Quantcast
Rogers vs Telus in AB/BC coverage - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Rogers vs Telus in AB/BC coverage

My Ride
    EG Si Hatch

Default Rogers vs Telus in AB/BC coverage

Hello folks, it has been literally forever since I last visited Beyond and I thought this would be a great place to ask on everyones opinions on Rogers vs. Telus for wireless service.

Currently running Telus 5G on iPhone 12 Pro. Service seems decent though I'd argue that unless you're directly beside a 5G tower that you're likely only ever going to experience LTE speeds for the most part. I'm new to the 5G wireless world but the experience at least for my uses seems seamless and not any better than LTE with my previous iphone 8. I bought an iPhone 12 with the hope of taking advantage of 5G service when it becomes more mainstream (if it hasn't been already).

I have an offer from Rogers that I'm interested in signing up for but they don't offer 5G but they offer MORE data and costs less per month. While it sucks they don't have 5G for this particular plan I am wanting that I'm not so sure if 5G is a real selling point for the typical mobile user.

My question is:
    1. How reliable is Rogers relative to Telus? Do you guys find Rogers is lacking in coverage in comparison to the big T? Do you often get dead spots or drop calls or signal breakup? I sometimes get that with Telus which is odd since they're touted as having some of the best coverage around.
    2. How is customer service between the 2? I've heard horror stories from both ends but I rarely, if ever call into the customer care center for anything anyways.
    3. Are network speeds comparable?

I mainly hang in Calgary/Edmonton and do several trips by car to Vancouver and Vancouver Island. I should also add that I do hang in K-country (known to not have much cell service from any provider) and I ski at all the ski hills along the BC/Alberta borders.

I do not need any hardware upgrades since I purchased my iPhone in November.

Interested in hearing your thought on whether or not I should make the switch.

Thanks in advance,

My Ride
    This and that.

If it's the sweet plan that I think you are referring to then blindy make the switch. The issues with Rogers compared to Telus aren't that huge of a deal (at least to me) to pass on a deal like that. I recently made the switch and there's no doubt Telus has a stronger network overall but it's not that big of an issue so I rather take the good deal.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Both networks are excellent anywhere on pavement, or at least share roughly the same dead spots. There's very few people who will notice the few rural locations where Telus has more coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I switched from Rogers to Telus a few years ago and I am sooooo happy to be back. I travel a LOT and the only place I've had better service with Rogers is in downtown Toronto.

Rogers has 5G, but they make you pay extra every month for access to it from what I understand now.

Don’t Rogers/Telus have a roaming agreement anyways? So if you are with Rogers but in an area with only Telus towers, it will roam on Telus and vice versa? Not sure if you get limited/shittier service if you roam i.e. they only give you phone/txt but no data, or maybe just 3G instead of LTE

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Telus works for me in the most important location: the work shitter. Rogers network wouldn't work in there for some reason.
    For that reason, Telus network is best.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Telus works for me in the most important location: the work shitter. Rogers network wouldn't work in there for some reason.
    For that reason, Telus network is best.
    That's the real deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Overall Telus has better coverage in Alberta.

Telus and Bell share 100% towers and coverage is exactly the same.

There are roaming agreements with Rogers and Vise versa but if you have a weak signal from Rogers it will not roam onto Telus.

I have been in the same car with Rogers and Telus phones and there are spots that Rogers worked and Telus did not and again the reversed, but overall Telus coverage will be better...

If remote Alberta is your life... Telus and bell will be better.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by redline View Post

If remote Alberta is your life... Telus and bell will be better.
    Facts.