Quantcast
Coal Mining in Alberta - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Coal Mining in Alberta

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Canada needs to educate children that we live in a massive country that holds many valuable resources & commodities with very few people to consume them; thus, we are in the business of selling these goods to other users.
    Then they need to say that again and again. Then they need to make signs that say that. Then they need to make those signs in French, Cantonese, brail, Hindi, 700 versions of Indigenous, Mandarin, Tagalog, Farsi, etc etc.
    All Canadians, everywhere need to understand this.

Then, we need to ensure that the damage to the earth is minimized as much as reasonably practicable based on the value and need for the resource being extracted. Let's ensure that our environmental policies are robust and thoroughly enforced so that our country can proudly stand up and say "we do this properly and are leaders in the responsible extraction of ______ and production of ______".
    Which, for the most part, we already are. I think we just need better PR to help our citizens understand this and help us avoid global smear campaigns.

You have considerably more optimism than I do in the capacity of the average Canadian brain.

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    So not that much better versus historical than when the NDP did their last royalty review? Which did bad because prices sucked. But this time it’s different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You have considerably more optimism than I do in the capacity of the average Canadian brain.

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X days of having no savings" etc etc
    Ftfy
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

"more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc
    I mean, we are already sadly WELL on our way there.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3434447/o...-to-pay-bills/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    How are coal prices doing?

We have no shortage of resources for hundreds of years of development if the demand is there.
    Artificial bump thanks to the biggest user (China) has banned the biggest exporter (Australia). Creating price bump, shortage and diversification of coal export from other countries.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...on-can-it-fill

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...st-coronavirus

All over COVID rehtorics.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-21-2021 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Resource extraction projects do need some regulations and some financial benefit to the ciitzens. But it's absolute insanity to do that kind of review a some kind of twitter/facebook plebiscite for each project.

The Kenney government has ended up going down the path of the Trudeau one, in that they are dealing with these projects based on feelings and whims, and not a clear and transparent process.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Great point. Id rep you if I could

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Colorized photo of current North American regulatory approval processes

Name:  18231394-A6DE-4069-8131-A4DE0785EB54.gif
Views: 470
Size:  133.8 KB
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains, I even consider myself an environmeentalist (before that became a political word) and I work in a resource extraction industry, and I know how those two can sometimees seem to be competing priorities. However, I truly and honestly believe 1) that Canada has the best environmental performance on the planet and 2) that heavy industry is a requirement for the standard of living that we enjoy today.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Best environmental record, but an environmental policy from the 70s had to be scrapped to allow this because it was too restrictive.

My Ride
    Silverado

Didn't the policy ban coal mining? Could they have allowed mining without scrapping it?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Didn't the policy ban coal mining? Could they have allowed mining without scrapping it?
    Did we actually ban coal mining or just coal power generation?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Is there a difference between scrapping a policy it and ignoring a policy to do why the policy prevents?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Is there a difference between scrapping a policy it and ignoring a policy to do why the policy prevents?
    ....wut?

My Ride
    *The First*

The Canadian attitude towards resource extraction is not going to reverse. Canadians have made their decision: being less wealthy is preferable to selling resources. It is why Canadian quality of life will see a slow decline over the next decades. It will be slow enough that it will not be shocking to people, just depressing. It will come in the form of headlines like: "fewer Canadians going on vacation this year", or "wait times lengthening for hip replacements", or "more canadians living within X weeks of having no savings" etc etc
    I'm suggesting that schools start drilling it into the children to enable the show, cultural shift. Kids believe what they are told in school.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Best environmental record, but an environmental policy from the 70s had to be scrapped to allow this because it was too restrictive.
    I won't defend Kenney on any topic.

My Ride
    Silverado

I don't know what you're saying here.
    But if the policy prevented mining where the minable material is and the goal is to mine that material, it's obvious that you need to remove the policy and the year it was written isn't really important.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

The policy banned surface mining in Class 2 areas, so yes to openpit mine at an efficient level they had to remove said policy... that being said, it took 4 years of consultation to install the policy, yet not a second of consultation remove it and then spend tax payer dollars to defend that lack of consultation in court. What stinks about this is the so called Environment minister being the one courting mine companies. How can we possibly expect clear and fair environmental regulatory compliance when the minister is going to personally get involved? It just looks super shady, as is typical with the UCP. I would like to see the tourism dollar comparison to the mines, as the mines seem like a marginal industry when looked at over their lifespan.

I couldn’t find a more hilarious outcome then if the bighorn gets mined and all the OHV crews who fought the park lose access and then get to live downstream of one
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 01-21-2021 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

Name:  coal jobs.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  46.4 KB
    Will operate coal mining equipment for the standard rate.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    The policy banned surface mining in Class 2 areas, so yes to openpit mine at an efficient level they had to remove said policy... that being said, it took 4 years of consultation to install the policy, yet not a second of consultation remove it and then spend tax payer dollars to defend that lack of consultation in court. What stinks about this is the so called Environment minister being the one courting mine companies. How can we possibly expect clear and fair environmental regulatory compliance when the minister is going to personally get involved? It just looks super shady, as is typical with the UCP. I would like to see the tourism dollar comparison to the mines, as the mines seem like a marginal industry when looked at over their lifespan.

I couldn’t find a more hilarious outcome then if the bighorn gets mined and all the OHV crews who fought the park lose access and then get to live downstream of one
    Without having done any research myself, I suspect if you look at tourism vs mining in the location in question (well, anywhere probably), and are expecting the mine to be the one looking marginal, you'll be sorely disappointed.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is there a reason why grassy mountain is talked about now? The project has been in the works for 6+ years. Is this just riding the what I’m going to hate today train or is there more to it?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast