Quantcast
WWBD (What Would Beyond Do?) - Garage Sizing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Which garage width would you pick?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 31'

20 83.33%
  • 26'

4 16.67%
  • something else / just the results

0 0%

Thread: WWBD (What Would Beyond Do?) - Garage Sizing

My Ride
    Canyonero

Default WWBD (What Would Beyond Do?) - Garage Sizing

Thanks so much to all who chimed in with experiences and thoughtful input on my garage heating thread. Much appreciated!

I'm thinking through garage sizing at the moment and I know that the general wisdom is "as big as you possibly can" but I'm debating between two options.

I've got roughly 38' feet of lot width, meaning after required 0.6m setback, there's about 31-32' of garage width possible.

Option 1: build 31' wide, job done, right?

Bear in mind- the house I'm planning will also likely only leave the minimum required setback on either side, implying a walkway that's at best 4' wide for access (likely less if there's any mechanical venting, etc). That's fine for people but limiting if you want to bring a machine in (e.g. bobcat for landscaping or whatever).

The alternative: 26' wide "oversized double" with something like an 18'x8' door. This way I could have a 10' side yard giving me the optionality of a third parking place, or potentially somewhere to stash my trailer.

I don't really see myself as a trailer in the backyard person, and I'm not sure that 10' would really provide a very comfortable width to back in a trailer from a narrow lane.

WWBD?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I would rather have a deep shop than a wide shop. My 2 car shop right now barely fits my crew cab with a 6ft box.

Give me a 28 deep garage and I will be happy

My Ride
    Canyonero

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would rather have a deep shop than a wide shop. My 2 car shop right now barely fits my crew cab with a 6ft box.

Give me a 28 deep garage and I will be happy
    This mirrors the feedback @Tik-Tok gave in my other thread too. Interesting. I value my backyard space and it's a limited commodity so I think I'm pushing the wife as far as I can at 24' deep. Maybe I could sneak another foot or two in. Might also try and stagger one half to accommodate a workbench or dedicated storage area. I wonder if I do that if the other portion of the yard not occupied by garage just becomes dead space though. Maybe a planter bed, although it would end up really shaded.
    Last edited by prae; 01-27-2021 at 05:54 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Man, garages are the hard part. My buddy just built a house with an underground garage. That shit is dope.

Either you have an ugly front elevation with ugly garage doors, or you give up your backyard.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Our lot is 40’ wide. We decided to build just a 24’ width garage to leave us with 16’ of yard space. I have 2 little kids so that’s important for us. I did however put a concrete pad on the remaining 16’ feet and put an 8’ gate so that i can use it as an extra parking spot if needed or use it as a “wash bay” in the summer.

I have an 18x8 garage door but its offset to one side so that i can park my motorcycle and have a work bench on one side. We have a van and a car and we have more than enough space to park both cars and still have space on either sides.

Like others suggested, i would definitely go deeper if you can.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    The alternative: 26' wide "oversized double" with something like an 18'x8' door. This way I could have a 10' side yard giving me the optionality of a third parking place, or potentially somewhere to stash my trailer.

I don't really see myself as a trailer in the backyard person, and I'm not sure that 10' would really provide a very comfortable width to back in a trailer from a narrow lane.

WWBD?
    Aside from my 33' wide garage, I have 10' wide RV parking beside it (humble brag, 8800 sq.ft property) and I put my 25' trailer in there. It's really not that bad to back it in if you're good with a wheel, but if you aren't, a front mount hitch does fucking wonders. My alley is also narrow, but with a front hitch, I could probably put a 33' trailer in there without a problem.

If you do decide to go this route, make sure the RV space is on the right side of the garage (when facing the house from the alley). Mine is on the left, and it's a huge pain to get in and out because the side the trailer door is on, is right against the fence. I have just barely enough room to open the door 1/2 way and squeeze in, but can't really load up like that. If the space is on the other side of the garage, your trailer door will open to under the garage eaves, and you'll have plenty of space.

Edit: Also, I would do two doors on a double instead of one large one. Personal preference of course, but I think it looks nicer, and you save a tiny bit of energy each time the door opens, from the opener not needing excessive hp and less heat loss.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 01-27-2021 at 07:00 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Definitely go deep, I went 28’ deep and it’s so nice. With my truck in the garage there is still a ton of room infront. Working on my car I can pull the motor and have room to move even with my work bench and tool box on the front wall. It’s awesome.

Edit: also big door is great! I went 18x8, but run your trusses perpendicular to the door so it doesn’t flex. Mine flexes with the cold and the top gap opens up haha so annoying. It could just be the door moving cause it’s so big. Don’t know, just a thought.
    Last edited by JfuckinC; 01-27-2021 at 07:15 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

+1 for an offset door to one side if double. If you build a triple make the third bay deep and the other two don’t matter as much.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    I value my backyard space and it's a limited commodity so I think I'm pushing the wife as far as I can at 24' deep. Maybe I could sneak another foot or two in.
    Think you answered your own question here. If you value the yard space go with the oversize double and allow yourself a side yard.
    Garage will only ever be a garage, but the side yard sounds like it gives you flexibility for multiple uses.

In my case I was not a yard person at the time, so pushed the whole house back to fit a 33' x 36' triple. Now with kids and less cars more flexible / yard space may have been better...
    Last edited by CLiVE; 01-27-2021 at 07:53 PM.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

For me, either width would be workable. Mine is ~23' wide and that's enough if you have a double door (unfortunately I have twin single doors so my car is never centered in the garage when working on it). I would really like another 2' of depth (21' deep currently) and I can only jack up from the front/rear end of the car on the side without the work bench, and I have to angle it because I have stairs. 2' more would solve than problem. I think 26'x26' is a great size, 24'x26' is still really good and 24'x24' is good enough for 95% of people.

What kind of poll is this?? I mean come on... The answer is always going to be "As big as possible"! Fuck I wish I could have a 800 square foot house with a 3000sf garage.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Definitely go as deep as possible if you ever plan on having a pickup truck. I want a 2500hd crew but at 19.9' long it only leaves like 2 inch clearance to the overhead door. Even having 1-2 extra feet would solve that problem. Also, if its deep then you can fit a workbench or toolbox along the back wall etc if your vehicle isnt excessively long. Basically you want to be able to go full deep not just the tip.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!