coming over Nice quiet time at home.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Ford

Covid so far was awesome all year. I have no family, Only child, and haven't spoken to cousins in 20 years. I dispised in law family gtg. I don't do anything anyway so nothing changed for me. Staying home with family is all I need. I won't be doing family gtg when this is over either. Facetime is fine. not like the wife doesn't know everything going on in her family anyway with a million texts a week.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    changes every year

My family is fucked, im super happy to be away from them this year. Living with the inlaws still anyways, so we're with them, im cool with that.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I was happy not to have to drive to Calgary for the first time in almost 20 years on Christmas day. But I do miss family (most of them anyway).

We happened to have a good family covid scare just before Christmas that shows how fast and unknowingly it can spread. On the 22nd my brother got a call that the day home his daughter goes to had a positive case so they would be closing. Picked up kid and booked test for the 23rd for him, his wife, and daughter. 24th found out all 3 were positive. No known symptoms on the 2 year old, slight stuffy nose for his wife started on the 24th and my brother was tired and had a tickle in his throat. Without getting the call it would have been really easy for their family to pass this on as the 24th is normally when we get together. The restrictions suck, but they help limit spread and are worth it. At least I can still go to work and see my co-workers...

Also of interest, both my brother and his wife lost taste and smell on Christmas day. They said it sucks. And my brother tried some really spicy food and said it still burns. He said he did it for science.