Quantcast
Restaurants in the dirty SE mega thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurants in the dirty SE mega thread

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went there once and a bike club was having a charity event? That’s the only time I have seen bikes there.

Big T’s hasn’t been good for a long time.
    There are often several dozen bikes there. But most of the time, it's old white dudes who just ride from pie place to BBQ place to coffee place. I assume they go from Big Sky to Bragg Creek.
    I disagree on Big-T but I think American BBQ is a polarizing cuisine.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'm bad at this.
    Isn't Wellington's in the SE? It's great. Cattle Baron, too.
    Big Sky (answering Killramos) is not (I don't think) even technically in Okotoks. That dude sold Rylie's Cattle Barn (in Okotoks) and built a completely direct competitor to it far enough away to satisfy whatever non-compete clause (not far) and Rylie's was done in minutes. It's good but not life changing. Plus, I don't want to be in a place with H.A. acting like they own the place, ever. My Canadian Tuxedo doesn't include Kevlar.
    I think Big T's would also be called SE and has a couple more life changing menu options than Big Sky. Apparently gluten free options for those who poop-too-much and are convinced it teh glutenz.

Apologies if I'm getting quadrants wrong, (and) for the excessive (bracket) use (.)
    So you just roll in here with some beef options straight out of the 1950s and bad mouth a bbq place cause you think maybe once there may or may not have been an HA there?? Wtf... 0/10 point post

Ps: big Ts is also sub par BBQ, will still frequent from time to time, even though once I think they served a guy who maybe bought or sold drugs

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

From the takeout thread I posted:

Viet - Saigon Royal (douglasdale)

Chinese - kung fu (silverado)...their dumplings are amazing.

Japanese - Itoko Sushi (chaparel)

Mexican - fiesta market (mindapore).

I would rate Riverbends chinese and viet slightly less then these two, but the cost is slightly better.

Does anyone know if any good non-chain pizza that doesn't put all their toppings below the cheese?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So you just roll in here with some beef options straight out of the 1950s and bad mouth a bbq place cause you think maybe once there may or may not have been an HA there?? Wtf... 0/10 point post

Ps: big Ts is also sub par BBQ, will still frequent from time to time, even though once I think they served a guy who maybe bought or sold drugs
    MmmHmm, I agree with the options you've suggested as they are much better.
    Oh wait - you've provided zero options.

I won't waste the time digging up how recently Wellington's won Best Steak in Calgary or what decade they actually opened along with the reams of "ACAB" footage or my own personal viewing at the other place.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    From the takeout thread I posted:

Viet - Saigon Royal (douglasdale)

Chinese - kung fu (silverado)...their dumplings are amazing.

Japanese - Itoko Sushi (chaparel)

Mexican - fiesta market (mindapore).

I would rate Riverbends chinese and viet slightly less then these two, but the cost is slightly better.

Does anyone know if any good non-chain pizza that doesn't put all their toppings below the cheese?
    Wait, we have Mexican down here? Sweet!

I guess we are closer to the Mexican border, so that makes sense.

Edit: is that Korean place next door any good? Han Maru?
    Last edited by Buster; 12-28-2020 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I’ve done Starbelly twice and was terrible both times. But I see it raved about. Maybe I’m bad luck.
    Same, went once close to opening and their menu had like 8 things on it. I was very disappointed as living in Auburn at the time we desperately needed a restaurant there. I went a few months later and it was equally a let down. Terrible place, honestly shocked they have lasted this long.

The restaurant at Blue Devil GC is a gem too. I have always had great food there.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

This thread just confirms why we don’t get good food in the south, ya’ll need to get out more

My Ride
    ute

This thread just confirms why we don’t get good food in the south, ya’ll need to get out more
    People move to the south for budget reasons and to have space for kids - neither of these are fertile ground for restaurants that don't hand out free crayons while you wait.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It'll take time. At least T&T in Deerfoot Meadows is a late, but good start. I will say by 2030 we will have some actual decent ethnic food here.

And I thought people lived in the deep south because they are too poor to get the same living space in the SW but they also don't want to live in the NW.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Family life has ruined my restaurant options. Wife can never give a straight answer and the kids only ever want to eat at BP's. It's a lose/lose

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

MmmHmm, I agree with the options you've suggested as they are much better.
    Oh wait - you've provided zero options.

I won't waste the time digging up how recently Wellington's won Best Steak in Calgary or what decade they actually opened along with the reams of "ACAB" footage or my own personal viewing at the other place.
    Great, so restaurants shouldn’t be judged on the merits of their food, but on those of their patrons... you do realize how many restaurants you should never eat at with that metric, right?

As for Wellington’s.. they were late to the 1950s steak game with an opening of 1979... and best steak??? More like honourable mention... and for the record, yes I would eat at any of those other restaurants first, although none are as trend setting with their menus, guess I’ll have to pass on the super hip and modern “steak Diane”

Name:  A718EE74-F2A4-4CA7-8F0F-75B4CB8D5FCD.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  25.2 KB

My Ride
    NC1

Thanks for shoutout. My place is really simple no frills. I’m focused on value. Will bring back the lunch buffet when things open up. That was super popular.

Saigon maxim and pita grill in Riverbend are both excellent options.
    Oishii was good when it first opened but unfortunately haven’t heard too many good things since.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    *The First*

Great, so restaurants shouldn’t be judged on the merits of their food, but on those of their patrons... you do realize how many restaurants you should never eat at with that metric, right?

As for Wellington’s.. they were late to the 1950s steak game with an opening of 1979... and best steak??? More like honourable mention... and for the record, yes I would eat at any of those other restaurants first, although none are as trend setting with their menus, guess I’ll have to pass on the super hip and modern “steak Diane”

Name:  A718EE74-F2A4-4CA7-8F0F-75B4CB8D5FCD.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  25.2 KB
    Why don't you get a few thousand Q-Tips on a Boxing Day sale so you can get all that sand out of your vagina and then make a restaurant suggestion instead of shitting on your keyboard?

You've never been more right about anything than Wellington's, though. When they placed 1st in 2014, 2nd in 2016 and another 1st in 2017 they were on fleek. All other years they switch their menu to expired dog food.
    RoFL!

My Ride
    ute

I hate to brag, but I've never been to Wellington's.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    People move to the south for budget reasons and to have space for kids - neither of these are fertile ground for restaurants that don't hand out free crayons while you wait.
    My wife has solidly been on the wanting to eat out at Joey tomatoes every day well before kids were a thing.

She likes to caveat it with “they serve sushi and you like sushi” *shudder*
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I hate to brag, but I've never been to Wellington's.
    Lucky... I’ve been dragged there for the early bird special by the elderly too many times

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Why don't you get a few thousand Q-Tips on a Boxing Day sale so you can get all that sand out of your vagina and then make a restaurant suggestion instead of shitting on your keyboard?

You've never been more right about anything than Wellington's, though. When they placed 1st in 2014, 2nd in 2016 and another 1st in 2017 they were on fleek. All other years they switch their menu to expired dog food.
    RoFL!
    There is no suggestion to add that fits the parameters that hasn’t already been posted.

Also as you can clearly see from that screenshot there is no first or second place on avenue’s sub lists. The fact they claimed otherwise should tell you everything you need to know.

Born and raised in the Deep South, honesty not a single thing I could in good faith recommend someone goes out of their way to eat that stands out in any sort of positive way above the competition

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Cattle baron Sundance is great.

Always good service, Keg pricing with better food and ambiance.

They are new on Skip, so they’re offering $10 off new orders. Ordered on Christmas Eve and had two good steak dinners for less than a typical lunch. I love spending like a student.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Regarding Big Sky they have a bike night every Wed. This is organized by One Broken Biker. An organization that helps all fallen motorcyclists https://www.onebrokenbiker.org/?gcli...4aArcyEALw_wcB as I am an old biker that rides to Mexico and beyond I support the org.

Now as far as options, I have lived in the dirty south all my life. Wellingtons is good no matter when you go and is lucky to be still open. The best steak sandwich option is the new Penny Black in Douglasglen. Thursday’s are happy hour and you can get it for $10. $19 all other days and it is still a good deal.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Well... here we go:

Cranston:

The berwick: tolerable pub food, generic at best; eat here as my father refuses to travel past the borders of the SE for dinner

CPU: beats the shit out of western, open during drunken hours, unlimited toppings is fun while hammered

Sushi place in same plaza: appears to be gone from google maps, not rememberable enough to remember the name to see if it’s still open or not

This sums up Cranston

Mac Lake:

Have ate zero food here, only almost died in high school whenever there was a party, worst Deep SE neighborhood ever

Chaparral:

Good house parties in HS

Bad food, even late night pizza, pizza 73 is true garbage

Blue Devil has not once fucked up a large food even: Mother’s Day brunch: garbage. Weddings: food so late that the rest of the reception was already done before we ate

Sundance:

My OG hood... ah yes, sausage rolls from the husky gas station, the forever turning over Chinese food/whatever bullshit in the corner of the plaza that use to have the video store... also now with CPU, fuck this CPU though as it didn’t go in till after high school was done and I moved away from home

Is it sundance, is it deer run? No one knows as it’s in the middle of fish creek, but if you want to eat in an old ass house, and have craaaazy menu item that contain such rare and exclusive ingredients like venison, there is the Ranch, this should only be reserved for the finest of suburban events though

Midnapore:

Great house destroying, 100+ person parties back in the day, the true gem of SE eating...

Olive grove: where the mom’s of the kids who had the house parties would get crazy on a Tuesday night

Little Caesar: mm.. flavoured cardboard

Holy smoke took outside investors for a short lived location here too

Dixon’s pub: getting hammered on cheap wings since we were 16, was truly a wild Monday out till the SW opened a million more pubs; and the south’s only night spot: Hudson’s

Mighty mango: still not sure why this is the go to Chinese order for my parents

Pizza Hut: ya, one of the last standing buildings that still actually houses one. Heard they stop doing the dine in buffet (well before covid) though

Bonavista:

The Lakehouse: lake version of the ranch

Bill’s peking house: actually okay, again, not worth going out of your way for

Avanida market: probably the best food south of Anderson, lots of note worth stalls, most on some delivery app too

Aladdin’s: garlic spread, good

La Picolla (sp?): beside Aladdin’s: mom loves it. Use to enjoy it more like 15yrs back when they still did in house tortellini

Brewsters: it’s like brewsters, but in a dated strip mall!!

The DEERrun/Queens

- the winkin owl: 69 flavours for your wings or dry ribs
    -filio’s (think that’s the name, in the mall that use to have the zellars): probably closed, if not; if you love Wellington’s, this throwback is for you!

-fancy taste of China: dim sum weekend menu, some of the better Chinese food down south, more like you’d find in Chinatown than most burbs options

More CPU

Weakass BBQ

Mac towne:

Brewesters, this time with a roof top patio, for all the needs of your basic GF

The kilt: bonus, it’s not brewsters

Haru: not great, but not kinjo

Also has a chicken on the way and a famosos

130th:

5 guys, that’s it. Everything else is located in every single mega shopping district ever built

Douglasdale/glen/quarry:

Pho pastueur: haven’t been, but told by someone with tastebuds it’s good... for the south
    Swifty’s: dunno what this is, but the GF talks about it, she grew up here

Copperfield/new Brighton:

7/11

Seton/auburn bay:

A steak house with a golden toilet

A shitty gastropub

Over rated breakfast place

A save on foods: just go get groceries and make dinner if you live here

And there is my DEEP SE round up, sorry Sam; I don’t mean offense, but riverbed is sub-10min to DT, it doesn’t even count
    Last edited by ercchry; 12-28-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast