Quantcast
Paying back CERB - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Paying back CERB

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you are calling out anyone who previously made over $100k, has lost their job and collected CERB as they are entitled to, as you feel that's kind of douchey and gross if their significant other is still employed.

Got it Comrade.
    Keep cherry picking pieces of what I say and not observing everything in context... You missed your calling man. You would have made a hell of a journalist!

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Keep cherry picking pieces of what I say and not observing everything in context... You missed your calling man. You would have made a hell of a journalist!
    I know of DINK couples that both make well north or 100k each and only one of them got laid off and they still collected CERB. That actually irks me more than someone who had almost no income collecting CERB. If you have 6 figures still coming through your household bank account and still feel entitled to that money it is kind of gross.
    Here's your previous post. No cherry picking.
    I like neat cars.

Here's your previous post. No cherry picking.
    Actually that is a prime cherry pick. Keep reading and more clarification comes forth because you know.. In a few typed words on a forum it is super easy to get it all down at once right? Sometimes it takes a conversation to gets things across but you just carry on McCarthy because you've got me pegged! lol

Let me qualify by saying I think I don’t think it should have gone out at all for the vast majority of people, but it definitely should never have been about keeping up a lifestyle as much as it was to avoid collapsing an existence.

My point is it should never have gone out if it was not needed, high or low income.

*edit* - Or it should have gone out to everyone automatically if you want to be fair about it, whether it was needed or not. Having this threshold of qualification is absurd, especially when people start making an argument that those who have a higher income deserve it more. Personally I think nobody "deserves" it and in fact most just figured out a way to qualify for it.
    Last edited by tirebob; 12-29-2020 at 05:28 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

How I’m interpreting what you have posted is that, a higher income earner, $100k+ should not receive or accept CERB even if they are legally entitled to it, if their significant other is still employed.

If that’s not your stance, I’ll back off but that’s how I’m reading your posts, and I disagree with it.
    I like neat cars.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    Didn't expect it or had a choice. I was put on it when I applied for EI. I'm going to get hit at tax time when I need to pay income tax on that money. I don't expect a free pass/free check. I followed the rules and you're saying that because the government did it this way, I should pay back that money? Even if doing so will put me in a tight financial situation? Or should I just sell my house, in a down market and take a bigger loss? Or sell my assets so that I have nothing left? Pretty simple hey?
    Read what I said again. If you recieved something you shouldn't have you should have to pay it back. Its quite simple. Regardless why you got it even if you didn't ask you should be accountable for things. If a bank gives you a million dollars guess what? You'll be paying it back.

The govt handed my wife $6000 more then she should have on maternity leave. Guess what? We have to pay it back. I can use all the same excuses as you but in the end it doesn't matter. We didn't deserve the money. Its going to be paid back.

Maybe we should argue with the govt and tell them it's their fault therefore we are keeping their money. I wonder how that will go.

How I’m interpreting what you have posted is that, a higher income earner, $100k+ should not receive or accept CERB even if they are legally entitled to it, if their significant other is still employed.

If that’s not your stance, I’ll back off but that’s how I’m reading your posts, and I disagree with it.
    You may interpret any way you wish sir... I think you have all the info needed to work anything I say to suit your purposes.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I can see where Bob is coming from. I have a close friend who comes from money, family paid for half his mortgage, has a trust fund, got an Econ degree and fucked off to become a bus driver just to work 3 hours a day.

He collects EI every year when it's summer and collected CERB when the schools went virtual.

Something doesn't feel right about that, but it could probably just as well be pure jealousy and nothing else.

On the other hand, you'd feel stupid if you weren't exploiting every legal option available.

Bob, I think you are just a gentleman's gentleman and there's no debate to be had. People will do what they want to do.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So for the record CERB was automatically sent out to most people that applied to EI... and is actually a lesser amount than max EI

The person who has paid the maximum annual contributions for over 20yrs without a single gap in employment the whole time, who was laid off due to no fault of their own, or even because of the viability of their employer’s business model.... aka “the $100k-er” should 100% receive their unemployment benefits

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I can see where Bob is coming from. I have a close friend who comes from money, family paid for half his mortgage, has a trust fund, got an Econ degree and fucked off to become a bus driver just to work 3 hours a day.

He collects EI every year when it's summer and collected CERB when the schools went virtual.

Something doesn't feel right about that, but it could probably just as well be pure jealousy and nothing else.

On the other hand, you'd feel stupid if you weren't exploiting every legal option available.

Bob, I think you are just a gentleman's gentleman and there's no debate to be had. People will do what they want to do.
    Are you really jealous though? To me doesn't sound like very fulfilling life but what do I know. I'm only used to the grind.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

Is your friend skilled at eating rice while driving?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So for the record CERB was automatically sent out to most people that applied to EI... and is actually a lesser amount than max EI

The person who has paid the maximum annual contributions for over 20yrs without a single gap in employment the whole time, who was laid off due to no fault of their own, or even because of the viability of their employer’s business model.... aka “the $100k-er” should 100% receive their unemployment benefits
    I 100% agree.

Regarding EI, the maximum that anyone is entitled to is $573/week which is based on 55% of $54,200, the maximum yearly insurable amount.

But hey, even if that $100k/year couple was paying ~$60,000/year in taxes, too bad, you lose your job, you don't deserve CERB/EI even if the maximum you will receive per year is less then $30k.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I 100% agree.

Regarding EI, the maximum that anyone is entitled to is $573/week which is based on 55% of $54,200, the maximum yearly insurable amount.
    Yup, so when they got forced to cerb that was a $483/month savings right there, sticking it to the rich!

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I 100% agree.

But hey, even if that $100k/year couple was paying ~$60,000/year in taxes, too bad, you lose your job, you don't deserve CERB/EI even if the maximum you will receive per year is less then $30k.
    I have flip, flopped, and flipped right into your position.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think this thread might be circling the drain on the inevitable realization that government welfare isn’t good for anyone

If only we could stop the government from robbing us every 2 weeks in the first place we really might get somewhere.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can't possibly believe that anyone is learning anything here. I know I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think this thread might be circling the drain on the inevitable realization that government welfare isn’t good for anyone

If only we could stop the government from robbing us every 2 weeks in the first place we really might get somewhere.
    Everyone can dream, right?

Less taxes mean less roads, so I support the anti-tax plan.

My Ride
    Silverado

Defund governments

My Ride
    NC1

Is 100k gross a lot of money?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Is 100k gross a lot of money?
    Haven’t you read the thread? $5k gross is the a lot of money threshold.

North of that, no one really deserves it and should give it to the government like a good comrade.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast