Quantcast
Competitive sailing - anyone knowledgeable? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Competitive sailing - anyone knowledgeable?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Competitive sailing - anyone knowledgeable?

So, just doing my usual youtube browsing, and came across some videos. No idea why they were recommended to me, but kinda neat to see!

I had no idea how advanced these boats are! The biggest visual thing for me was the dual and liftable foils on either side. Was super cool to watch how and when they were used, and that they are able to lift the whole boat out of the water in like 50kph, all with winds of like 20kph!

Apparently there is a competition going on right now called America's cup, and a few days of racing have already been completed. Day 3 had the American boat pretty much launch itself out of the water and crack the hull and started taking on water mid race.

I am doing a lot of research on this now, learning more about the boats and how they work. And from what I have seen so far, it is mind blowing!

A video including the boat capcize.

What are some of the coles notes about these boats and races? I really wanna learn!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    *The First*

Sailing is an incredible amount of work but it's amazing to see someone who is really good at it. And, the people who like it, love it with every fiber of their being.
    There was a sailing school that operated in both Victoria (not weird) and Calgary (weird) called Swiftsure Sailing. If they still exist, I believe they practice/teach on the Glenmore Reservoir, here. I assume it's named after the really cool Swiftsure Race that occurs every year in Victoria, which is a neat event that clogs their streets with seamen and Mount Gay Rum. LoL!
    I've gone sailing through the British Virgin Islands but I wouldn't say I know how to sail worth a shit. It was a big boat with others who knew what they were doing. I think it's "easy" to learn the basics on a small Laser Boat, but attempting to learn on a 40' Catamaran in the ocean with wind and tides is not fun.
    If you're compelled by the America's Cup races, you should consider learning or taking a class or whatever. Maybe you're born to sail!

BVI's is best I's though. Holy shit, it's nice there!

My Ride
    4x4

America's cup... Remember the bluenose on your dime? Ask baygirl about it

Glenmore has a boat club, think they used to run some hobie cat races on occasion. One of my fb friends if I recall has played around a bit.

Just remember the boat acronym - break out another thousand.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Oh, I have zero desire for ownership in any way, shape, or form of a sailboat. like ZERO.

I just find these boats absolutely fascinating! understanding how these 75 foot boats can weigh under 7T, and be entirely lifted out of the water by a single articulating spar 3 meters off one side of the boat. I mean, I understand the physics behind it, but it is still amazing! And how these guys can get the boat traveling 3-4 times the wind speed... It's totally captivating for me.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Boat is 10x the money pit of a car. But you can still do it.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

My father used to race small class (Laser) boats. Great sport, and as a kid we were out almost every weekend.
    Still have a old Laser sitting at my dad's property if anyone really wants to get into it. Lasers are great to learn the basics of sailing, and a great way to become a good swimmer. lol