Quantcast
Memory Express Regina - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Memory Express Regina

Default Memory Express Regina

I know there isn't too many of us that have been exiled to SK, but I thought I'd drop some intel on the Regina location of MemEx.

Minh (owner of Memory Express) gave me a call today, he said that although they've owned the location in Regina for 2 years now, with the economy and interest rate increases being what they are, they are delaying until September now. I really didn't realize how much $$$ it costs to open a new store in MemEx's chain, beyond the cost of the location, and hearing that number surprised me. Boooo bank of Canada hikes, how dare you interfere with my PC hardware addiction.

I don't mind the drive to Saskatoon's store, it's only a couple hours, but having a 30 minute drive would be tres bon for me. I get to hit the Calgary store(s) every few months, but it's just not the same...sad face.

Anyhow, MemEx has another expansion planned as well for shortly after Regina gets activated. Amazing to see how MemEx has grown from the single store it was (and the home laptop memory delivery service) back when I first met Minh.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-13-2023 at 12:38 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Seems backwards no? If you're carrying huge debt from acquiring the store and the build out wouldn't you want to open ASAP to get funds flowing in. Unless they ran into a financing crunch and can't afford inventory to stock the store I guess.

I don't understand the math with a medium sized business like MemEx. I know he mentioned the interest rates and that their continued increase has put a pinch on them opening the Regina location for now. I don't know their business model obviously, but I "think" it may be balancing the interest rates on any loans taken to finance the opening of a new store, versus any potential profits in the typical "5 year plan" or whatever.

I'm just happy that the store there is a go, as I'll be in this area off on and between Calgary as we're going to get my father into a long term care facility this fall (we've been looking after him at home for the last few years), and we'll be maintaining his homes and cabin/lake house in SK for him once he's in his LTC facility. Browsing stuff online is OK, but I've always preferred being able to hands-on PC products prior to purchasing them - and I purchase a lot of PC products.