Quantcast
Remodel of our new old house - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Remodel of our new old house

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Preliminary level 3 (left) and level 2 (right) floor plan.

My super-duper planning of hardline data

X = WAP
    D = pair of cat 6STP to the wall
    C = Camera

Garage will be 24 wide (inside dimension) by 25 long.

Name:  2021-01-12_12-54-52.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  63.6 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $ for the Abatement?

If you can’t tell the concept is on my mind haha. You seem to know what you are doing and no your first rodeo.
    It was under $10K. There was some in the stipple, but most was in the drywall.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Nowhere near the boogeyman I was thinking. Thanks.

Mine is a ‘52 bungalow but it’s been renovated 3 times since so hard to say what there is and isn’t.

Goal is to tear down and rebuild in the next 5 years, sooner if oil gets an 8 handle
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

4 wireless access points? Seems like a lot. Unless you mean wet ass pussy, then that's acceptable.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    4 wireless access points? Seems like a lot. Unless you mean wet ass pussy, then that's acceptable.
    Just on that floor

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    People bitch about dead spots all the time. They have 1 WAP in the basement which is their TELUS or Shaw router. The house is 56ft wide and is a split level. Yes, the WAP in each of the kids bedrooms and then below in the garage is overkill, but you will never hear me complain about dead spots. A WAP is $100 with the unifi system I am running.

Roaming is seamless (can walk around the house on a Teams calls without dropping) with the system I have. Can never have too many WAPs. Basement levels will only get 1 each. Lots more homerun cable going there for Xbox, AppleTV, etc.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you are going to run that many AP’s, maybe use the IW ones for the smaller rooms?

Bonus points if you locate them near a kids desk type area and you get an Ethernet switch in the room?

fact.

If you are going to run that many AP’s, maybe use the IW ones for the smaller rooms?

Bonus points if you locate them near a kids desk type area and you get an Ethernet switch in the room?
    I was going to recommend that for the bedrooms as well. Based on tentative locations, bedroom 2 is equal distance from 2 WAPs.

You should also plot hvac onto your hardwire diagram as it'll affect your WAP signal depending how its run in the house. It doesn't look like it'll be an issue on your floorplan but I overlooked that when laying mine out. Luckily I wired more WAP locations than I needed.
    ---

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

This is why I post this shit. Was going to run a Unifi Switch Flex to each of the kids rooms plus the AP, but I guess I can get away with just one of these in each room: https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...ucts/inwall-ap

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea the IW is a great product. Get the Wifi 6 version which is currently in EA.

Not like you need it right now.

I had IW HD’s in my last place and really liked them.

fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Asbestos removal seems to be complete. The roof leaked or is leaking. Found black mold behind the vapour barrier and in the insulation.

Name:  F87C224C-FA53-421F-B439-6473978F182D.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  5B68378B-BF90-47F7-A58E-E598C82A2480.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  7CED1F30-18DC-4244-8EBC-1DA0426F007A.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  F8522D2D-51EB-474E-A1B1-BB5D0D8E1721.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  93.9 KB

Name:  2459DA08-B335-44FD-9E4F-E7620F80AAD4.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  92.4 KB

My Ride
    Canyonero

I've had quotes from $6k to $18k for abatement of about 480sqft of drywall, which, same as @benyl has asbestos in the joint compound.

Technically there's no law against doing it yourself, you just need to follow the disposal guidelines and get an appointment to drop it off at Shepard. Oh and PPE... if you care to

My Ride
    Canyonero

IMO there is such a thing as too many WAPs. I am running a NanoHD on a main floor of a 50s bungalow (1400sqft), and an AC in-wall in the basement, and I had trouble with the RSSI of both APs in the 5GHz band being so close to each other that clients would try to jump between the two and you'd just end up ranging/DHCPing constantly. Pain in the ass.

Maybe the answer was more WAPs, on the other hand... hmmm.

The fix for me was turning the in-wall's power way down which improved quality of experience throughout the house. I would plan for at least an AP per floor. Plus one on the awesomeness of in-walls. I'd just opt for hard line points in areas you suspect you might end up with dead spots, and add in-walls after-the-fact if indeed you find it's a problem.

don't forget a hardline to your garage. I moved my old AC-PRO to the garage to ensure my cameras and IoT stuff had sufficient wifi signal.

My Ride
    Canyonero

A couple of unsolicited thoughts on your floorplan:

- Why the door in the master ensuite leading to the bath/shower? The way the door opens and hits the tub seems like it'll just be "in the way". I'd consider doing away with it but sizing the opening so that a door could be added later if you find you wish for one.

- Cool that each of the kiddo's bedrooms gets a full bath, but is there no half-bath for guests? Maybe that's on another floor not pictured? I'd for sure want a powder room that guests could use where they don't have to tramp through a bedroom.

Congrats on your project! Super exciting to watch, loving the progress updates.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

As mentioned earlier, I’m posting this stuff as I want the feedback. While we have built a few homes, there is always something your forget or can improve.

- That wall / door is glass. We are building a wet room where the all walls and probably ceiling will be tile. I’m not sure if we are doing a central drain yet. The idea hasn’t been fully flushed. We don’t need that level of detail for the development permit yet. Might even make it a steam room.

- the master and the kids bedrooms are 0.5 story higher than the living room / kitchen as it is a split level. The 1/2 bath will be on the half story below the kitchen floor (below the bedrooms).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    IMO there is such a thing as too many WAPs. I am running a NanoHD on a main floor of a 50s bungalow (1400sqft), and an AC in-wall in the basement, and I had trouble with the RSSI of both APs in the 5GHz band being so close to each other that clients would try to jump between the two and you'd just end up ranging/DHCPing constantly. Pain in the ass.

Maybe the answer was more WAPs, on the other hand... hmmm.

The fix for me was turning the in-wall's power way down which improved quality of experience throughout the house. I would plan for at least an AP per floor. Plus one on the awesomeness of in-walls. I'd just opt for hard line points in areas you suspect you might end up with dead spots, and add in-walls after-the-fact if indeed you find it's a problem.

don't forget a hardline to your garage. I moved my old AC-PRO to the garage to ensure my cameras and IoT stuff had sufficient wifi signal.
    You literally followed best practices for overlapping APs. It’s always better to have more, if you adjust power settings accordingly to ensure no huge overlap. That is always better than dead spots.

Our CEO has 9 APs in his house now. Every room/area basically has it’s own dedicated spectrum. Bonus is mobile devices needs lower power, and battery life has increased for everyone. Transitions completely smoothly between rooms. Couldn’t be happier.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Cool project. Nice to see someone going about this the right way instead of the cheapest way.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    G05

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You literally followed best practices for overlapping APs. It’s always better to have more, if you adjust power settings accordingly to ensure no huge overlap. That is always better than dead spots.

Our CEO has 9 APs in his house now. Every room/area basically has it’s own dedicated spectrum. Bonus is mobile devices needs lower power, and battery life has increased for everyone. Transitions completely smoothly between rooms. Couldn’t be happier.
    Alright sorry to highjack this ..... but school me on APs. So you would just have the main router from shaw/telus. Then a ethernet cable to all the APs? Would you still have stuff hardwired or by doing overkill on AP's makes things sufficient (ie. xbox, ps, etc). How hard is it to setup/configure these multiple APs?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    Alright sorry to highjack this ..... but school me on APs. So you would just have the main router from shaw/telus. Then a ethernet cable to all the APs? Would you still have stuff hardwired or by doing overkill on AP's makes things sufficient (ie. xbox, ps, etc). How hard is it to setup/configure these multiple APs?
    When you setup a network like this you don't use the shit modem from your ISP.

Access points can create a mesh network off each other so no cables are really needed unless the APs need POE

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Glad that beyond is having more of these threads, once COVID wraps and bc stop being a bunch of assholes it will be motivation to keep mine going
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    You still hardware every device you possible can, wven the most expensive wifi systems just can’t hold a flame to a solid wired connection, no matter what they try the advertise the peak data rates on the box. That and the more devices you can offload off wifi the better your wifi network is for devices that have to be wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    When you setup a network like this you don't use the shit modem from your ISP.

Access points can create a mesh network off each other so no cables are really needed unless the APs need POE
    Mesh networks are amateur hour, wire every AP or your wifi will perform worse. This is for the same reason you don’t just wifi every device.

fact.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast