Quantcast
Type Of Bicycle - When to Switch - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Type Of Bicycle - When to Switch

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Default Type Of Bicycle - When to Switch

Hey guys, i know there's lots of bike nerds on here and i was hoping to leverage your experience. Wondering when the right time to switch the type of bike i ride makes sense? I have MTB that has its obvious purpose, and a hybrid(specialized Sirrus) that i like to rip around on, tow the kids in the trailer and use on my trainer in the winter..

But i want to get into more fitness oriented cycling, i've done it a bit on my hybrid but if I'm getting more serious wondering if i should switch to a gravel or road type bike? Drop bars, different riding position, gears etc..

Right now I'm kinda eyeing up a Specialized Diverge, I'm a bigger guy, 61cm frame size would be ideal, so used options are fairly limited. and i don't want to spend what i call "dirt bike money" on a bicycle haha.. Would i be wasting money with not much benefit switching from the hybrid? essentially its all pathway riding i will be doing, but if got a gravel/endurance it would be ok to ride on the gravel paths in fishcreek too no?

Thanks for any help.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I'd probably sell the Sirrus and go all in on a gravel bike, as it will do all the same things the Sirrus does (but with better components and climbing gears) but expand what you can confidently do.

Unless you're going to turn into a dedicated road rider, gravel bikes are simply a better 'one bike to rule them all' as they allow you to do all the things road bikes do (maybe a bit slower cause of rolling resistance when on a road), plus the ability to take them onto gravel paths and roads. I sold my roadie and went gravel and it is just a better experience for commuting, pathway riding, plus gravel roads as they are far less vehicle heavy. You could definitely crush the gravel paths in Fish Creek w/ a diverge. I'm surprised hybrids are still a thing since the gravel bike revolution, except that some folks are scared of drop bars (way better for pathway/roads imo), and that they're cheaper to get into.

Simply, if you want more fitness orientated, you need to do longer rides, which will be better on a roadie/gravel.
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 08-10-2023 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Just get a mountain bike. If fitness is your goal, it's all about HR x time. Distance doesn't matter.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just get a mountain bike. If fitness is your goal, it's all about HR x time. Distance doesn't matter.
    I heard that golf is better exercise though. Any truth to that?
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Fitness oriented ... are you talking in the city or going to some nice paved trails outside the city? The reason being is the city is kind of dicks when it comes to speed limits on bike paths and occasionally tag people and issue fines for hundreds of dollars. So a mountain bike is actually just as good for fitness and you won't be going as fast as a road bike. Plus you can explore other things off the trails to keep up the motivation.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    I heard that golf is better exercise though. Any truth to that?
    Golf is great because it's a full 4 hour workout.

My Ride

i have my stumpjumper, haven't ridden it much lately because its just easier to pop out my back and go rip around the paths after the kids go to bed. Not much good dirt paths behind me, compared to over by canyon meadows at least.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You'll get fitter on a roadbike that you can hop on from your house and get an 1.5-3 hours of biking in every day, then spending 1.5 hours round trip in your car to bike an hour at bragg a couple times a week. plus base fitness will make you a stronger MTBer when you do want to head west.

My Ride
    ute

Biking is for recreation. It's a very limited tool for fitness.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

what fitness are you even talking about then, if its 'for recreation'. Wtf else would that fitness be for

Biking is amazing zone 1-2 training, builds big time base for effective aerobic fitness for things like hiking/biking/skiing/soccer/hockey, etc..

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Biking is great fitness. Cardio up, stoke down.

Get a hard tail and hit the pump track if you want fitness in the city

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    what fitness are you even talking about then, if its 'for recreation'. Wtf else would that fitness be for

Biking is amazing zone 1-2 training, builds big time base for effective aerobic fitness for things like hiking/biking/skiing/soccer/hockey, etc..
    If you want to do dedicated Z2 training, it's okay, but not great. Resistance is too variable to target your lactate threshold and hold it there. A stationary bike, a smart trainer, rowing, etc are all better for dedicated Z2 training.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Biking is great fitness. Cardio up, stoke down.

Get a hard tail and hit the pump track if you want fitness in the city
    Pump tracks are great, no matter how many miles I log on the trail/pathways the pump track makes me feel like an out of shape potato

The sirrus probably has plenty of clearance for wider tires, 37c gravel tires are a nice balance and drop vs flat bars will always have +/-… I can tell you for a fact though, unless you’re splurging for a solid gravel bike build spec with hydraulic brakes, flat bars will be way more confident if you take it on any sort of single track that heads downhill. Sirrus probably also has a couple chain rings, so you probably have a similar gear range as a 1x gravel

My Ride
    '14 Taco

mtbing, absolutely difficult.. road/gravel biking.. not so much. Easy to hold a power/HR unless chasing hills.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If anyone is in such good shape that cycling is not a good workout, they are already fitter than 90% of people I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    mtbing, absolutely difficult.. road/gravel biking.. not so much. Easy to hold a power/HR unless chasing hills.
    I'm not discouraging people to do road riding. Quite the opposite. But if you want to maximize fitness, don't bother with road riding. Get your 4x90 minutes per week of highly targeted Z2 time on a trainer/rower. And spend the rest of your workout time doing resistance training.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Offering a different take.
    I've found having the right type of bike may motivate you to ride more. When it feels better (ergonomics, seating position for longer saddle time, etc.) you want to spend more time on it. Any health or fitness benefits are secondary, but just like any form of exercise you will see some benefit if you're consistent. I don't really pay attention to #s/metrics when riding, but I'm not a hardcore athlete by any means - i'm just out there to push hard and enjoy it As a firm believer in n+1, if you can justify the cost I'd definitely recommend pickup up a decent drop-bar to get out there.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm not discouraging people to do road riding. Quite the opposite. But if you want to maximize fitness, don't bother with road riding. Get your 4x90 minutes per week of highly targeted Z2 time on a trainer/rower. And spend the rest of your workout time doing resistance training.
    part of it definitely the enjoyment of being out riding though, i can sit on my trainer and watch netflix sure and have a good workout, but in the summer id rather be out for a rip on a nice evening.

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    Offering a different take.
    I've found having the right type of bike may motivate you to ride more. When it feels better (ergonomics, seating position for longer saddle time, etc.) you want to spend more time on it. Any health or fitness benefits are secondary, but just like any form of exercise you will see some benefit if you're consistent. I don't really pay attention to #s/metrics when riding, but I'm not a hardcore athlete by any means - i'm just out there to push hard and enjoy it As a firm believer in n+1, if you can justify the cost I'd definitely recommend pickup up a decent drop-bar to get out there.
    That's a good take, appreciate it.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    part of it definitely the enjoyment of being out riding though, i can sit on my trainer and watch netflix sure and have a good workout, but in the summer id rather be out for a rip on a nice evening.
    Totally agree. That's where my recreation comment came from.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post

That's a good take, appreciate it.
    Just don't be like me and buy an E-bike, hack it, ride to work at 50km/h. Piss off everyone on the bike path.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    "Look at my small penis everyone,"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast