Quantcast
School me on snowblowers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: School me on snowblowers

My Ride
    V8s

Default School me on snowblowers

I should have bought one years ago, but just haven't bothered. This recent huge snowfall was the catalyst I needed.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want size-wise (likely 28" min, maaaybe 24" if it's a smoking deal, bigger is better), and I want a 2-stage. Not considering electric.

For those that have gas snow blowers, how did you choose the brand you went with? What features do you appreciate/wish you had? Is it worth it to buy new, or just wait for a decent used deal? What time of year is best to buy them? I would assume spring/summer is when you'd find sales on them, but I haven't tracked this at all yet.

TIA

My Ride
    *The First*

Only thing I know is that you should put fuel stabilizer directly into your Jerry can the instant you fill it. That way all of your seasonal equipment will always have stabilizer and you won't have to remember.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have a 24, wish I went a bit bigger, it doesn’t quite have the width to clear a sidewalk in 2 passes.

I have an Ariens Classic 24 I think, gas 2 stage with a decent sized engine. Electric start is a must have feature, end of the day they end up sitting a lot more than you would like and the electric start really helps getting going after a long sit.

I went with ariens on a recommendation, got it on a decent sale at Home Depot. They stock parts for it so that’s a consideration in my books. Couple pieces were a real pain to install initially (pins that weren’t sized properly and I ended up removing some metal in a couple cases.

If you are ballin out of control the ones on tracks are pretty cool, the wheels don’t work perfectly and slip all the time.

One thing to consider is they really work best if you have a good uncracked surface to scrape, mine catches on every crack which is annoying, if you are plowing gravel I think you jut raise the blade above the shoes so that’s a different problem.

I really like mine. Absolute life saver earlier this week. I don’t pay people to shove for me and no way I’m getting up at 5 am to shovel before work so this is the way to go. I live beside a school so if I don’t shovel before 7AM it all gets packed into ice by the time I can get to it after work so that isn’t an option.

Happy to let you Demo mine if you want just send me a PM.
    Last edited by killramos; 12-26-2020 at 02:37 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Ariens and Toro are go-to brands IMO.

I went with a Toro 721E single stage since I have a rear garage. Only time I'd go with a two-stage is if you have a front garage and have to deal with the windrows that the plow leaves behind. Single stage is more than enough to deal with the type of snow that we get here.

Should also suggest looking at what Equipment Express has available, they're generally cheaper than HD. If you're lucky you'll be able to get a HD rep to PM with Equipment Express for additional savings.
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 12-26-2020 at 03:29 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

get an old used gravely, and broom and snowblower attachments. Broom for 96% of the year is all you need, snowblower for these big heavy dumps

totally not baller, totally oldschool. But there's a reason all the landscape crews have them.

Name:  16TractorWithSnowblower.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  $_2.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  6.6 KB
    Last edited by AndyL; 12-26-2020 at 03:36 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Broom would be sweet.

On the 1 stage versus 2 stage debate... I wish mine would throw the heavy stuff further. Plowing windrows today it threw maybe half a foot beside my thrower and mines a 2 stage. 1 stage wouldn’t have done sfa.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Broom would be sweet.
    broom really gets you to bare concrete, even gets the hard packed... There's a reason most of the landscapers use them pretty exclusively, and they're what 40" wide, most sidewalks are a single pass.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

We've had a Honda HS622 for many years since living in Newfoundland. They are smaller, but when you are talking about throwing heavy wet snow far distances it cant be beat. Two passes clears a sidewalk good enough for me. Two speeds, first is great for full height passes with second perfect for lighter snow or less height etc.

First pull every year, I think the fuel in it is probably 3 years old now... Theres bigger units out there, but id much rather have a smaller rig that is easily maneuverable and not as cumbersome. Just really hold the engagement down.... thing drives itself, never really need to put any force on it. Tracks are well worth it.

That being said for Calgary winters you could prob get away with a single stage for 99% of the days. But it will really throw the snow. I was going through our alley and can easily throw snow clear over people's fences well into the yards.
    Last edited by blubs; 12-26-2020 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    broom really gets you to bare concrete, even gets the hard packed... There's a reason most of the landscapers use them pretty exclusively, and they're what 40" wide, most sidewalks are a single pass.
    Yes the scrapers really don’t do that great a job. Job is done but certainly not picture perfect.

fact.

I have a 22” single stage. Had it for about 6 years now and in my opinion the single stage is the way to go. I see my neighbors spending almost double the time using their 2 stage vs me using my single. They often have to clean up the leave behinds, it’s harder to maneuver, and a pain to bring in and out of its spot.

Sure there are times when the snow is heavy and it won’t throw the snow but over the years I’ve learned my limits on the machine. 6inch and I’m good. So I go out and blow when it gets that deep regardless of how much more is on the way. I spend 20 min tops doing my sidewalks and triple wide driveway. Then I can lift it by myself and drive it over to my buddies house and do half of his before he even unpacks his 2 stage. It’s so cumbersome, he hand shovels unless it’s a huge dump. Totally defeating the purpose.

Some recommendations I have are go minimum 20”. Get one where you can control the chute from the operating position. Electric start is nice but a pain unless it’s got a battery. Then you need it on a tender. Order a blade and scraper spare. They just stop scraping and it sucks to wait a few weeks for replacements.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

While I’m sure a single stage snow blower is fine, I’m not sure you can really honestly say they are better than a 2 stage in any way aside from maybe them being a bit lighter? A 2 stage snow blower functions in exactly the same way as a 1 stage except it has an added impeller to help throw snow farther.

A standard sidewalk is 48 inches wide, and you aren’t going to be 100% efficient so the math on how wide you should go is pretty simple, dividends go up if you have a driveway as extra width likely means a few fewer passes to clear.

fact.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Going to keep an eye on this thread. I lack the space right now to store one easily, but the wife brought it up before I did, and I'm the one doing all the shovelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I also have an Ariens and liked that HD stocks things like shear pins, but chose the Deluxe 28 for the larger impeller and bigger 16” tires. I haven’t had any issues with traction and it handled the recent drifts of heavy wet snow right up to the top of the intake. It also did well on the windrows at the end of the driveway and I don’t find it hard to maneuver with the auto-turn setup. No complaints, although hand warmers would have been a nice add-on. I find the 28” is a nice compromise between clearing width and maneuverability and it doesn’t take up too much space.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
    I also have an Ariens and liked that HD stocks things like shear pins, but chose the Deluxe 28 for the larger impeller and bigger 16” tires. I haven’t had any issues with traction and it handled the recent drifts of heavy wet snow right up to the top of the intake. It also did well on the windrows at the end of the driveway and I don’t find it hard to maneuver with the auto-turn setup. No complaints, although hand warmers would have been a nice add-on. I find the 28” is a nice compromise between clearing width and maneuverability and it doesn’t take up too much space.
    I always regret not bumping up to the next model. But I’m agree the deluxe 28 is a sweet unit.

fact.

Getting a snowblower makes easy work clearing your driveway and your neighbours too!
    Protip: I haven't paid to fuel it since it was first bought.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    While I’m sure a single stage snow blower is fine, I’m not sure you can really honestly say they are better than a 2 stage in any way aside from maybe them being a bit lighter? A 2 stage snow blower functions in exactly the same way as a 1 stage except it has an added impeller to help throw snow farther.

A standard sidewalk is 48 inches wide, and you aren’t going to be 100% efficient so the math on how wide you should go is pretty simple, dividends go up if you have a driveway as extra width likely means a few fewer passes to clear.
    I have owned both and I can honestly say that. The metal blades of a 2 stage don’t touch the ground. Good luck with tire tracks or foot prints before you manage to get out. The single stage touches the pavement.

My unit is also literally half the weight of my 2 stage. Oh and takes half the fuel. Oh and fits in the heated garage vs the shed which makes starting way easier. Oh and it was a 3rd if the cost. I mean you’re right, you may not understand it but I can justify it and would recommend it for our winters.
    Last edited by spike98; 12-27-2020 at 01:02 AM.

My Ride
    *The First*

My further "advice" from the perspective of not owning one, is if you don't have a corner lot surrounded by sidewalks, you don't need one.
    Once every five years we get some crippling storm where it would be handy? I have three neighbours with them who are nothing short of horny to "save me" and polish my driveway with their silly equipment.
    I buy them scotch which gives me a license to drink their liquor for free. Eternally.

ThinkinMan.gif

My Ride
    V8s

For a little more context: right now I live in a non-corner lot, but have a massive driveway (garage is set halfway back from the front of the house, can park 4 cars end to end, and two wide near the garage). I'm not too lazy to shovel a small amount, but anything over 3" gets pretty tedious. We're also very likely to move to an acreage in the next year or two, which means the driveway won't be getting any smaller.

The Gravely would be ideal in theory, as it would work where I live now and in the next house... but I have no interest in owning (well, maintaining) a piece of used commercial equipment and currently it would be a pain in the dick to store. Also I can't justify the cost for a new one; if I'm spending upwards of 5k, it will be on a lawn tractor that I can cut grass with in the summer and put a blade on in the winter. The reason I landed on getting a ~28" snowblower now is because it is right-sized for my current house, and would be used in the future house until I decide what I want to do long term (re: lawn tractor). I already have a small riding mower, so depending on the house we get the small snowblower and mower combo might work... if it doesn't they will both be sold and I'll get the bigger machine that can do both.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I used an Ariens Compact yesterday to clear an ice rink path. It worked really well through drifts over its intake height. Had to go pretty slow but the motor never strained too badly. This was in deep enough snow that our quad with a snow blade got stuck. Which @cjblair , will be a minimum requirement on an acreage. What area are you looking at in the future?

My Ride
    V8s

Yeah quad with a snow blade works great, my dad has one. Shopping in springbank right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast