Quantcast
Coal Mining in Alberta - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coal Mining in Alberta

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

And tell me when the last time was that you were out to this beautiful strip of our province. I don't mean the mountains in general, I mean literally the actual place they're going to dig up.
    Spend anytime camping, fishing, hunting or hiking the Ft Road, and you’ve been there
    Name:  77884331-7423-4250-89FC-2B1488382FC3.png
Views: 722
Size:  526.1 KB

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Surface mining in an area with rivers/lakes? No.

U/G mining, yes.

My Ride
    2010 S4

"A lot" of the provinces drinking water? You can't be serious.

And tell me when the last time was that you were out to this beautiful strip of our province. I don't mean the mountains in general, I mean literally the actual place they're going to dig up.
    Well the leases stretch from the Crowdnest to Grand Prarire impacting the old man, Red Deer, and North Saskatchewan river systems that something like 1.8 million Albertans rely on for drinking water.

Spent most of this summer exploring the Forestry Trunk road around Nordegg that is now covered in leases and future mine plans. Haven’t spent as much time down around the Crowsnest since moving to Edmonton but have had some great times camping not far off the mine site down there

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Hard no. I appreciate and support our resource based economy, but having spent considerable time in that specific area, in my view we should be sensitive to the location of development projects. I have 0 faith this can be done in an environmentally sound way, and its likely going to result in the destruction of the water quality of that whole region. Teck is a great example.

Lithium I can certainly back, although I doubt the extraction of that is any more environmentally sound. At least you can spin it in that you're making Teslas...
    Lol... your post is a massive contradiction of itself.

I’ll let you figure out which parts specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Lol... your post is a massive contradiction of itself.

I’ll let you figure out which parts specifically.
    Well there’s always going to be a contradiction in a sense. I certainly would like it if these projects can be done in an environmentally friendly fashion but having had a bunch of clients in this field, I realize that’s not always feasible, and it pays for my lifestyle…

That was just an off the cuff example of where if I was making the decision I would support say a lithium mining operation (generally those deposits are in central Alberta if my understanding is correct) which would have very strong demand moving forward vs. an open pit coal mine in the foothills/mountains that is likely to see decreasing demand and much higher environmental impact.

2c

Well there’s always going to be a contradiction in a sense. I certainly would like it if these projects can be done in an environmentally friendly fashion but having had a bunch of clients in this field, I realize that’s not always feasible, and it pays for my lifestyle…

That was just an off the cuff example of where if I was making the decision I would support say a lithium mining operation (generally those deposits are in central Alberta if my understanding is correct) which would have very strong demand moving forward vs. an open pit coal mine in the foothills/mountains that is likely to see decreasing demand and much higher environmental impact.

2c
    Perhaps you should research the purpose of this specific coal and what it will be used for.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The public perception of the demand for the commodity should never have any bearing on the approval process for any project. Never.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    There aren’t. But Teck has been “working on it” for at least a couple decades. So any day now I’m sure.
    I was doing some reading on saturated rock fill water treatment. Sounds promising, still early for results.

The pass is poor as fuck now. Just across the border there are thriving family communities. A billion dollar investment would be great for the area, and the province.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 01-20-2021 at 09:02 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Lithium I can certainly back, although I doubt the extraction of that is any more environmentally sound. At least you can spin it in that you're making Teslas...
    The coal they are after are for production of high strength steel. Just goes into less sexy part of Tesla.

My Ride
    *The First*

I think Canada needs to educate children that we live in a massive country that holds many valuable resources & commodities with very few people to consume them; thus, we are in the business of selling these goods to other users.
    Then they need to say that again and again. Then they need to make signs that say that. Then they need to make those signs in French, Cantonese, brail, Hindi, 700 versions of Indigenous, Mandarin, Tagalog, Farsi, etc etc.
    All Canadians, everywhere need to understand this.

Then, we need to ensure that the damage to the earth is minimized as much as reasonably practicable based on the value and need for the resource being extracted. Let's ensure that our environmental policies are robust and thoroughly enforced so that our country can proudly stand up and say "we do this properly and are leaders in the responsible extraction of ______ and production of ______".
    Which, for the most part, we already are. I think we just need better PR to help our citizens understand this and help us avoid global smear campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The public perception of the demand for the commodity should never have any bearing on the approval process for any project. Never.
    This is a great point.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I do think the armchair coal mining and reclamation experts on here are very entertaining.

Arbitrary and hypocritical lines in the sand are fun.

BRB need to go drive my steel truck hundreds of km to and from burning fossil fuels the entire time to tear paths through the wilderness for my own entertainment, but resource extraction is bad mmmkay.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-21-2021 at 10:41 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I do think the armchair coal mining and reclamation experts on here are very entertaining.

Arbitrary and hypocritical lines in the sand are fun.

BRB need to go drive my steel truck hundreds of km to and from burning fossil fuels the entire time to tear paths through the wilderness for my own entertainment, but resource extraction is bad mmmkay.
    Unless the resources are for an electric car. Because they have no environmental or carbon footprint.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Unless the resources are for an electric car. Because they have no environmental or carbon footprint.
    Duh. Cause solar panels. Everyone knows that

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    *The First*

Holes in the wall, Bitch! It's not rocket appliances! I drive my car and then I plug it in. The infrastructure to displace the thousands of MW of dead dinosaur power with electricity is already here.
    Holes. In the. Wall.

My Ride
    lobster boat

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I think Canada needs to educate children that we live in a massive country that holds many valuable resources & commodities with very few people to consume them; thus, we are in the business of selling these goods to other users.
    This.

Starting with kids in Ontario and BC preferably.

I grew up on the east coast and I remember most years through Primary-Elementary learning about offshore oil extraction, oil refining, and the nickle/iron ore mines. Not sure how the curriculum in the 90's somehow covered this but I'd be willing to bet it no longer exists.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I'm with whoever said we won't see enough of the profit.

If we are going to let foreign companies tear up our land, we should make it worthwhile. If the the interested companies decide it isn't worth it at that price, there eventually will be someone who does. Even if there never is, we still have the natural beauty to enjoy.

If the oil royalties were bumped up before 2002, the province would have had a lot more money to enjoy, and oil companies would have invested here because it was still extremely profitable at the time. Let's learn from that.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Cause the $ in capital expenditures won’t do anything for the economy at all.

Royalties are such a hilarious thing to get upset about, ‘member last time we did a royalty review and how much extra money that made us?

fact.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Cause the $ in capital expenditures won’t do anything for the economy at all.

Royalties are such a hilarious thing to get upset about, ‘member last time we did a royalty review and how much extra money that made us?
    That was a ridiculous waste of time because oil was already in the shitter. If the royalties were raised before the boom, it would have been beneficial. I'm sure less projects would have been started, but that would just have smoothed out our boom/collapse.

We can also leave some natural resources for our kids to mine too, unless you want them collecting mincome.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

How are coal prices doing?

We have no shortage of resources for hundreds of years of development if the demand is there.

fact.

How are coal prices doing?

We have no shortage of resources for hundreds of years of development if the demand is there.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/coal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast