Quantcast
What's beyond's opinion on basement window security bars these days? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: What's beyond's opinion on basement window security bars these days?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NW
    My Ride
    got knocked the fuck out
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    11

    Default What's beyond's opinion on basement window security bars these days?

    So when I was growing up on the mean streets of northwest calgary, pretty much every home basement window had security bars. These days, security bars seem much less common. I'm building a new house in the inner-city NW, and we have some pretty large windows in the basement on three sides to allow for light, but i'm on the fence as whether I should bar the windows or not.

    We do already have glass break sensors, but those alone won't really prevent someone from smashing through a window, grabbing whatever they can, and taking off before anyone can respond, so the bars do add a measure of security in that they'll more effectively prevent ingress.

    On the other hand, I hate the look of them (both from the inside and out), and since I see them so less frequently, perhaps the feared basement-creeper break-in is not such an issue these days.

    I know it all comes down to personal preference and my own peace of mind, but I'm curious for what Beyond's approach has been: So, on your home: basement windows bars - yay or nay - please validate me!
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,085
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    No
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    5,016
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    No.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford, Acura, Harley
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    No.
    Originally posted by rage2
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    No
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NW
    My Ride
    got knocked the fuck out
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    So for all the Nay's...what do you use to secure your giant basement windows?
    Glass break sensors and we're good? "Beware of Dog" signs? Faith and trust in humanity?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgarian Living in Edmonton
    My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander
    Posts
    6,419
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    No to mine, but yes to my parents home in the dirty SE Penbrooke. But they also had their house broken into while they were on vacation so they installed a bunch of stuff after.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

    Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Guns

    Hardening your home is stupid, that’s what insurance is for.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NW
    My Ride
    got knocked the fuck out
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yeah, that's my thought - a break-in during travel or extended periods away (one can dream that we're able to do this again sometime in the future). The 'hood is prowled by people pretty much daily anyway, so absences may eventually be noticed and again, a glass break sensor doesn't prevent opportunistic entry.
    Insurance doesn't address my sense of security being raped and violated, or dumb pets escaping through a broken window either.

    Edit; don't really think strappin' up is an option for me, either. What am I, a farmer?
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,249
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    After a few hundred people in the USA got burned alive in house fires during the 70s/80s because they couldn't exit the house - we got all kinds of new egress rules...

    You may want to read:
    https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...guidelines.pdf

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that's my thought - a break-in during travel or extended periods away (one can dream that we're able to do this again sometime in the future). The 'hood is prowled by people pretty much daily anyway, so absences may eventually be noticed and again, a glass break sensor doesn't prevent opportunistic entry.
    Insurance doesn't address my sense of security being raped and violated, or dumb pets escaping through a broken window either.

    Edit; don't really think strappin' up is an option for me, either. What am I, a farmer?
    My good friends Smith and Wesson are very helpful in this regard.

    Seriously though, no amount of hardening is going to stop someone who is determined to get inside. Once they are inside, if you are there and they are the kind of people to “rape and violate” you don’t really have much choice but to do something about it or become a victim.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-21-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NW
    My Ride
    got knocked the fuck out
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My good friends Smith and Wesson are very helpful in this regard.
    Wanna be friends? I offer your choice of gluten-free beers or ciders.
    Re: edit; of course, nothing is impossible and if someone really wants in you can't stop them with hardening or deterrents, I totally get that. Most thefts & break-ins either opportunistic or targeted and the point of deterrents are to make it less easy to access; just like locking your car: if someone wants in, they'll still break in, but you lock your doors to limit the opportunistic prowlings.
    Last edited by XylathaneGTR; 01-21-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wanna be friends? I offer your choice of gluten-free beers or ciders.
    Sure. I could always use more friends after Trudeau sent my Bro’s Heckler and Koch to jail...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,583
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I think the point about "hardening your home" being useless is pretty accurate. your security lies in luck, and not being the easiest target on your street. If you travel, you need smart bulbs on programs, and someone checking on your house regularly.

    Bars on basement windows don't help when the perps enter through your attached garage, or an entry door, which I think are both more common.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,056
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Yea it’s really not that much more difficult to come in through the front door than a basement window.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,737
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guns

    Hardening your home is stupid, that’s what insurance is for.
    I see your point, but also I don't agree.

    You don't need to make it into a fort but some deterrents are needed, because even if we are covered financially, we don't want the hassles of dealing with fixing stuff and people rummaging your personal space.

    It's kind of like when your car gets broken into. Sure it may be covered by insurance, but it still sucks ass and you wish it didn't happen.

    With that said, hard no on the security bars. Ugly.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,583
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Doors are good, less suspicious. Attached garages are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,162
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Locks only keep out the honest people. Why smash a window and climb in through broken glass when hip checking/pry barring a door is easier and less overall noticeable sound projecting to the neighbours? Bars on windows don't really do shit unless you like leaving those windows open in summer.
    Bob Blakeborough

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NW
    My Ride
    got knocked the fuck out
    Posts
    1,004
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    your security lies in luck, and not being the easiest target on your street.
    This is the context for which we're discussing the window bars; a house with bars is more difficult than a house without.
    Garage would also be barred, and the doors have rabbited jambs and reinforced strikeplates.


    Appreciate the opinions. For what it's worth, my folks' house has giant ass basement windows (unbarred) too and in 20 years they've never been touched.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd
    Posts
    441
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Dog is a good deterant. Most dogs will hear something rattling there and bolt right down to see what's going on.
    I seriously doubt anyone would continue to climb in with one of these barking

    Good for keeping voles out of your yard too.

    https://images.huffingtonpost.com/20...nehp-thumb.jpg
    Last edited by Asian_defender; 01-21-2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Pictures arent working for me for some reason so link to picture of dog instead

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Window security bars

    By G-ZUS in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM
  2. Replies: 44
    Latest Threads: 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
  3. WTT: 2012 SWP STi Trunk w Wing + Tension Bars for SWP Wingless Trunk + Tension bars

    By CLiVE in forum Automotive Parts [Aero/Styling/Interior]
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM
  4. FS: "MR. Goodbar" basement window security bar.

    By TomcoPDR in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
  5. Strut bars and anti-roll bars

    By Ferio_vti in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 07-17-2002, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •