Quantcast
Your work situation - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Are you working from home or office?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home

121 62.69%
  • Office

43 22.28%
  • Travelling

7 3.63%
  • All of the above

22 11.40%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Your work situation

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think spikers had an approach with a light outside the door so the family knew he was do not disturb. Right now closing the door works, but once toddler spawn can open the door its going to be different. Maybe a lock or the light.. but shes also in daycare full time, so its really only after 4 or before 8 its an issue.

Looks like wfh is my new reality as we are closing the space where my office is. Only hotel space at alternate locations.
    Sort of, no light, just closed door. If they need me they can send me a message or knock on the door. They know that they can't just enter my office if it is closed. Most of the time when they knock they can just come in, but there are times when I am in video calls with various VPs and our CEO that would be bad timing should one of them just walk into frame.

Having said that, all of our leadership team has gotten the message out that it's fine if it happens, they know the current situation is less than ideal. I was giving a report to my VP and my dog decided he wanted attention and jumped up beside me to get pets. Of course everyone saw him and got excited, even my VP. I then had to take 2-3 mins to tell everyone about him, how old he was, what breed, etc, etc. VP offered to send me a GC to get the "good boy" a treat lol
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

WFH 100%, and likely until September or when everyone is vaccinated. Not missing the travel, but I do miss it not taking forever to get a simple answer that used to be a short stroll or roll your chair 10 feet for. Now it's send a teams message or schedule a call.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I'm going to be transitioning probably 50/50 time in the shop building stuff and half time working on teams
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

WFH and never going back! Wish I did this 10 years ago...

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    WFH and never going back! Wish I did this 10 years ago...
    Oh rly? Do you just have the shop crew manning the fort while you pull the strings from the middle of the bush in central AB?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Oh rly? Do you just have the shop crew manning the fort while you pull the strings from the middle of the bush in central AB?
    Fuck yeah man.. Kenny my business partner has assumed the management of the store and I am running the business from home. It is great! I am getting more stuff done now on the back end of things and working on new stuff that I never had time for when I was sitting on the counter all the time, plus I can handle all the e-mail correspondence and forum activities which anyone who used to try and get hold of me can confirm I was impossible to reach. It actually has helped immensely!

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Fuck yeah man.. Kenny my business partner has assumed the management of the store and I am running the business from home. It is great! I am getting more stuff done now on the back end of things and working on new stuff that I never had time for when I was sitting on the counter all the time, plus I can handle all the e-mail correspondence and forum activities which anyone who used to try and get hold of me can confirm I was impossible to reach. It actually has helped immensely!
    Your wheel visualizer is probably the best I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Your wheel visualizer is probably the best I’ve seen.
    Thanks I appreciate that... I can't take claim for it as it is subscription based but those things are impossible for a small company like mine to build and maintain so we use what we can and that one seems too do a decent enough job.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/05...r-office-work/

Gonna be an entertaining year. Everyone saying “woo REOPENING” *wait, what do you mean we need to go back to work*

Hilarious. People actually thought they would be able to do this forever? At their existing compensation?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

Gonna be an entertaining year. Everyone saying “woo REOPENING” *wait, what do you mean we need to go back to work*

Hilarious. People actually thought they would be able to do this forever? At their existing compensation?
    you know that people who work for apple are a bunch of whiny bitches, right? (Well, the one that aren't attempting suicide.)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/12/2...-investigation

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/20/2...etter-tim-cook

They also can't build an SMS app that works, but that's a different topic.

My Ride
    *The First*

^The only one who knew how to get the SMS thing right jumped out of that building before the suicide nets were installed...

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I know. It’s hilarious, I seem to be having the same conversations with people I know.

Sure take a day once a week here and there, but seriously. Get back to work. With actual humans.

Just being at home puts you in a compromise for promotions. It’s all politics and visuals.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    you know that people who work for apple are a bunch of whiny bitches, right? (Well, the one that aren't attempting suicide.)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/12/2...-investigation

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/20/2...etter-tim-cook

They also can't build an SMS app that works, but that's a different topic.
    Apple would be a terrible place to work. Them or near any “tech” giant. I don’t really care what they would pay me ( and from what I understand the pay is shit ).

Just an example though of the upcoming whining from all over the place, people want to be able to work from home and do nothing but also fly to cancun and hang out at the mall.

People who refuse to go back to working from the office would make a great litmus test for the next corporate cull.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My place is moving to a flex schedule, so probably like 1-2 days in the office per week. You can still choose to be in the office full time though. Those on the flex will probably have hoteling desks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

All "tech" companies are really just modern day slavery. It's pretty wild how reliant they are on unpaid overtime for their top level north americans and chinese slave labor for any manufacturing. Working in a coal mine sounds preferable.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    My place is moving to a flex schedule, so probably like 1-2 days in the office per week. You can still choose to be in the office full time though. Those on the flex will probably have hoteling desks.
    That’s interesting. I would have thought 1-2 days at home, not the opposite.
    @killramos hit the nail on the head. WFH for the same pay isn’t acceptable.

Just before and after care could be cut down for a couple kiddos and there’s another $1200 clear a month.

That’s a sweet raise.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

If productivity isn’t impacted, why should they get paid any less? It’s gotta be cheaper for companies in terms of office space too.

Personally I think it should be case by case. People that slack off or aren’t productive at home, you fire them or force them back into the office. People that still perform can stay working from home if that’s what they want.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you exclusively work from home you should be ok with accepting the same pay as someone in India.

Location is a huge part of comp decisions. If you have decided to become location agnostic and refuse to come in to the office you are now up competing against the lowest bidder for your position, usually that means India.

That’s a reality most people don’t want to acknowledge.

fact.

There isn't much difference driving to a job that places you in a cubicle compared to WFH.

20 years ago I could do data entry job from home. BTW: If you give an opinion poll from 1 to 10 for farmers in Alberta with 1 being agree and 10 being disagree: You will find that 95% of the responses will be either 1 or 10 to 95% of the questions.

Do or do not, that is the farmer way.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-05-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Pay vs value is a really uncomfortable discussion for most workers, and managers are even more frightened of it, lol.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast