Quantcast
American Buyers For Canadian Trucks? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: American Buyers For Canadian Trucks?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I am getting a warranty, I don't care about an inspection, if there is something mechanically wrong, it'll get fixed. No biggie. But the only places offering a warranty are dealers.

If I am buying a vehicle privately, it is always an "as-is" purchase. I want to know what I am getting into before I hand over my money as we all know what "Ran when parked" means, etc... So yeah, I would even have an inspection done on a $2000 car, just for that knowledge. And who knows, if the inspection turns up something I missed, I can save myself a lot of hassle, or, negotiate on the price to accomodate that unknown repair. I am not out to screw a seller, but, if I can catch an engine about to spin a bearing or have an unscheduled rapid disassembly, I would rather be out $200 for the inspection rather than $2k and then figure out what to do with the car.

but, that's just me. And I haven't done that in over 12+ years now.
    That’s fair but in this case someone came and checked out the car, agreed the price was fine, asked me to take the vehicle to his mechanic for inspection which was 80km round trip for me, refused to give me a ride home after dropping off the car, and then when nothing was found instead of buying he forced me to take another 80km round trip to get the car and spent a week trying to make excuses to take a grand off after already agreeing on a price pending inspection. It was a huge annoyance for me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    That’s fair but in this case someone came and checked out the car, agreed the price was fine, asked me to take the vehicle to his mechanic for inspection which was 80km round trip for me, refused to give me a ride home after dropping off the car, and then when nothing was found instead of buying he forced me to take another 80km round trip to get the car and spent a week trying to make excuses to take a grand off after already agreeing on a price pending inspection. It was a huge annoyance for me.
    Yeah, that's a dick move for sure. I probably would have found a reason to charge him more lol.

On the flip side, I lined up a vehicle to buy, thought the price was good, and was willing to buy it. IIRC it was an '86 Monte Carlo SS. Car was pretty pristine, but this was in like '96 or '97 and the dealer wasn't willing to offer a warranty. This was before everyone was offering extended warranties on EVERYTHING lol. They wanted like $4k for it or something. I took it for a drive and it ran well, shifted badly and had a whine coming from the rear.

They were ok with me taking it for an inspection, and it revealed that the rear crown and pinion, basically the whole rear diff needed to be rebuilt, the transmission basically had no first gear. I thought it was pretty peppy, but the mechanic took it for a spin and came back saying that it was REALLY underpowered for an SS. I asked him what it was going to take to bring it up to spec and he quoted me something like $6k. No way I could afford $10k to get the car up to snuff, which was really dissapointing because my heart was already in the driver's seat. When I returned the car to the dealer, I let them know I was going to pass on the car due to the repairs it was going to need. They wanted me to give them the mechanic's report and told em for $200 sure. I wasn't giving the info away for free. They did, and when they saw it, they still tried to make a deal with me, but it was still going to be too expensive, even with them agreeing to pay for 1/2 the repairs if they could do it in house.

I am kicking myself today for not finding a way to make the deal happen, but 17 year old me could not afford it. But fuck, the body and frame were mint. T-tops, black with red pin striping, and at the time, had a good ODO reading. That car would be worth a small fortune today.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    *The First*

^Ha! That builds character!
    The things you own, end up owning you. And, you made the right decision at the right time based on your circumstances.
    I also wish for you it could've turned out better. But you still made the right call.

I've ended up making a decision like that in my personal career that has cost me... Fuck... I don't really want to tally it, but it's not a small amount.
    Nevertheless... If you were able to get the best information in front of you to help you make the best decision at the time, and it STILL ended up being wrong, how mad can you really be?
    Dealer showed 6 and you stayed on 14. It was the right thing to do.

Listed my '18 Ecoboost 3.5L on Kijiji for $39,500. Five minutes later I get a call from a guy, asks me what I would settle at. Seeing as I'd just posted it and got about 5 other phone calls while on a call with him, I said I'll settle for $39,000. Sends me $500 and set a meeting at TD Bank in Airdrie to settle up.

Get to Airdrie and 15 minutes later my Ford financing is confirmed paid and I have the remainder deposited in my account. Done and done.

Paid $47,500, drove it for 77k over 3.5 years, sold for $39,000.

Guy makes money on CAD/USD exchange, so it's all about volume. Picked up 14 trucks the day they grabbed mine. I still have access via Ford app and can see it in the US right now, so full circle no scam here.

Anyway, good luck buying used trucks with guys like this around right now - but if you're looking to sell, here's a plug for him https://paynesauto.com/ - guy's name is Brandon and he's a pretty impressive kid if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Listed my '18 Ecoboost 3.5L on Kijiji for $39,500. Five minutes later I get a call from a guy, asks me what I would settle at. Seeing as I'd just posted it and got about 5 other phone calls while on a call with him, I said I'll settle for $39,000. Sends me $500 and set a meeting at TD Bank in Airdrie to settle up.

Get to Airdrie and 15 minutes later my Ford financing is confirmed paid and I have the remainder deposited in my account. Done and done.

Paid $47,500, drove it for 77k over 3.5 years, sold for $39,000.

Guy makes money on CAD/USD exchange, so it's all about volume. Picked up 14 trucks the day they grabbed mine. I still have access via Ford app and can see it in the US right now, so full circle no scam here.

Anyway, good luck buying used trucks with guys like this around right now - but if you're looking to sell, here's a plug for him https://paynesauto.com/ - guy's name is Brandon and he's a pretty impressive kid if you ask me.
    Happy for you! .
    But pissed off in general about this garbage.

I'll be in a position within the next year to need a dedicated truck for work.... Prices are insanely inflated and the used market had miled out or bagged to shit trucks.

I was hoping to spend $35-$45k for an InRich loaded truck but can't find much under $55k.

Hoping the market cools off a bit by the time I need to pull the trigger.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You'll be buying brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You'll be buying brand new.
    This
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm hoping this keeps the value high on my 2015 as I keep it for the next few years. Seems to me that a non trivial amount of our trucks are being exported. similiar trucks are posted for $30k, which is crazy considering I paid $44 back in 2015. There also used to be several pages of listings.. Down to less than 1 now.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-27-2021 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I'm hooping this keeps the value high on my 2015 as I keep it for the next few years. Seems to me that a non trivial amount of our trucks are being exported. similiar trucks are posted for $30k, which is crazy considering I paid $44 back in 2015
    This is actually horrible for the local economy and Canadian consumers. The government should be charging a massive fee/tax on any exported vehicles as a disincentive to stop this BS. A massive amount of newer used vehicles, not just trucks, have been exported over the past 5 years resulting in an artificial supply shortage in Canada and hugely inflated used vehicle prices. As a Canadian consumer you should be pissed about this as you are getting hurt by it. Canadians get screwed over on most things as a consumer (food pricing, cable, cell phones, fuel, electronics, etc.) though so maybe we’ve just all come to accept this?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This is actually horrible for the local economy and Canadian consumers. The government should be charging a massive fee/tax on any exported vehicles as a disincentive to stop this BS. A massive amount of newer used vehicles, not just trucks, have been exported over the past 5 years resulting in an artificial supply shortage in Canada and hugely inflated used vehicle prices. As a Canadian consumer you should be pissed about this as you are getting hurt by it. Canadians get screwed over on most things as a consumer (food pricing, cable, cell phones, fuel, electronics, etc.) though so maybe we’ve just all come to accept this?
    There are tons of trucks that can’t be exported because there is a huge tariff on them. Any HD dodge, certain years and trim levels of half ton Dodge, crew cab pre 2019 GM half tons, certain trims and configurations of 2019 GMs half tons are not exportable and will remain here. The global chip shortage is pushing prices crazy high everywhere, book values are up thousands of dollars on most mid range models these days.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Probably all part of our climate action plan. Get the average age of the vehicle fleet newer?

Honestly, the used vehicle market is impacted by a lot of broader issues than this. Just look at the USA where they have NOT been exporting. It's skyrocketed there as well.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Canadians deserve what they get. That's what we voted for.

My Ride
    Silverado

There are tons of trucks that can’t be exported because there is a huge tariff on them. Any HD dodge, certain years and trim levels of half ton Dodge, crew cab pre 2019 GM half tons, certain trims and configurations of 2019 GMs half tons are not exportable and will remain here. The global chip shortage is pushing prices crazy high everywhere, book values are up thousands of dollars on most mid range models these days.
    So what you're saying is my indiana build double cab is ripe for export

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    So what you're saying is my indiana build double cab is ripe for export
    Likely yes.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Canadians are screwed because the government doesn’t put up barriers to trade to try and prevent Canadian truck buyers from getting market value of their vehicles when it comes time to sell?

There is nothing stopping people from buying a used truck here, except for the fact that Canadians aren’t willing to pay market price for them. That’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

If Canada wanted cheaper things like the states, then they should be a better country.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

There are tons of trucks that can’t be exported because there is a huge tariff on them. Any HD dodge, certain years and trim levels of half ton Dodge, crew cab pre 2019 GM half tons, certain trims and configurations of 2019 GMs half tons are not exportable and will remain here.
    Any chance you can elaborate on why certain models/trims aren't exportable? Did they have packages/parts that weren't certified for the US market or something?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Any chance you can elaborate on why certain models/trims aren't exportable? Did they have packages/parts that weren't certified for the US market or something?
    Non US built trucks are subject to a 25% tariff when exported to the US now. So if your vin starts with a 1 or 5 it’s exportable, if it’s a 2 or 3 then no go.

Canadians are screwed because the government doesn’t put up barriers to trade to try and prevent Canadian truck buyers from getting market value of their vehicles when it comes time to sell?

There is nothing stopping people from buying a used truck here, except for the fact that Canadians aren’t willing to pay market price for them. That’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

If Canada wanted cheaper things like the states, then they should be a better country.
    Problem is, people realize trucks aren't selling for a reasonable price.
    Prices are artificially inflated due to our weak dollar therefore driving up the price.

If I were to drop $60k () on a new truck and two years from now we see a flood of vehicles come in therefore arbitrarily dropping the value of my vehicle, its me who loses.

Same issue with the housing market. It needs to be a balance, not massive swings one way or the other.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

No one seemed to mind when we were all buying cheap vehicles from the US, when our dollar was on par.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If anything the problem is our trucks are priced under market from new, which is why they are worth exporting immediately after rolling off the lot.

But no one is complaining about that.

The dollar is what the dollar is, nothing “artificial” about it, and it sure as hell isn’t getting better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    No one seemed to mind when we were all buying cheap vehicles from the US, when our dollar was on par.
    This

fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast