Quantcast
The Use Case Rule - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Use Case Rule

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I don't have the room or finances to really own a 3rd "fun" vehicle. Baygirl and I would both love a high HP fun "driving" car to bomb around in, but, it is nowhere near our realm of possibility right now. We have 2 vehicles, a Ford Focus and an F-150. Baygirl uses the Focus to zip around town in, and I use the F150 to haul the family on road trips, hauling building materials and such. We have all the bases covered for our use cases pretty well, so we haven't really missed not having a fun vehicle. But her idea of a fun vehicle and my idea are pretty far apart. I would love a ZR1, Viper, or my personal fave, an AMC Gremlin, and Baygirl hates all of them and has stated that if I got one, it would be grounds for divorce. She wants a foxbody mustang.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by richardchan2002 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way I see it, use case is a consideration for those (pretty much the overwhelming majority) who don’t have the space and money to collect cars. If you’re not a collector and want to be efficient with money it always makes sense to minimize the number of vehicles while maximizing utilization and enjoyment.

The article feels like a flex. If you had enough money to buy a P1, F50, F40, etc does use case really matter? Storage and depreciation seems like it should be a secondary consideration if you had that kind of money, no?
    Werd, at that level of wealth... does use case really matter? You buy them because you can, not because of their functions...

My Ride
    ute

The way I see it, use case is a consideration for those (pretty much the overwhelming majority) who don’t have the space and money to collect cars. If you’re not a collector and want to be efficient with money it always makes sense to minimize the number of vehicles while maximizing utilization and enjoyment.

The article feels like a flex. If you had enough money to buy a P1, F50, F40, etc does use case really matter? Storage and depreciation seems like it should be a secondary consideration if you had that kind of money, no?
    Flexing only counts if you're not anonymous.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

How much money is “enough money”?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    How much money is “enough money”?
    I dont understand the premise of the question.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Well the question is if you have enough money does it matter.

I’m curious at what point you have enough money to buy those cars. Or enough money to not matter
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by SSO View Post
    That sounds like a tough brief to fill. GT that will eventually be good on a track. A Ferrari F12 might work but will not be cheap to run. I'd also give a 997.2 GT3 a look.

Thanks but a K'egg is a car you you want to own once in your life and I've already ticked that box.
    That color scheme is the identical one to what the Pfaff guys had McLaren build for a Canadian limited edition 570S. Red carbon on white. Probably just a coincidence.

As for my one-car problem - I think I've give up track capabilities in order to maximize the sports-car/GT car mission. The F12 is the current contender, with an FF/Lusso also in consideration to fit two of my kids. Although I think the 720S would also be a logical choice - with the caveat I've mentioned elsewhere regarding McLaren's more shaky position in the marketplace (well deserved or not).

Of course, my dream car is an F40, but that's a whole other conversation and one the other side of a liquidity event.

My Ride
    ute

Well the question is if you have enough money does it matter.

I’m curious at what point you have enough money to buy those cars. Or enough money to not matter
    Well, if you are on FChat or McLaren life, it's hard to tell where people fit. But I would say that in general the people who really, truly don't care are still a relatively small minority even amongst those customer bases. I'm sure @SSO would have a better fix on the drop-off in this regard, but it's probably a single-digit percentage of the owners in those places that truly don't care at all about the financial resources involved in their garages.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I like the use case rule and try to follow it, although some cars see a lot more garage time.

89’ VW Vanagon Westfalia - Camping/Weekends
    89’ BMW 325i convertible - 20 degree sunny days
    2013 Audi TTRS - Daily driver
    2016 Dodge Ram - Farm and mtb vehicle
    2018 Audi R8 RWS - Thrills/Summer/Date night

Every car is very different and each one invokes a different driving experience and vibe. I used to think I’d collect multiple exotics and other cars but don’t seem to have much of a desire anymore. Maybe one V12 Lamborghini and call it complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Well, if you are on FChat or McLaren life, it's hard to tell where people fit. But I would say that in general the people who really, truly don't care are still a relatively small minority even amongst those customer bases. I'm sure @SSO would have a better fix on the drop-off in this regard, but it's probably a single-digit percentage of the owners in those places that truly don't care at all about the financial resources involved in their garages.
    I don't know of any owners that truly don't care about what they have invested in there garages, the running costs etc and this includes a few very wealthy individuals. While they may not be buying cars as investments and expect them to appreciate, they do look at their cars as assets and expect them to hold value well. No one wants to be writing off 7 figure sums on anything and some of the stingiest people I know are some of the wealthiest.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    I like the use case rule and try to follow it, although some cars see a lot more garage time.

Every car is very different and each one invokes a different driving experience and vibe. I used to think I’d collect multiple exotics and other cars but don’t seem to have much of a desire anymore. Maybe one V12 Lamborghini and call it complete.
    You have built an impeccable garage.

That color scheme is the identical one to what the Pfaff guys had McLaren build for a Canadian limited edition 570S. Red carbon on white. Probably just a coincidence.

As for my one-car problem - I think I've give up track capabilities in order to maximize the sports-car/GT car mission. The F12 is the current contender, with an FF/Lusso also in consideration to fit two of my kids. Although I think the 720S would also be a logical choice - with the caveat I've mentioned elsewhere regarding McLaren's more shaky position in the marketplace (well deserved or not).

Of course, my dream car is an F40, but that's a whole other conversation and one the other side of a liquidity event.
    F40 ownership is a whole different experience. They are 25+ year old cars now and need lots of TLC to stay in great running condition.

FF/Lusso is a pretty capable car but I wouldn't want to track it.

My Ride

For sure, the wealthy/smart bunch would still care about vehicle depreciation and running cost etc. Not every super/hyper car owner is a rapper/sports star. But is function/use case really matter? Like if you already have one track car, would you care if you get another? I'd think that you'd just buy a particular car just because you want to. That's how I look at it... but all my cars are cheap compares to what's being mentioned.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I've had more than one version of the same vehicle several times. The only thing that ever stops me from getting more is either money to buy them or places to put them. I spend a lot more time thinking about getting more storage space than shrinking my fleet.

If I'm making payments on something it has to earn its keep, but once it's paid for and there's a place for it to sit, fuck it.

Edit: I think there's a lot of people in this thread that didn't read the article.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    For sure, the wealthy/smart bunch would still care about vehicle depreciation and running cost etc. Not every super/hyper car owner is a rapper/sports star. But is function/use case really matter? Like if you already have one track car, would you care if you get another? I'd think that you'd just buy a particular car just because you want to. That's how I look at it... but all my cars are cheap compares to what's being mentioned.
    Ultimately, we all have the same limitation - time.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I read the article
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride

Ultimately, we all have the same limitation - time.

This I do not disagree. I guess if the argument is based on usage then I understand.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post

Every car is very different and each one invokes a different driving experience and vibe.
    You have built an impeccable garage.
    +1 @BavarianBeast has a nice fleet.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

@SSO ... I saw this for sale and thought of you. Your thread was timely! Local car.

https://www.lamborghinicalgary.com/l...segg-agera-rs/

Attachment 96393
    Wow, that car. Wow!
    Another wow is the complete wholesale change in staff at Weissach! I recognize one person as I cruise through their personnel. One!
    I wonder what happened.

This!
    I didn't click his link but definitely a flex and all this guy does is workup articles to link to and send traffic to his website. Nice "flex".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast