Quantcast
USA healthcare is weird and expensive. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: USA healthcare is weird and expensive.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default USA healthcare is weird and expensive.

Further to the conversation in the travel thread about snowbirds. More fun stuff from USA healthcare in a clickbaity article :
    Name:  Screenshot_20210204-120601.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  34.4 KB
    https://jalopnik.com/injured-in-a-cr...ura-1846196435
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

If the commenters to be believed, hospitals pulling this are on their last leg due to a stressful year thanks to COVID.

My Ride
    Silverado

ahhh jalopnik. same place that said in the trx review that the trucks emissions were too high.

My Ride
    *The First*

I've been to an ER in Las Vegas due to a mysterious, severe allergic reaction. Treatment consisted of zero care until credit card is produced & swiped with a large pre-auth, waiting for fucking ever and eventually getting an injection of benadryl + Pepcid administered in a way that's forbidden in Canada. No x-rays, scans, blood testing or anything else.
    The bill was over $7k USD (may need to dig up records as I can't recall if it was even more than that).

Insurance covered everything except the cab back to the hotel (covered the one there, though... LoL!) but the hospital will still mail you collection agent, scary, threatening bullshit about your unpaid bill, even though your insurance company is supposed to be dealing with everything.

I don't want to live there.
    Oh and while I was in the waiting room, a lower income black female had obvious signs of severe kidney disease/failure and she had to ignore the doctor's advice and leave because she didn't have any money and couldn't miss work tomorrow.

Bombs bursting in air!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I've been to an ER in Las Vegas due to a mysterious, severe allergic reaction. Treatment consisted of zero care until credit card is produced & swiped with a large pre-auth, waiting for fucking ever and eventually getting an injection of benadryl + Pepcid administered in a way that's forbidden in Canada. No x-rays, scans, blood testing or anything else.
    The bill was over $7k USD (may need to dig up records as I can't recall if it was even more than that).

Insurance covered everything except the cab back to the hotel (covered the one there, though... LoL!) but the hospital will still mail you collection agent, scary, threatening bullshit about your unpaid bill, even though your insurance company is supposed to be dealing with everything.

Oh and while I was in the waiting room, a lower income black female had obvious signs of severe kidney disease/failure and she had to ignore the doctor's advice and leave because she didn't have any money and couldn't miss work tomorrow.

Bombs bursting in air!
    When my wife was pregnant with our son when we were first married she didn't have any status in Canada yet so she did her pregnancy and birth in Washington because she had US insurance still. Everything was supposed to be covered. When she went into labour and went through child birth she needed an epidural. All went well and I have to say the standard of care was stellar!

Then 3 weeks after our son was born we got a bill in the mail saying everything except the epidural was covered and they wanted payment for almost $15,000 just for that!!! I almost choked! Fortunately with a couple phone calls they confirmed that she was actually covered and we didn't have to pay anything, but it sure woke me up to the costs of US medical care quickly!

My Ride
    ute

Bombs bursting in air!
    No end of things you can catch from those midget* prostitutes.

* I don't care waht you are supposed to call midgets.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Between my friends and I, we all have an understanding that should anything bad happen to us while vacationing in Washington/Idaho/Montana to just drive back to Canada and take the injured to the nearest hospital after crossing the border.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    When my wife was pregnant with our son when we were first married she didn't have any status in Canada yet so she did her pregnancy and birth in Washington because she had US insurance still. Everything was supposed to be covered. When she went into labour and went through child birth she needed an epidural. All went well and I have to say the standard of care was stellar!

Then 3 weeks after our son was born we got a bill in the mail saying everything except the epidural was covered and they wanted payment for almost $15,000 just for that!!! I almost choked! Fortunately with a couple phone calls they confirmed that she was actually covered and we didn't have to pay anything, but it sure woke me up to the costs of US medical care quickly!
    If you think Americans have expensive healthcare, you should see Canada's.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Oh I realize what it actually costs in the back end and taxes, but I am talking about when you are shocked with a surprise invoice when you are young and just starting out while making $30,000 a year haha! Half a years pre-tax wages just for one shot in the back was an eye opener!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    My cousin in Virginia got prego eons ago and her hubby is Catholic so aborting is out of the question and they can't really afford a kid at that stage. He ended up frantically switching job for just the right coverage before baby was born.

And after seeing how my mom gone thru cancer treatment here and how my cousin's mom gone thru the same in Virginia, the quality of care and follow up is definitely way better in Canada and getting sick never carry any financial risk. Her mom (late 60s) is still working to keep health coverage.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-04-2021 at 04:57 PM.

True, it really makes it seem even more ridiculous when Americans still somehow pay more per capita for less service

My Ride
    *The First*

No end of things you can catch from those midget* prostitutes.

* I don't care waht you are supposed to call midgets.
    Don't I know it!
    But I also know, it was totally worth it to live out that Dorf On Golf fantasy.

Bombs bursting in air!
    At least there was the option of relying on the credit card, my friend had travel insurance but it was taking forever to get it figured out and he kept saying "I can pay for this right now just give me treatment"
    "but sir it could be as much as $5,000"
    "yes fine whatever I can afford that many times over, and I'll get it back later, here's my credit card"
    "sorry sir this will have to go through your insurance now so we can be sure you can afford this"

ridiculous

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The entire health care situation in the US is a 100% deal killer for me ever living there. I've read quite a lot regarding all things early retirement and the constant theme that the Americans stress over is healthcare costs and that's just not something I need to think about here. It's a deal breaker.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    The entire health care situation in the US is a 100% deal killer for me ever living there. I've read quite a lot regarding all things early retirement and the constant theme that the Americans stress over is healthcare costs and that's just not something I need to think about here. It's a deal breaker.
    It's fine if you are rich. Sucks for average folks. The fact that your life's major decisions revolves around health coverage seems awful.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-04-2021 at 05:10 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    True, it really makes it seem even more ridiculous when Americans still somehow pay more per capita for less service
    Why do I care what it costs per capita. I only care about what things cost per me.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's fine if you are rich. Sucks for average folks. The fact that your life's major decisions revolves around health coverage seems awful.
    Canadians are doing exactly the same thing.

Why do I care what it costs per capita. I only care about what things cost per me.
    And how would this differ?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I have been saying this for years. I had a job offer with a major telecom in the states, and they were willing to give me my magic number to make me leave, but they wouldn't match my current healthcare benefits, and for that alone it was a deal breaker.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    And how would this differ?
    Because half of Canadians don't pay anywhere near enough tax yup cover their healthcare costs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast