Quantcast
Bye WhatsApp - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What next, best messaging app are you downloading?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Signal

20 35.09%
  • Telegram

4 7.02%
  • WeChat (with Xi Jinping)

2 3.51%
  • iMessage (screw Android users)

6 10.53%
  • Viber

0 0%
  • BBM

2 3.51%
  • Whatsapp all the way, I <3 Zuckerberg

20 35.09%
  • Other (FB Messenger, BiP, Zangi, etc)

3 5.26%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye WhatsApp

Default Bye WhatsApp

So where is everyone moving towards for the next messaging app?

Signal has a big outage happening. Too many new subscribers.

People don't usually like to change their messaging apps because getting everyone they know to also change is too much effort. I personally think most people will just continue using WhatsApp because it's the path of least resistance and Facebook probably already has all their information from their FB/Insta accounts haha.

I am not sure if any of this has been third party verified, but WhatsApp tried to address the Privacy concerns:

We can’t see your private messages or hear your calls, and neither can Facebook: Neither WhatsApp nor Facebook can read your messages or hear your calls with your friends, family, and co-workers on WhatsApp. Whatever you share, it stays between you. That’s because your personal messages are protected by end-to-end encryption. We will never weaken this security and we clearly label each chat so you know our commitment.

We don’t keep logs of who everyone is messaging or calling: While traditionally mobile carriers and operators store this information, we believe that keeping these records for two billion users would be both a privacy and security risk and we don’t do it.

We can’t see your shared location and neither can Facebook: When you share your location with someone on WhatsApp, your location is protected by end-to-end encryption, which means no one can see your location except the people you share it with.

We don’t share your contacts with Facebook: When you give us permission, we access only the phone numbers from your address book to make messaging fast and reliable, and we don’t share your contacts lists with the other apps Facebook offers.

Groups remain private: We use group membership to deliver messages and to protect our service from spam and abuse. We don’t share this data with Facebook for ads purposes. Again, these private chats are end-to-end encrypted so we can’t see their content.

You can set your messages to disappear: For additional privacy, you can choose to set your messages to disappear from chats after you send them.

You can download your data: You can download and see what information we have on your account right from within the app.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

WhatsApp was gross before the recent bs. I only ever used it for communication on school projects and it got deleted shrilly after graduating.

iMessage all the way. Poor friends are overrated.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

Mostly imessage. whatsapp for a group chat with some OG high school friends, and occasionally for work depending on what team I'm working with.

No plans to change.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have downloaded signal, but still have some groups on whatapp. probably run both, plus wechat, and the new android group messaging, which works pretty similar to imessage, but only for some android users. so, not really, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have downloaded signal, but still have some groups on whatapp. probably run both, plus wechat, and the new android group messaging, which works pretty similar to imessage, but only for some android users. so, not really, lol.
    Your digital DNA is spread across the world like a rabid teenaged guy.

Funny that whatsapp has halted the new update.
    For sure Zuckerberg is selling your data off and running algos on your chats.
    Friend mentioned co-op liquor store in a chat and then I got ads for it. So you tell me.

Whatsapp can't read chats as they are E2E encrypted. Until someone proves they aren't, i will give them the benefit of the doubt and believe it.

Personally i'm still fine with whatsapp even after these privacy policy changes, but i have signal too in case people start migrating there.

The funny thing is Signal's been down almost all day, likely due to server overload. At some point Signal will need to monetize to keep their servers running, so its only a matter of time before they either sell ads or make it a paid service... i can't see how they would operate otherwise.

My Ride
    4x4

i'm going back to icq

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    i'm going back to icq
    A/S/L?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    i'm going back to icq
    Name:  EEF3D4E5-9589-41F1-9BF8-E597551D5ED1.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  35.5 KB
    I ain’t going back with a noob ‘21 UIN.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i still remember my icq from back in the day 9787801 (i think)

But it got hacked and i lost it years ago.
    Last edited by Thaco; 01-15-2021 at 07:58 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Most of the old school ICQ accounts got nuked years and years ago.

And not sure why people need all sorts of messaging aps... Guess maybe I'm not social enough... I basically use hangouts and text messages.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You guys are old

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had ICQ in 1996 or something. Chatted up all the lizaydies.

Not sure why more people aren't voting for Wechat. Has 1 billion members, or so I've heard. And it's users literally never complain.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Whatsapp can't read chats as they are E2E encrypted. Until someone proves they aren't, i will give them the benefit of the doubt and believe it.

Personally i'm still fine with whatsapp even after these privacy policy changes, but i have signal too in case people start migrating there.

The funny thing is Signal's been down almost all day, likely due to server overload. At some point Signal will need to monetize to keep their servers running, so its only a matter of time before they either sell ads or make it a paid service... i can't see how they would operate otherwise.
    WhatsApp is corrupted. They’re definitely stealing info and running algorithms.

The coop liquor store example is exactly what happens. It’s been happening my main WhatsApp group for about a year now.

Facebook has been selling our info this whole time.

Goldfish cracker ads pop up now because goldfish was mentioned for a kids lunch the other day. You tell me.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's more probable? That Facebook has no plans to monetize the data in WhatsApp messages, or that they do?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have faith that WhatsApp is EtoE encrypted.

End to End from you to Facebook. And end to end from Facebook to who you are texting. They wouldn’t want all that data going to a competitor accidentally lol

I mean seriously. It’s a free app, how else do they monetize the users? Facebook bought it for $20 billion. You think they did that out of charity?

fact.

Everyone has a personal anecdote like the coop liquor or goldfish crackers example, but they are likely coincidences. I think it would have come out a long time ago if they were lying about it, and the consequences are massive if they did.

I’m totally open to changing my mind if there is real proof otherwise but until I see more than anecdotes I still give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think @googe is a security expert. Do you have an opinion on this? Do you think WhatsApp is lying about e2e encryption?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

"We can’t see your private messages or hear your calls, and neither can Facebook: Neither WhatsApp nor Facebook can read your messages or hear your calls with your friends, family, and co-workers on WhatsApp. Whatever you share, it stays between you. That’s because your personal messages are protected by end-to-end encryption. We will never weaken this security and we clearly label each chat so you know our commitment."

They specifically avoid mentioning that 3rd parties dont have this access.

IE. anything you type on your phone, specifically while using the WA app, can/will be sent to a 3rd party, making your side of the encryption irrelevant.

Also, no doubt the encryption has been compromised at some levels - but thats more on the national security level of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What's more probable? That Facebook has no plans to monetize the data in WhatsApp messages, or that they do?
    I'm certain Zuckerberg is operating in a very grey area. Even when people encroach on his personal data collection datasheets, he sues them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast