Quantcast
Going Full Straight Edge For All January!! - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Going Full Straight Edge For All January!!

Curious how many drinks and/or intoxicants people were having before the soberness? I used to be able to drink a growler to myself easily and it was just a light buzz. Now its typically just a tall boy once or twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We did tons of stuff. What kind of stuff are you talking about that is something you can't do by having kids early?
    IMHO you're not a fully realized adult in your 20s yet. Brain literally hasn't finished developing until 25-28ish. Would've missed out on leaving for far flung trips on drop of a hat, socializing/dating and just figuring yourself out. I also would've had trouble with the responsibility of kids in my 20s. Learned a lot of life skills through free time and experimenting.

On the flip side would've been a lot easier raising little ones on little to no sleep and minimal work stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    IMHO you're not a fully realized adult in your 20s yet. Brain literally hasn't finished developing until 25-28ish. Would've missed out on leaving for far flung trips on drop of a hat, socializing/dating and just figuring yourself out. I also would've had trouble with the responsibility of kids in my 20s. Learned a lot of life skills through free time and experimenting.

On the flip side would've been a lot easier raising little ones on little to no sleep and minimal work stress.
    I was a kid with a lot of freedom growing up and I guess I was doing a lot of shit earlier than most. I quit school when I was 16 in grade 11 and moved 3400mile from home in small town BC to small town Quebec (of all places) because I went there in a week long student exchange and got laid non-stop and could get in the bars so I told my parents I wasn't coming home. I got a job in a tire shop and a shithole basement apartment and pretty much forgot the next four years in a haze of booze and French chicks. Travelled, partied, and screwed a ton so that by the time I hit my mid 20's I was ready for more for sure. Met my soon to be wife while we were both on holidays in Mexico, me being 26 and living in Vancouver at this time and her being 19 and living in Seattle. We saw each other 8 times over 2 months before I talked her into moving in with me in Van and we were married a month after that. Found out a week after we were married I already slipped one past the goalie and she was pregnant. Our first kid was both 11.5 months from the day we first met and we just had our 24th wedding anniversary January 1st (New Years wedding).

My point being, while I would not recommend my path for all of course, not everyone needs so long to figure out what life is about for them. I never missed out on a thing, fucked a lot of shit up in the wake behind me, and both me and my wife were in our 40's when both kids were on their own and supporting themselves and I gotta say, all the travelling and shit we do now is actually way cooler than it was in our early 20's. The appreciation factor is a whole lot different and we are still are young enough to fuck shit up... Just with a whole lot better quality food and drink when we do it! lol!
    Last edited by tirebob; 02-17-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Nice! I guess you need to get the adventures out of your system sooner or later. Interesting to see the teenage friends who smoked and drank a lot back in the day have mostly sworn it off or use a lot less than I do now haha. I also think the intoxicants whatever it might be eventually 'turns on you' at some point. Its always fun at the start but eventually it just becomes your baseline and feels like its in charge of you rather than the other way around.

And ya travel does get better as you age in a way because more $ of course and it just takes time to become a good traveler.

My Ride
    *The First*

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@ThePenIsMightier you made it buddy. I made it too. No alcohol for the entire month of February. Can't say ti did much for me, but it did confirm how much late-evening snacking fucks up my sleep. I think two beers after supper has less impact on me. I think once an extra slice of pie is messing with your nights, you are officially old. Not @speedog old, not getting the front of the line for Covid vaccination old, but old nonetheless.

Anyway, yay we did it. woohoo.
    Name:  7d4a4d5c-a88c-496a-b1bb-185b0d39c322-giphy.gif
Views: 161
Size:  1.72 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

"Looks like we made it". (That was stuck in my head, hard. That's why I posted that Shania song. I don't think I could even recall the rest of that song, LoL!)

It wasn't really difficult, which it shouldn't have been, so there we are. Wifey did it, too so I think we saved some coin. Drank a lot of decaf tea and Pellegrino (which is about $4 cheaper per case at Costco than it was a few months ago) so that was fine.

I expect I'll carry through until this weekend and take it easy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah my wife did the month too with me. She actually mentioned she was really missing having the evening cider or wine a few days a week. I noticed it most when I was out at a cute little restaurant in the mountains on the weekend that had some of my favourite beers on tap, and my brother was drinking one in front of me. But yeah, wasn't that tough overall, which is probably a good sign. If not drinking is really difficult, it's a sign you should not drink. That's my opinion anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I personally am doing a lot better overall sans alcohol and THC. I did have a single one ounce scotch a week ago with a buddy and enjoyed it but that was all since the beginning of the year and zero THC. I am going to keep this new lifestyle going!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8