Quantcast
American Buyers For Canadian Trucks? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: American Buyers For Canadian Trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything the problem is our trucks are priced under market from new, which is why they are worth exporting immediately after rolling off the lot.

But no one is complaining about that.

The dollar is what the dollar is, nothing “artificial” about it, and it sure as hell isn’t getting better.

- - - Updated - - -

This

Maybe I am simply a cheap cunt, but how is gods name is a half ton worth $75-$80k?
    That is under priced in your mind?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Maybe I am simply a cheap cunt, but how is gods name is a half ton worth $75-$80k?
    By the time you pile on all the bells and whistles that people demand today’s into their 5,000lb, 21 foot long, leather lined, seats 6, aluminum clad, hybrid, towes 14,000lb mobile. No shit there has been some price creep beyond inflation.

Go stick any half ton on the lot next to a half ton from 10 years ago, or 20 years ago. We aren’t even talking about the same class of vehicles anyone, and frankly no one wants the old ones in any significant quantities.

They sell for more, fx adjusted, a few thousand km from here with prices propped up by a political and porous border. That’s what makes them underpriced and that’s why we can’t keep 2 year old used trucks in this country.

If someone other than an exporter was willing to give me $60 grand for my used truck I would have happily sold it to them, but those people don’t exist when you can get a new one for 62 off the lot with 7 year 0% financing.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-27-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    If they were overpriced, they would sit on the lot for a year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, overpriced good generally do not sell. The market is rarely wrong, but our opinions may be.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    If they were overpriced, they would sit on the lot for a year.
    No, because the financing terms have shifted from an (average) 5 year amortization to a 8+ year amortization so people can "afford" these vehicles.

Last time I bought a new vehicle (2013) the longest financing term was 84 months, and back then I thought THAT was crazy.

At the end of the day, people will still make terrible financial choices which is ruining it for the rest of us who try to be prudent.

I am just yelling at clouds because:
    a) I'm cheap
    b) I'm going to be in a situation where I don't feel the price I will need to pay is worth the value of what I am buying

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Half you seen the lease a truck for $500 bucks thread?

You aren’t alone.

I only sold my truck because I never used it and it was so easy to get my money back. Made me sick thinking of how much money I had tied up in a truck that spend 29 days a month parked outside my house. It would also be just as easy to get another truck if I change my mind in 2 months.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Have you followed my last decade of trucks? The value of lightly used trucks has been fucked for a very long time.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Half you seen the lease a truck for $500 bucks thread?
    Honestly a lease might be my best bet, depending on the annual mileage allowance.

I will be making 5-6 trips to FSJ each year, and they won't be gentle trips.

Will likely need 30-40k km/year allowance depending on cost.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Non US built trucks are subject to a 25% tariff when exported to the US now. So if your vin starts with a 1 or 5 it’s exportable, if it’s a 2 or 3 then no go.
    Gotcha, thanks!

Canadians are screwed because the government doesnÂ’t put up barriers to trade to try and prevent Canadian truck buyers from getting market value of their vehicles when it comes time to sell?

There is nothing stopping people from buying a used truck here, except for the fact that Canadians arenÂ’t willing to pay market price for them. ThatÂ’s not a bug, itÂ’s a feature.

If Canada wanted cheaper things like the states, then they should be a better country.
    This is just a really poor take. The exchange rate is the only reason for the price difference...not sure if you understand that or not. The market value of the vehicle is what someone is willing to pay in the market, which is Canada. The US market is a separate market and there is an arbitrage created simply due to exchange rate. Every vehicle exported from Canada artificially inflates out market which hurts Canadian consumers. Exporters make money, Americans make money, the seller of the vehicle may make a small amount more (hundreds?) and an easier transaction, but this is damaging to the Canadian economy and consumers.

The government should be concerned with making life better for Canadians and Canadian consumers. Exporting vehicles hurts Canadians.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    This is just a really poor take. The exchange rate is the only reason for the price difference...not sure if you understand that or not. The market value of the vehicle is what someone is willing to pay in the market, which is Canada. The US market is a separate market and there is an arbitrage created simply due to exchange rate. Every vehicle exported from Canada artificially inflates out market which hurts Canadian consumers. Exporters make money, Americans make money, the seller of the vehicle may make a small amount more (hundreds?) and an easier transaction, but this is damaging to the Canadian economy and consumers.

The government should be concerned with making life better for Canadians and Canadian consumers. Exporting vehicles hurts Canadians.
    The bigger market for trucks in different countries is due exclusively to their differing currency values?

Sellers make hundreds?

Those are some pretty inaccurate statements.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So the high prices for used trucks in the USA are caused by . . . . .nothing?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Wonder what the US market is like for low mileage Canadian V8 4Runners.. Hmmm...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Government artificially deflating the value of used trucks isn’t good for Canadians either, maybe good for cheap fucks like you who don’t want to pay market price for trucks, but hundreds of thousands of Canadians buying new trucks every year are pretty happy their vehicles don’t depreciate by 80% in the first few years.

Exchange rate is not a real reason to generate a material arbitrage opportunity anyway, it’s way too fucking liquid and easy to exploit.

fact.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Wonder what the US market is like for low mileage Canadian V8 4Runners.. Hmmm...
    Not sure that market could be any more inflated.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by type_s1 View Post
    here is a really poor take:
    The exchange rate is the only reason for the price difference...not sure if you understand that or not. The market value of the vehicle is what someone is willing to pay in the market, which is canada. The us market is a separate market and there is an arbitrage created simply due to exchange rate. Every vehicle exported from canada artificially inflates out market which hurts canadian consumers. Exporters make money, americans make money, the seller of the vehicle may make a small amount more (hundreds?) and an easier transaction, but this is damaging to the canadian economy and consumers.

The government should be concerned with making life better for canadians and canadian consumers. Exporting vehicles hurts canadians.
    ftfy

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Huh, before your break from beyond you were a raging capitalist, now you’re some sort of commie???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3