Quantcast
Danielle Smith Leaves Radio - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Danielle Smith Leaves Radio

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Danielle Smith Leaves Radio

https://globalnews.ca/news/7568250/d...e-corus-radio/

I took a walk in the snow and I decided it’s time to go. I’ll be leaving the radio stations and Corus next month. This is my decision. I know many of you will be disappointed so I’ll try my best to explain why.

The nearly six years I’ve spent in radio have been some of the most gratifying in my career. Together we’ve explored nearly every topic imaginable from hard news, to emerging technologies that will transform how we use energy, to unusual occupations and interests — who knew there was such a thing as an apple detective? — to providing a platform and voice for those who are otherwise powerless.

I’ve always taken my guidance on topics from you and you’ve never let me down.

But something’s changed for me.

It will be no surprise to you that I am gravely troubled by how easily most in our society have chosen to give up on freedom. Free enterprise, freedom of religion and conscience, free assembly, freedom of movement, freedom of the press. Freedom of speech, in particular, is in a dire state. My entire adult life and career has been spent questioning authority and institutions and conventional wisdom. I’ve been all too aware that in many nations of the world it is against the law to speak truth to power. It can be dangerous. Sadly, in the last year I’ve noticed there are times where it has become perilous here too.

I am grateful I have been given so much editorial latitude and the ability to touch on a great many topics by the radio stations and by extension Corus. In that regard I have sought to be balanced and to provide the best information available from as many perspectives as possible.

Unfortunately over the last few years far too many topics have become unchallengeable and the mob of political correctness thinks nothing of destroying a person’s career and reputation over some perceived slight, real or imagined. I’ve found that as a result there are many topics I simply choose not to cover anymore.

You rely on me to seek the truth and to give you my honest opinion. In this hyper-sensitive social media environment I don’t believe I can do that anymore. So it’s time for me to go.

I do believe there is going to be a great reckoning in the next several years as we come to terms with what we’ve allowed social media to do to our relationships, our society, and our public discourse.

Psychologist and philosopher Jonathan Haidt in his book The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Religion and Politics writes, “I yearn for a world in which competing ideologies are kept in balance, systems of accountability keep us all from getting away with too much, and fewer people believe that righteous ends justify violent means.” I assure you, so do I.

It is going to take a great effort to get back to that balance. I intend to do my part to help realize this ideal and restore our liberty. I just won’t be doing it from the radio every day after February 19th. You can follow me at daniellesmith.ca if you are interested in knowing where I end up. There are many more conversations to be had on many more topics, but for now I’ve said my piece.

It’s been an honour sharing this time with you.

I wonder what the topics were that she wanted to cover that she didn't want to do out of fear for her job/reputation.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think working in that field you need to be constantly censoring yourself. It would be awful. I disagree with Danielle Smith about a lot of things, but I do respect her for taking on several difficult challenges.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Run for mayor, split the right with Farkas, Nenshi wins again.

Standard Danielle Smith playbook.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Tough to remain objective on an ad supported platform.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Run for mayor, split the right with Farkas, Nenshi wins again.

Standard Danielle Smith playbook.
    A competition between a Muslim, Gay and Woman to be a mayor. SJW's worst nightmare.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-12-2021 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

finally leaving 'public' life like she said she would. almost a decade ago

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    finally leaving 'public' life like she said she would. almost a decade ago
    Sure she is

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    I wonder what the topics were that she wanted to cover that she didn't want to do out of fear for her job/reputation.
    Take the author out of the statement and tell me why you disagree with the validity of it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

For the first time ever, joined Twitter. Just because of Trump.

Freedom of speech is ok, but I think banning the combustion engine is slightly more problematic for Alberta. When Manny rides his 3 mile per gallon Bugatti, its keeping people in Alberta rich.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-12-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I dunno man, sounds like she just doesn't feel like she can voice her opinion but she is blaming it on the "hyper-sensitive social media environment".
    Why not blame them but still voice your opinion and not care? It's not like she is for white supremacy or a pedo.
    Not really different from a comedian, except she's never funny or as interesting.

I don't mind her decision for stepping off the platform, but I do have an issue with the way she worded her reasoning.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I dunno man, sounds like she just doesn't feel like she can voice her opinion but she is blaming it on the "hyper-sensitive social media environment".
    Why not blame them but still voice your opinion and not care? It's not like she is for white supremacy or a pedo.
    Not really different from a comedian, except she's never funny or as interesting.

I don't mind her decision for stepping off the platform, but I do have an issue with the way she worded her reasoning.
    I don't think it's about being able to voice her opinion and "not care". She may not care at all what the reaction is, but the potential fallout could ruin the rest of her career (whatever that might be), and she deems that's not an acceptable level of risk. That's the way I'm interpreting it anyways.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I have little argument against these particular statements personally:

"I am gravely troubled by how easily most in our society have chosen to give up on freedom. Free enterprise, freedom of religion and conscience, free assembly, freedom of movement, freedom of the press. Freedom of speech, in particular, is in a dire state.

I’ve been all too aware that in many nations of the world it is against the law to speak truth to power. It can be dangerous. Sadly, in the last year I’ve noticed there are times where it has become perilous here too.

Unfortunately over the last few years far too many topics have become unchallengeable and the mob of political correctness thinks nothing of destroying a person’s career and reputation over some perceived slight, real or imagined."

I've never listened to a word she's said, she isn't on my radar at all but I don't find these to be invalid points.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride

So, like what kind of topics really? I can't think of one that would "destroy your career" unless you were against science or not backing your views with real substance.

I know it's not that simple as I may be making it out to be, but at the same time I don't really get it either.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

unless you were against science or not backing your views with real substance.
    I mean, didnt she say hydroxychloroquine was 100% effective at treating covid?

My Ride
    Silverado

So, like what kind of topics really? I can't think of one that would "destroy your career" unless you were against science or not backing your views with real substance.

I know it's not that simple as I may be making it out to be, but at the same time I don't really get it either.
    An example could be allowing 13 year olds to prevent puberty without parental consent. I have listened to the show maybe a few dozen times over the years. Can't say I remember anything too controversial but it's been a long time.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 01-12-2021 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I still think that's grand standing and an excuse to move on to something else. If she does indeed join the Calgary mayor race, I am not sure that statement hurts or helps her case.

Consider Rick Bell is still employed, I'm not sure what she could have said that would have threaten her job. It's not like anyone cares listen to AM radio anyway.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I still think that's grand standing and an excuse to move on to something else. If she does indeed join the Calgary mayor race, I am not sure that statement hurts or helps her case.
    It would hurt her case, IMO. No one wants someone to admit they are too chicken to say something because it's not "politically correct", especially in Alberta. They'll call her a puppet.
    The public want someone who "appears" to speak their mind and not afraid to do so. Or someone who is "for the people", so they say.

... I'm not sure what she could have said that would have threaten her job.
    Pretty much. I agree with what you said that she just wants to move on. She doesn't want to deal with it mentally anymore, which is understandable but she should acknowledge it is her deeming it "unchallengeable" and not play the blame game.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 01-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Is she the one who crossed the floor and that eradicated her party and then she still got left out in the cold by the party she joined?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Is she the one who crossed the floor and that eradicated her party and then she still got left out in the cold by the party she joined?
    The term is “Opportunistic Fool”

fact.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Take the author out of the statement and tell me why you disagree with the validity of it.
    I dont disagree with her stance nor would I argue with anyone who's concerned about freedom of speech or the mob mentality. If people are afraid to speak their mind thats a major problem.

I'm genuinely curious what topics were too sensitive to discuss on radio.

If Danielle's goal is to get back into politics then getting off the radio makes sense. Look how ryan jespersen lost his job recently. He called a city employee a monkey or chimpanzee and he was fired that day.

- - - Updated - - -

She's stated she's not running for mayor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast