Quantcast
Staffing Agencies - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Staffing Agencies

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Staffing Agencies

Have an opportunity coming up but have to go through a Staffing Agency to do it. Curious if anyone knows what their typical cut is, whether it's fixed or a percentage of my requested salary/hourly rate.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have an opportunity coming up but have to go through a Staffing Agency to do it. Curious if anyone knows what their typical cut is, whether it's fixed or a percentage of my requested salary/hourly rate.
    Depends some put you on contract but others expect you to have your own business and you charge them the time.

This is the key to ask.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

The answer is "both". Depends on the agency. Some take an override on your hourly, others take a fixed payout.

My Ride
    *The First*

It's very often highly unfavorable and you sign in blood that your stuck with them for YEARS.
    25% would not be uncommon but it depends a lot on the industry and the role.
    In the age of information and LinkedIn, I see so much less need for pimps. The next job I work on I'm planning on middling out two of the pimps I'm currently stuck using to get labour.

Don't think the years thing is true - pretty sure you can go find another job and quit.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It's very often highly unfavorable and you sign in blood that your stuck with them for YEARS.
    25% would not be uncommon but it depends a lot on the industry and the role.
    In the age of information and LinkedIn, I see so much less need for pimps. The next job I work on I'm planning on middling out two of the pimps I'm currently stuck using to get labour.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Lets just say I know what some others of the same...caliber got offered directly through the company as their status allowed them to be easy hires for HR -- We all got notified we were getting contracts at the same time.

The company wants to hire me but through a staffing agency to make their life easier since my status is a little different than the others. Like I said, I know what the others got offered and this staffing agency came back saying the contracts department offered me -40% of what I know the others got.

So I'm curious if it's actually the contracts department low-balling me or the agency is saying this and taking a cut without notifying me.
    Last edited by msommers; 02-07-2019 at 02:52 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by gqmw View Post
    Don't think the years thing is true - pretty sure you can go find another job and quit.
    Sorry - what I mean is you can't go work for the employer that THEY found for you within a prolonged period.

My Ride
    Silverado

Lets just say I know what some others of the same...caliber got offered directly through the company as their status allowed them to be easy hires for HR -- We all got notified we were getting contracts at the same time.

The company wants to hire me but through a staffing agency to make their life easier since my status is a little different than the others. Like I said, I know what the others got offered and this staffing agency came back saying the contracts department offered me -40% of what I know the others got.

So I'm curious if it's actually the contracts department low-balling me or the agency is saying this and taking a cut without notifying me.
    My guess is both parties are trying to take a cut. But you know what the rate could be, so sounds like the counter offer is all ready

Not sure how it works on the white collar end of things but I have a helper who is currently working through a staffing agency as well and he's getting $16/hr and they're charging $34 which I think is disgusting but oh well people pay it

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any update on this role?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Nothing officially signed yet but from what I'm hearing, the contracts department and/or the staffing agency is being told my rate and there is no negotiating.

I've also asked the staffing agency about fees and its their policy not to talk about it - rather they're saying it has no bearing on my rate (lulz). Asked around from others who have used various agencies and basically have been told "good f*cking luck" when discussing their fees.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had more experience recently with staffing agencies.

I'm looking at a reasonably good opportunity to semi-move to a new industry but it's through a staffing agency and so far the recruiter has been a real Bitch to deal with. The company it would be for its a huge global name and it would be excellent to get in with them and great experience but being a T4'ed employee of the staffing agency with no benefits of any sorts is a huge turn off. I asked about being an independent contractor because I'm fully set up that way but was told they wouldn't even bring my name forward unless I agreed to an employee position through them. This is a professional job that I was head hunted for but not sure if the potential to "maybe get brought on as an employee after the year contract" is worth it for the bad taste I'm getting with this "service". Not to even mention that a straight employee wage with no further compensation package is no where near contractor billable rates.

What are beyonds thoughts?
    Last edited by schurchill39; 09-17-2021 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had more experience recently with staffing agencies.

I'm looking at a reasonably good opportunity to semi-move to a new industry but it's through a staffing agency and so far the recruiter has been a real Bitch to deal with. The company it would be for its a huge global name and it would be excellent to get in with them and great experience but being a T4'ed employee of the staffing agency with no benefits of any sorts is a huge turn off. I asked about being an independent contractor because I'm fully set up that way but was told they wouldn't even bring my name forward unless I agreed to an employee position through them. This is a professional job that I was head hunted for but not sure if the potential to "maybe get brought on a an employee after the year contract" is worth it for the bad taste I'm getting with this "service". Not to even mention that a straight employee wage with no further compensation package is no where near contractor billable rates.

What are beyonds thoughts?
    I've been told that they are a disaster to deal with and that you are their indentured slave for an unreasonable length of time.
    That really surprised me because I didn't think it sounded that bad. I have zero personal experience with it though.

Is it with a mining engineering company? It seems mining is booming enough to gamble on O&G folks coming in.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Who headhunted you? The staffing agency?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I've been told that they are a disaster to deal with and that you are their indentured slave for an unreasonable length of time.
    That really surprised me because I didn't think it sounded that bad. I have zero personal experience with it though.

Is it with a mining engineering company? It seems mining is booming enough to gamble on O&G folks coming in.
    Its for a large O&G company but in an environmental capacity.

Who headhunted you? The staffing agency?
    The staffing agency found me given a few thing I have listed on my Linked-In - mainly being bilingual. I've had companies pass my information along to their recruiter before to reach out to me but that was not the case here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Silverado

from what I know, it's basically impossible for the operator to hire you after you work there through an agency. Needs to be a significant cool off period. They would be charging you at at healthy rate.. name your price and see if they bite.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    from what I know, it's basically impossible for the operator to hire you after you work there through an agency. Needs to be a significant cool off period. They would be charging you at at healthy rate.. name your price and see if they bite.
    This is definitely true!
    I couldn't sleep at night knowing someone was middling me out of so much money.

*Not saying "don't do it" just saying YMMV