Quantcast
Opinions: VR Tours for Rental Property Listings - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Opinions: VR Tours for Rental Property Listings

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,022
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Opinions: VR Tours for Rental Property Listings

    Questions for Landlords
    1) Would you consider paying for a VR Tour of your property? (Yes/No, and why)
    2) What is a reasonable cost for this service? (Please describe an estimated sqft of your place, as obviously it is more work for more space)
    3) To host these VR tours, there is a subscription cost. So, in passing that down to the customer, how many months would you expect your tour to be active? What is a reasonable cost to continue hosting.

    Question for Prospective Tenants
    1) Do you find added value if there is a VR tour attached to a RentFaster listing? What would you like to see from the examples below?


    Example material:
    1) Youtube video by average Joe walking around with his phone
    2) Professional youtube video done with gimbal etc.
    3) Walkthrough VR

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    are we talking rental only?

    As a buyer, I'd watch one of those walk around videos even a average Joe video would be fine (I honestly didnt think the professional one you posted is any better). But wouldn't care for a VR tour. If the walk around video interests me, It'll encourage me to go see the unit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    CTS-V, Trackhawk
    Posts
    1,151
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    No. A real life tour is free and at that time I can further vet the perspective tenant.
    I like neat cars.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,861
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    what percentage of renters have VR gear? Gotta be lower than the genpop, and that's pretty low already. If I'm a landlord, (and thank allah I'm not) this would have to be dirt cheap, because it doesn't replace any of the other things.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,508
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Renting, or buying, I'd take a floorplan with room dimensions over VR tour 100% of the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,861
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Renting, or buying, I'd take a floorplan with room dimensions over VR tour 100% of the time.
    That would be incredible.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,022
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Well my point is that as a landlord myself, my answers would be:

    1) A VR Tour would be beneficial because:
    • Covid times: I can't just tell all prospective tenants to show up at 11-2 on saturday as open house format
    • Because I'm scheduling time slots, this would save me personal time
    • Avoids tire kickers / no shows if they can see the VR tour and know it's not for them

    2) I think something like this would be in the range of $60-80 for a 2000sqft house
    3) Rentfaster listings go up for 3 months, so I would expect the same. And for continued hosting I would think $10/month?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,861
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Could be a good way to screen tenants too. Only rich folks need apply.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,508
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be a good way to screen tenants too. Only rich folks need apply.
    VR tours don't need VR gear. Even the homeless have smartphones that can see VR tours

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS
    Posts
    410
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    During our home buying search I liked listings that had the click on circles to move around the house, answered a few questions as far as flow or gave angles/better feel for some rooms and connectivity.

    Not sure what the cost on that is compared to VR but for a rental, eh.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,861
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Really? I had no idea.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    a nine minute video to show a 900 sqft box? Jesus. I could see the benefit of 9 minutes if it was narrated, so the buyer had some information they wouldn't normally get, but still maybe 90 seconds tops. I think it's a good idea. but you can do it yourself for a reasonable price. go pro and a gimbal would be good.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,259
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    When you say VR like actually had to be watched with VR gear?

    Seems like targeting a niche of a niche. Probably not much true value in addition to a simple walk through video, at least no value anyone would pay for.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,665
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. A real life tour is free and at that time I can further vet the perspective tenant.
    Would you be spaying or neutering them during this tour?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,022
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Renting, or buying, I'd take a floorplan with room dimensions over VR tour 100% of the time.
    What about the dollhouse floor plan generated by matterport?

    So in this example:
    This house tour, with these floor plans
    Floor1.jpgFloor2.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When you say VR like actually had to be watched with VR gear?

    Seems like targeting a niche of a niche. Probably not much true value in addition to a simple walk through video, at least no value anyone would pay for.
    VR Tour as in can be watched with gear. like this one

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,259
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Something that doesn’t look so terrible would help.

    Is that house gutted?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    X5-35i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    As a landlord I'm in agreement with all the benefits you listed for having a video preview of the place. Our friend who helps us list our place have done it a couple time now with our 2 units and it allowed to pre-screen prospective renters without going through the hassle of in-person viewing, especially with COVID/safety. It also allowed us to show the place better while the existing tenants are still there and usually the place is a mess anyway since they are in the processing of packing and moving out.

    That said, not sure if it's something we would pay for. Our friend literately just take a 90sec video with her phone and that has been sufficient. The renter will eventually want to see the place in-person anyway before signing so that part can't be avoided either way. Our place is also not fancy (up and down suite) and I can't imagine having a better made walkthrough video will get us better results.

    Maybe it's a service for property management companies? to help them distinguish their services or premium rates over their competitions?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,300
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    As a buyer I never looked at the VR tours, I looked at photos, location, and square footage to see if I wanted to view the property and then I went in person. The VR tours still look dramatically different than in-person, and if you're interested in the place you are going to see it in-person regardless so IMO there is no real value add.

    I also do professional real estate photography and have never been asked if I do VR tours, everyone just wants photos in my experience anyway. The biggest hurdle is that most people don't even want to pay for photos, even fewer are going to pay significantly more for a full VR tour. I'm also not a fan of the dollhouse style views, they look so terrible that it's difficult for people to get much out of them. I briefly looked into doing that, but talking to clients none of them wanted it so I didn't bother. Maybe there is more of a market for this stuff in the ultra-expensive homes but that is a pretty small market and you'd be surprised by how many sellers think smartphone photos are good enough on multi-million dollar properties.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    976
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Actual VR? Don't see the appeal, even having a oculus I just wouldnt care to put the effort in making it work. The 3d tours you can pan around with the camera are perfectly sufficient IMO. I know you can run them with your phone and such but then you have to consider if one piece of hardware messes up the aspect ratio it could make the place look wonky

    3d camera panning > video walkthrough > just pictures.
    Nolan

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,300
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actual VR? Don't see the appeal, even having a oculus I just wouldnt care to put the effort in making it work. The 3d tours you can pan around with the camera are perfectly sufficient IMO. I know you can run them with your phone and such but then you have to consider if one piece of hardware messes up the aspect ratio it could make the place look wonky

    3d camera panning > video walkthrough > just pictures.
    I think it's VR in the sense that you can click & drag your way through the home. I can't imagine anyone would pay for a VR tour that required a buyer to put on a VR headset for - most buyers barely have the patience to look at a listing thumbnail haha.

    The biggest issue with the VR tours/walkthroughs in their current form is the garbage quality.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-19-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Lethbridge Town House (Good Rental Property)

    By 2002civic in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 6
    Latest Threads: 07-01-2008, 07:44 AM
  2. Rental property for rent

    By stunta666 in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 04-25-2008, 02:36 PM
  3. Looking for Rental Property in Okanagan

    By The Cosworth in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
  4. Rental Property Question

    By joyridder in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM
  5. online rental listings

    By chimeraxp in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 08-12-2005, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •