Quantcast
Predictions for a Biden presidency - MEGA THREAD - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Predictions for a Biden presidency - MEGA THREAD

In 1995, I kept a $20 in my pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

As for forgiving debt. I can imagine car loans might be next. Or some sort of incentive. Crush your combustion engine car by way of crushinator, and the government will call it even.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone have a theory on why TC energy stock didn’t drop and is actually up a bit today?
    I think this was mostly priced in.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Anyone know how far along the KXL pipeline is from our end? 50%? 75%?

Do you finish the job? Or abandon it? Is that how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Just to add to Buster's line of thought, there's a lot more ways to make money than grinding a 9-5. Fortune favours those who embrace what technology can offer and can leverage it in a way to increase revenue stream.

Misterman points out that people have a lot of useless shit, yet they underestimate the value of the dollar when buying said useless shit. We're at record levels of consumer debt, with car debt in the trillions.

People have purchasing power, they just don't use it wisely. I'm cherry picking, but it is always interesting to see someone drive a shitbox while wearing a Canada Goose jacket and the newest iPhone.

I was going to elaborate on that by saying that even before gasoline, you still had feed for your horse and buggy maintenance to think about. Or that back in early times everyone was an entrepreneur that lived a barter lifestyle and didn't rely on paychecks from a job since their were few. But it was a flawed argument to start with, you can split hairs like this all day and make whatever crazy comparisons you want. But there is a reason that Economists look at it the way they do. The major flaw I see is nobody seems to include taxation in their calculations despite it being one of the biggest considerations in buying power.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I was going to elaborate on that by saying that even before gasoline, you still had feed for your horse and buggy maintenance to think about. Or that back in early times everyone was an entrepreneur that lived a barter lifestyle and didn't rely on paychecks from a job since their were few. But it was a flawed argument to start with, you can split hairs like this all day and make whatever crazy comparisons you want. But there is a reason that Economists look at it the way they do. The major flaw I see is nobody seems to include taxation in their calculations despite it being one of the biggest considerations in buying power.
    I agree. The debate I was having with Buster is that he is arguing purchasing power, but his argument reflects more of a quality of life argument. Everything he is putting forward is a time saver or to make something easier. That's quality of life. When your basic necessities take up more of your disposable income, you have less discressionary cash to spend, thus less purchasing power. If the relative costs of living went down from 1974, then he would be right, but, the data I have seen suggests the opposite, that free cash has gone down.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Mexican illegals are for sure happy now, those that endured the last four years that is.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    I agree. The debate I was having with Buster is that he is arguing purchasing power, but his argument reflects more of a quality of life argument. Everything he is putting forward is a time saver or to make something easier. That's quality of life. When your basic necessities take up more of your disposable income, you have less discressionary cash to spend, thus less purchasing power. If the relative costs of living went down from 1974, then he would be right, but, the data I have seen suggests the opposite, that free cash has gone down.
    Shouldn't the "basket of goods" that the Consumer Price Index and thus inflation uses help to settle this argument?
    Or, had that changed too much over this period of time?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This is called personal, or revolving debt (not just mortgage) in depreciating assets - and this has risen dramatically as young people now keep up with the Joneses on twitter.

In 1995, it would have been considered INSANE to keep a 1000$ device in your pocket for daily use - mobile phones had their place though.
    I'm not here to sway your anyone's debate on purchasing power vs quality of life because I think both play a role in having a reasonable lifestyle through reasonable cost, but I just thought it's important not to forget that a lot of other factors play into when people they that have stifled purchasing power.

I believe a lot of people would be much further along if they had more financial savvyness, but that's coming from a place of privilege and opportunity that not everyone has.

I'm reminded of the saying, "Stop buying things we don't need with money you don't have to impress people you don't like."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Big Mac Index is the only fair way to do this.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    your definition of purchasing power is too narrow to have utility in comparing long term time frames.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Big Mac Index is the only fair way to do this.
    BOGO tho....

My Ride
    2010 S4

Just to add to Buster's line of thought, there's a lot more ways to make money than grinding a 9-5. Fortune favours those who embrace what technology can offer and can leverage it in a way to increase revenue stream.

Misterman points out that people have a lot of useless shit, yet they underestimate the value of the dollar when buying said useless shit. We're at record levels of consumer debt, with car debt in the trillions.

People have purchasing power, they just don't use it wisely. I'm cherry picking, but it is always interesting to see someone drive a shitbox while wearing a Canada Goose jacket and the newest iPhone.
    I suppose one could argue that having a shit box with no debt and some nice things is probably better than all the people holding a piece of that trillion dollar car debt to drive something flashy

I think this was mostly priced in.
    Actually I was just being and idiot and didn’t realize US markets were closed today. Their tsx ticker was down 4.5% so that makes more sense now.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Of course, you can find examples that are all over the spectrum. Broke people can drive $800, $8k, or $80k cars.

Having no debt to your name is the goal.

Anyway, I digress. This isn't a thread on consumer debt.

My Ride
    NC1

Of course, you can find examples that are all over the spectrum. Broke people can drive $800, $8k, or $80k cars.

Having no debt to your name is the goal.

Anyway, I digress. This isn't a thread on consumer debt.
    well that’s no fun!!

Gotta say though, day one priority to kill XL shows no prisoner on oil. Hawaiian welfare bum looking mighty tempting. Sell all vehicles, hit the beach and live on pineapples and shellfish.

I mean really, six digit Hawaiian welfare recipient is a solid lock now.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-19-2021 at 12:36 PM.

As usual ZH has the most concise sum up of changes:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bi...00-day-masking

I do wonder how much of the Mexican border wall actually got built. Assuming that laziness will win the day, its not going to be dismantled, so its just going to be a completely ineffectual wall with missing sections.

Democracy means: Spend a billion on a wall that anyone can walk around, Spend a billion on a pipeline that hooks up to nothing. Dynastic rule through kingdoms where projects actually get finished must be starting to look good to someone. Is China laughing right now? At least they built a functional wall.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-20-2021 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    I do wonder how much of the Mexican border wall actually got built. Assuming that laziness will win the day, its not going to be dismantled, so its just going to be a completely ineffectual wall with missing sections.
    A lot of the border had walls before Trump, and a little more has walls now. It was never really an "end to end" single wall in concept or execution.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

A lot of the border had walls before Trump, and a little more has walls now. It was never really an "end to end" single wall in concept or execution.
    It's impressive that 1/4 of the 2000 mile border is walled. It's unimpressive that only 80 miles of it is new fence.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tik-tok View Post
    it's impressive that 1/4 of the 2000 mile border is walled. It's unimpressive that only 80 miles of it is new fence.
    but turmp made dat walllllllllll!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast