Quantcast
Internet Setup / Wiring - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Internet Setup / Wiring

My Ride
    G05

Default Internet Setup / Wiring

Ok. so in the process of building a new place.

Tell me what I should plan for to have the best coverage & connectivity for internet, sound system, security etc.

There was another thread about WAP's. So would you just have lots of wiring to the rooms and hook up a switch to the Shaw/Telus modem or is there a better solution to have the most devices hardwired? I'm assuming I should add some WAP's locations for all the devices that I can't hardwire?

Feel free to add anything else you think would be valuable.
    Last edited by s2k_boi; 01-16-2021 at 09:40 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ya want lotsa wirez bro. Wires cheap when building. Minimum 2x cat6 to every location you might out a computer or a tv, and 1 in every other room.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

UniFi is the prosumer favourite, nearly enterprise grade shit for not unaffordable prices.

Actually we use a lot of UniFi in our enterprise network at work. Good shit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If I had an opportunity to build from scratch, here’s the list of things I would do.

Dual Cat6 to every room. Map out where access points would go in the ceiling, cat6 there. Make sure garage has an access point mapped, as cars move to ota updates via WiFi.

For the alarm wire all my doors for sensors. Wire for motion sensor locations.

Wire DC power to all the window sills for powered blinds.

Speakers, every tv area wired for atmos. 7.6.2 for home theater, 5.4.2 for living areas, 5.2.1 for master bedroom. 2 ceiling speakers in showers, 2 for all separate baths, 2 in each room. Separate from anything with atmos.

Might be overkill but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper pre wiring everything now than later. Atmos is a little tricky as speaker positions are dictated by how many speakers you want in total, I’d go for a lower speaker setup in anything other than home theater as the equipment to power them takes a lot of space and more difficult to hide/heat manage. Anything more than 9 channels you’ll need a lot of space to hide the equipment.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ yea this.

Wires it to high hell now - but make SURE they are labelled AND sealed, as I've come back to wires after the various trades have left and I could read sweet fuck all on them. Nothing like retracing again.

Get a proper wall mounted rack, or shelf, for the equipment. MAKE SURE if its a closet, that it has EXHAUST/VENTILATION.
    but
    Shaw/Telus modems should be put in BRIDGE MODE - get your own router and UNIFI WAP (as mentioned). I'm particular to their higher end routers for home use - not quite USG - but something a bit higher end like the Edgerouter 12 for eg.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

For routers, you can go baller and just unifi everything and configure all in 1 place. I have better places to spend my money, so I’m using a $130 asus router with Merlin firmware that has enough power to easily pass through gigabit of traffic, while managing individual devices on the network for VPN to get my US TV.

But those are much later decisions down the road.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    For routers, you can go baller and just unifi everything and configure all in 1 place. I have better places to spend my money, so I’m using a $130 asus router with Merlin firmware that has enough power to easily pass through gigabit of traffic, while managing individual devices on the network for VPN to get my US TV.

But those are much later decisions down the road.
    Big savings going with that Asus
    https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...curity-gateway

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Keep an eye out on Kijiji or ERA. I got a hold of a 24 port Aruba S2500 switch with SFP ports for the sweet 10Gbe connections for like $80

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Haha fair. There are other reasons too, such as unifi’s complexity in managing single device vpn. I believe poe switches the price gap is big as well.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haha fair. There are other reasons too, such as unifi’s complexity in managing single device vpn. I believe poe switches the price gap is big as well.
    They are actually getting way better by stratifying their lineup more. No need to pay for features none of us will ever use.

35 bucks for a 5 port switch, powered by POE or USB c ( I use this in my office) https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/.../usw-flex-mini
    130 bucks for 5 port POE switch ( powered by Poe if your switch can handle the power load)https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...ducts/usw-flex
    260 bucks to go to 16 ports all POE https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...sw-lite-16-poe

We can’t all be @Buster and go with https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...usw-pro-48-poe

Honestly there isn’t a ton of reason NOT to go with a full UniFi setup in 2021, and we should see some good things in their WAP lineup this year.

Been reading some interesting threads on the UDM pro, guys getting dockerrunning on it and building dedicated pihole on it etc. 2020 UDM rollout was a mess I’ll admit but I think the hardware has a ton of unutilized potential.

Anyway that’s my UniFi plug for the day lol
    Last edited by killramos; 01-17-2021 at 10:09 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ya I went with a 26 port poe for $250.

My Ride
    G05

how many wireless AP would be enough for a 2 storey plus basement home?

would changing the your telus/shaw modem to bridge mode make a significant difference? what happens if you connected the poe switch directly to the shaw/telus modem?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

1 AP per floor is a good minimum. Probably plenty for most users unless you have a lot of square footage, say 1000-1200 or less per floor. Outdoors and garage is a whole other can of worms. I have 1AP per floor in 1,400 sqft per level and could really use more. This assumes AP in center of floor which is rarely an option, if you stick it in one. Corner good luck having signal in the other corner.

Bridge mode just allows you to use a third party router, you can go ahead and just hook up a switch to the gateway but don’t expect it to make ice cream from poop, if you have more than a dozen devices on the network the garbage they give you just won’t hold up. If you are going to build out a network don’t skimp out on a new router and use the Shaw/Telus boxes for as little as possible.

fact.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    how many wireless AP would be enough for a 2 storey plus basement home?

would changing the your telus/shaw modem to bridge mode make a significant difference? what happens if you connected the poe switch directly to the shaw/telus modem?
    2 minimun APs in the average house for light use.

The ISP routers are a joke, wifi on top of them is even worse.

You will, in most cases have a noticeable improvement with multiple user devices. Yes, you can get by if you lack cash, but it will always limit the true speed of the connections.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s always hard to future proof, but at least we know WiFi 6 supports 6ghz, and as wireless moves up the spectrum, usable range will continue to drop. I feel like the 1 per floor is no longer a bare minimum as we move higher up the spectrum. I also don’t know what wireless usage and density will look like in the future. Even if you’re not WFH on video calls, maybe there will be a need for bandwidth down the line for mobile devices that equals or exceeds that sort of usage. These 2 factors literally point to a high density AP model.

My Ride
    G05

It’s always hard to future proof, but at least we know WiFi 6 supports 6ghz, and as wireless moves up the spectrum, usable range will continue to drop. I feel like the 1 per floor is no longer a bare minimum as we move higher up the spectrum. I also don’t know what wireless usage and density will look like in the future. Even if you’re not WFH on video calls, maybe there will be a need for bandwidth down the line for mobile devices that equals or exceeds that sort of usage. These 2 factors literally point to a high density AP model.
    I'm finding it hard to decide on what POE switch too. This one seems like a decent deal but it's at 190w. so depending on how many AP's and how my security system eats up the power usage.... Would this be sufficient or should I be investing in something a bit bigger at 380w? I'm open to suggestions on equipment too.
    https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-24-Por...s%2C196&sr=8-5

Guessing this router should be better than my ISP?
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N08LPPP?...agonelinkca-20
    or this one https://www.amazon.ca/Dual-Band-Supe...9&sr=8-45&th=1

Which AP's would you guys recommend?
    Last edited by s2k_boi; 01-17-2021 at 11:35 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That’s the exact switch I have, although I got it a bit cheaper. Anyways 6 APs on it, it’s using 20W.

My Ride

Here is what I would suggest for a 'mid range', setup for router + 2 APs (similar to what I deploy to clients homes and small businesses).

Edge Router 12
    https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Netwo...tronics&sr=1-1

Unifi AP - LR PRO edition (x2)
    https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Netwo...0949364&sr=8-4

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Ya want lotsa wirez bro. Wires cheap when building. Minimum 2x cat6 to every location you might out a computer or a tv, and 1 in every other room.
    True. My parents did a down-to-the-studs reno on their 50's house, and my dad used me for slave labour to pull many thousands of feet. Minimum 1 coax, 2 pairs speaker wire, 2 cat6 to every room (most have more than this) and other applicable locations, like entrances, as well as attached and detached garage. Also wire to all windows for automated blinds, shutters, etc. It was a miserable job.

Name:  wires0.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  69.1 KB

And here's the rats nest/progress pic. Many of these are spares (for now):

Name:  wires1.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  72.5 KB
    Last edited by bjstare; 01-19-2021 at 10:39 AM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Conduit from the basement to the attic in case you want to run more cables of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast