Quantcast
Home Build Idea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Build Idea

Default Home Build Idea

I'm looking at a property that is in NW but the house on it is a dump so i'm thinking of tearing it down and building new. I've been quoted between $130 to $160 per sq foot for a bungalow. Now I'm going to have my mother move in and I'd like to put her in a secondary suite. My options are:

1. Build a suite on top of the detached garage

2. Add some sort of secondary suite as a half story or similar

3. Stick with doing a walk up and give her the basement

Anyone know if these prices per sq ft are reasonable and if anyone has built a secondary suite before? Yes i'm aware of the zoning requirements, permits etc.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Definitely watching this thread for the loft above the garage part.

These people did a really cool garage by my old place in crescent, can’t find the article with interior pics anymore

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/122...11859?hl=en-GB

Found it:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&client=safari
    Last edited by finboy; 01-19-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Nothing valuable to add but following - curious to know this as well.

Saw a house recently that has a secondary legal suite on the top floor : https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...mount-pleasant

I was thinking why isn't this more common. If we were to move in with our parents (which we might down the road) , I would rather they stay in a suite like that vs a basement suite.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Loft above garage is awesome, but wasn't there some zoning issue with that? Didn't we have a thread on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Canyonero

160 a square isn't realistic; or at the very least, it's extremely optimistic and would result in a very bargain basement build. Lumber prices increased significantly as a result of COVID-19 and haven't really normalized yet. I would budget $220 a square and hope to land closer to $180-200 a square. Keep in mind those costs won't include appliances, architectural design, servicing, demolition costs, permits, a garage, etc.

It's very easy to end up in the mid-to-high $2xx a square range if you include all of the above.

I would also add that on a per-square-foot basis, bungalows are probably the most expensive style of home to build, simply because you're buying more roofing per square, cribbing and pouring more foundation per square, and the main floor carries a lot of the most expensive furnishings (i.e. kitchen, other millwork, often hardware etc). Second floors are cheap on a square foot basis save for items like bathrooms.

Garage you should plan for $70-80 a square, basement, probably $40/square, more if you want to suite it and furnish something like a bar or kitchenette.
    Last edited by prae; 01-19-2021 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

When you guys talk price per sqf, do you mean above ground or total living?

For example, if we are talking 1500sqf bungalow, that's 3000sqf living space including a developed basement. Do you mean ~$200sqf X 1500sqf or 3000sqf?

Edit: never mind. Just saw your comment on $40/sqf for basement, so I assume that estimate is for A.G.
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 01-19-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Definitely watching this thread for the loft above the garage part.

These people did a really cool garage by my old place in crescent, can’t find the article with interior pics anymore

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/122...11859?hl=en-GB

Found it:
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&client=safari
    this is a cool idea, i imagine it would be the most costly choice out of all of them but creates the needed seperation.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I want to do this one day hopefully. Was bored and drew up what I'd want for a garage suite.

1 bed + den, 1.5 bath, 37 feet wide x 35 feet deep. So would fit on a 45' lot about a hair over 1,000 sq feet (No idea if that's too big to be allowed). Oversized double + oversized single garage separated + main floor utility room and landing. Second floor balcony for a bbq and stairs to let the dog in the back yard.

(Before people start nit-picking, let me make it clear I have 0 design knowledge and this was just bored napkin drawings to waste some time)

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I've been quoted between $130 to $160 per sq foot for a bungalow.

*deep breath*

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I'm looking at a property that is in NW but the house on it is a dump so i'm thinking of tearing it down and building new. I've been quoted between $130 to $160 per sq foot for a bungalow. Now I'm going to have my mother move in and I'd like to put her in a secondary suite. My options are:

1. Build a suite on top of the detached garage

2. Add some sort of secondary suite as a half story or similar

3. Stick with doing a walk up and give her the basement

Anyone know if these prices per sq ft are reasonable and if anyone has built a secondary suite before? Yes i'm aware of the zoning requirements, permits etc.
    The only thing I would be thinking about is mom's physical condition if this is a long term thing and she is/will be elderly. Main level and no stairs might be a priority to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

*deep breath*

these were the quotes that I got from 2 different builders today. Sounds like typically its around $200?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    The only thing I would be thinking about is mom's physical condition if this is a long term thing and she is/will be elderly. Main level and no stairs might be a priority to consider.
    Good point, I did think of making sure a stair case has enough size to accommodate one of those chairs if need be in the future

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've got nothing to add. Just joining in cuz its a jabjab thread so should be entertaining
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

typical 2 story is $200-220sq
    bungalow is typically $300sq- like mentioned above, they cost more due to a larger footprint and roof

This is with builders grade standard finishes, depending on what you want the price increases. I personally have build dozens of legal suites in all different configurations, that price can vary drastically and the new fire code makes them a pain in the ass

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

The newer-ish Currie Barracks homes have suites above the garages if you want to Google map it, and have a look.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Which builders are giving you that price? PM me. I’m actually interested.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    The newer-ish Currie Barracks homes have suites above the garages if you want to Google map it, and have a look.
    I am in that area and they have tons of suites in the move up homes they still offer them in the new area the builder that does it is a nightmare.

those quotes seem too low, is it structured as a cost plus build. I would make sure you find some clients who have used them before and not the ones they recommend you talk to. I work for a custom home builder and the bungalow we are thinking of building was $300sqf before any major upgrades it did include, Hardwood floors, granite, customer rain showers, etc etc
    Last edited by gyromonkey; 01-20-2021 at 08:09 AM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Our builder and a few others were spitballing numbers in the $150-$180/sq ft range when we were in the preliminary stages of scoping out a build. We were presented with an estimate in the $205/sq ft range based on architectural plans drawn up.

When all was said and done, without a lot of upgrades we were at $270/sq ft incl GST for our two storey (this is total cost divided by above ground sq ft). This included a ton of savings by selling the existing bungalow, no asbestos remediation, building on existing foundation.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I don't know about the building cost but I have a secondary suite above garage and its awesome.
    I do run AirBnb most of the time but when my MIL or other relatives visit Calgary I can let them stay in the unit. Privacy is the best part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by muse017 View Post
    I don't know about the building cost but I have a secondary suite above garage and its awesome.
    I do run AirBnb most of the time but when my MIL or other relatives visit Calgary I can let them stay in the unit. Privacy is the best part of it.
    do you mind posting some pictures of how it looks inside and out? I really like this idea

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Secondary suite for Airbnb seems like a nice plan. Very much like.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast