Quantcast
American Buyers For Canadian Trucks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: American Buyers For Canadian Trucks?

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Default American Buyers For Canadian Trucks?

Been hearing anecdotal stories of American buyers coming up and buying used Canadian trucks but can't seem to track down details from anyone who actually sold a truck to an American wholesaler.
    Anyone have details about the actual sale process? Eg how are they paying for the trucks-money orders? Bank drafts?

My co-worker is selling a low km 20189 Tundra SR5 after moving from an EB Ford (hates the Tundra and it's a pig on gas) and had someone message him about buying it.
    They are up front about their interest in the truck (no Nigerian uncle or any nonsense) and are willing to possibly go 2K over ask to buy it.
    What should he be on the lookout for besides the usual Kijiji idiots? Anyone go through this process?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Offering over ask is a dead giveaway. This is a scam.

Legit exporters are already here in town and will view the truck in person and have no issue meeting you at the bank to get the draft made out in front of you.

These people will not.

Call South Trail exports to get one offer on the vehicle. Not saying you need to sell to them, but worth a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Offering over ask is a dead giveaway. This is a scam.

Legit exporters are already here in town and will view the truck in person and have no issue meeting you at the bank to get the draft made out in front of you.

These people will not.

Call South Trail exports to get one offer on the vehicle. Not saying you need to sell to them, but worth a call.
    Not always. Some people legitimately under price things, I’ve paid over asking for plenty of vehicles.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I defer to your expertise. You've bought and sold probably 20x as many vehicles as me.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

OP just make sure your friend meets at a bank and sees the draft made, that’s about as legit as it gets. That’s always our preferred way to buy or sell any vehicles.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    OP just make sure your friend meets at a bank and sees the draft made, that’s about as legit as it gets. That’s always our preferred way to buy or sell any vehicles.
    Critical.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Anyone want to pay full sticker for my truck?

I could use radar cruise
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Anyone want to pay full sticker for my truck?

I could use radar cruise
    "Sticker price, and not a penny more".
    I think @Tik-Tok should be your man.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Well after some further digging I found out some details that got left out.
    Like the "buyer" was actually a local broker looking to advertise the truck on other sites and he had buyers lined up ready to buy.
    All of this for only $299 up front.
    A quick Google search of the phone number confirmed this.
    Oh well.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

EXcarsandtruckz? lol.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    Well after some further digging I found out some details that got left out.
    Like the "buyer" was actually a local broker looking to advertise the truck on other sites and he had buyers lined up ready to buy.
    All of this for only $299 up front.
    A quick Google search of the phone number confirmed this.
    Oh well.
    Oh, shitty. Slimy bastards!

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Huh that took an unexpected turn. Yesterday I had some company based out of Arizona contact me about one vehicle I am wholesaling to try and suck me in, I think they were called Drivably. Looking online it looks like they convince people they can offer $XXXXX and to take the vehicle to a dealer for “inspection” where they then lowball the crap out of you.

My Ride
    *The First*

Huh that took an unexpected turn. Yesterday I had some company based out of Arizona contact me about one vehicle I am wholesaling to try and suck me in, I think they were called Drivably. Looking online it looks like they convince people they can offer $XXXXX and to take the vehicle to a dealer for “inspection” where they then lowball the crap out of you.
    *Not saying this is you - just relating a story...

When I used to sell cars <$2k that was the M.O. of every potential buyer that got an inspection. Every inspection ruined a sale.
    Hard to imagine, but there were times that I turned into a real prick about it.
    "Oooohhhhh!!! I didn't realize that you were shopping for a perfect vehicle with a full warranty, no rust, and zero defects. Please accept my deepest apologies and empathize with my baffling confusion as you analyze the mechanical report from this 20 year-old Jetta with 300,000km on it priced at $1,450. You see, (and you're going to laugh at this), I was under the impression that you were looking for a fifteen hundred dollar car.
    Don't worry, though - I can still help. Let me give you step-by-step directions to the nearest dealership that will be able to accommodate your exacting specifications. Don't forget to bring twenty five thousand dollars with you, and you will get precisely the vehicle you need and deserve!"

LoL! Eventually I crafted a way to refuse allowing them to get Mech Inspections. Some walked, which was fine, but others it worked out great and in some instances, I could profit in a convoluted way. It was way better not having to deal with that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Nothing like paying over 10% of asking on an inspection.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Nothing like paying over 10% of asking on an inspection.
    Exactly! "I'm so smart - I'm going to pay to ensure I don't get ripped off... 5x... Because shit box cars are shit box cars... Whoa, I'm so glad I dodged those bullets.
    Why am I broke?"

My Ride
    This and that.

Shitty situation but I wouldn't let this deter you from dealing with 'outside buyers'. A buddy of mine sold his F150 last year for his exact asking price and someone came down from the States and purchased it. He said even at his asking price it was cheaper for him to purchase it in Canada as opposed to locally and I believe he had intended to re-sell it himself once back in the States.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The one time I let someone have a shop inspect one of my vehicles years ago it was such a pain in the ass fuck around I decided I’d rather not sell then go through it again. Buyer did eventually buy it at full price after trying any possible way to reduce the price.

My Ride
    Has wheels

The one time I let someone have a shop inspect one of my vehicles years ago it was such a pain in the ass fuck around I decided I’d rather not sell then go through it again. Buyer did eventually buy it at full price after trying any possible way to reduce the price.
    Lots of people out there that want the item at full price(used goods) but want to try and save a dollar just because or they enjoy "negotiating". At the end of the day, if you don't ask the question, the answer is definitely no.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

If I am getting a warranty, I don't care about an inspection, if there is something mechanically wrong, it'll get fixed. No biggie. But the only places offering a warranty are dealers.

If I am buying a vehicle privately, it is always an "as-is" purchase. I want to know what I am getting into before I hand over my money as we all know what "Ran when parked" means, etc... So yeah, I would even have an inspection done on a $2000 car, just for that knowledge. And who knows, if the inspection turns up something I missed, I can save myself a lot of hassle, or, negotiate on the price to accomodate that unknown repair. I am not out to screw a seller, but, if I can catch an engine about to spin a bearing or have an unscheduled rapid disassembly, I would rather be out $200 for the inspection rather than $2k and then figure out what to do with the car.

but, that's just me. And I haven't done that in over 12+ years now.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    4x4

All the guys I ran into doing US exports were the little hustler/curber types... (seriously i don't think any were over 5'6)

There was no dicking around advertising, and they sure as hell didn't tell you in advance that's what they were doing because that'd move their cost up. Just 'ok deal but we need to swing by the registry for (?lien search?) - then a bank for draft (or they had cash in hand). It was the registry trip that was the only thing 'abnormal'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast