Quantcast
Lugs Loosening Off - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lugs Loosening Off

Default Lugs Loosening Off

Bit of an odd one here - hoping others may have some insight.

Summer 2019 I randomly noticed some noise from the front drivers side of my WRX. Pulled into a parking lot and noticed that 3 of my lugs were loose, but only on that one wheel and my locking lug was still torqued properly. I change over my own tires by hand and torque the wheels with a torque wrench so I know they were torqued down and rechecked at that torque properly. Chalked it up to them being tampered with given that all other wheels were still solid and the locker was tight.

Fast forward to tonight, I'm driving and notice a similar sound. Pull into a parking lot and sure enough, lugs on my drivers side front wheel are loose. This time the locker is also loose though. All other wheels still torqued properly.

Is this a sign of needing to get the studs replaced? Bad wheel nuts? Something else I'm not thinking of?

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Something is worn. Threads rely on friction from torque. If it’s stretched perhaps you’re not getting what you need. Just a guess. At the very least replace the nuts.

My Ride
    *The First*

Do you ensure that the nuts are thoroughly snug, like probably 50+ ft-lb tight with the wheel in the air before you let the car down to finish with the torque wrench?
    Because I've seen many people achieve 80 ft-lb of torque because the wheel was barely on when they dropped the weight of the car onto it and the wheel went cockeyed a bit which means the flange face isn't flush on the hub so the torque doesn't mean anything.

Let me know if that gibberish explanation makes sense.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Are the wheels aftermarket? If yes, do you have the correct type of lugs for said aftermarket wheels?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are the wheels aftermarket? If yes, do you have the correct type of lugs for said aftermarket wheels?
    This. There are different shapes of lugs and you need to match the wheel to the lug ie. cone, ball, flat.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post
    Bit of an odd one here - hoping others may have some insight.

Summer 2019 I randomly noticed some noise from the front drivers side of my WRX. Pulled into a parking lot and noticed that 3 of my lugs were loose, but only on that one wheel and my locking lug was still torqued properly. I change over my own tires by hand and torque the wheels with a torque wrench so I know they were torqued down and rechecked at that torque properly. Chalked it up to them being tampered with given that all other wheels were still solid and the locker was tight.

Fast forward to tonight, I'm driving and notice a similar sound. Pull into a parking lot and sure enough, lugs on my drivers side front wheel are loose. This time the locker is also loose though. All other wheels still torqued properly.

Is this a sign of needing to get the studs replaced? Bad wheel nuts? Something else I'm not thinking of?
    were the threads dry and clean when you torqued them?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Loctite Red. Problem solved.

/s

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

/s
    If you're gonna go red may as well go green.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    If you're gonna go red may as well go green.
    Hey hey hey now. You know what they say...

Never go full re-...

Have you been to BC lately?

Otherwise, replacing lug studs isn't too hard to do.
    The sacrificial lug nut method is easiest and use a torch helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    Something is worn. Threads rely on friction from torque. If it’s stretched perhaps you’re not getting what you need. Just a guess. At the very least replace the nuts.
    This is where I'm leaning as well, but wonder if damage or worn studs would just wear out new lugs. Safer to change both at once? Also seems odd its only affecting this one wheel - though the same lugs do go on the same wheel each time as I change them over one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Do you ensure that the nuts are thoroughly snug, like probably 50+ ft-lb tight with the wheel in the air before you let the car down to finish with the torque wrench?
    Because I've seen many people achieve 80 ft-lb of torque because the wheel was barely on when they dropped the weight of the car onto it and the wheel went cockeyed a bit which means the flange face isn't flush on the hub so the torque doesn't mean anything.

Let me know if that gibberish explanation makes sense.
    Process wise I think I should be safe. Jack lowered so the wheel is just touching the ground to reduce spin, but vehicle weight isn't on the tire fully. Torqued to spec. Drive a few days around town - retorque to spec with weight on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Stock WRX wheels for winter, STI BBS's wheel for summer (believe they're factory but not 100% sure). Use the same nuts for both sets of wheels and the locker is also the factory Subaru one.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    were the threads dry and clean when you torqued them?
    Believe so, don't recall any obvious damage either, but do recall a few lugs being tougher to start by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

/s
    Haha - calling this "Plan C"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Have you been to BC lately?

Otherwise, replacing lug studs isn't too hard to do.
    The sacrificial lug nut method is easiest and use a torch helps.
    Have been staying clear of BC! And agreed, haven't done it before but looks straightforward.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Booger a weld on the end bro
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I was going to suggest upping the torque by 5lb/ft but then I saw Subaru. Don’t do that, Subaru studs are the softest garbage known to man.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I was going to suggest upping the torque by 5lb/ft but then I saw Subaru. Don’t do that, Subaru studs are the softest garbage known to man.
    Hmm wonder if maybe they were overtightened at some point in their life and the studs are now shot. Seems to add weight to the worn out theory.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Have you taken the wheel off after you found it loose? Maybe there's some debris between the hub and wheel.

Hoping to track down studs/lugs and then pop the wheel off to take a look. Figure I may as well have them handy when I pull the wheel off.

Haven’t had mating issues with the hub and wheel before but will definitely take a look at that too.

I was going to suggest upping the torque by 5lb/ft.
    How many extra guh-guh-guh's is that on the impact gun?
    Asking for the Costco Tire installers.

One more, far out there thought. If you're not sure if the rim is aftermarket, does it have a hub centric ring on it? If so, I've seen those slip out during tire changes then get crushed when remounting. I guess you could also swap the lugs around and see if the same thing still happens. At least you'd rule out those specific lugs.

Yeah there are definitely a lot of things that can be contributing to you issue, many touched on above.

Stretched studs will usually present while torquing. If you find that they just seem to not be reaching torque when it feels like it should be there, that can be a good indicator the studs are fuggered.

Wrong lugs for the rims can be an issue, but it sounds like you are saying both are OEM wheels with OEM lugs so if that is the case I am doubtful this is the issue.

The hub and mating surfaces being corroded and/or dirty can cause an issue like this but it should be easily identifiable. You might also check the lug seating area on the wheel as well to see if there is corrosion there.

Is your torque wrench out of calibration? If it is torquing light this could happen as well but really, one would figure it would be on all wheels and not a single wheel if this was the case.

I have seen all kinds of weird stuff like people not realizing a hub-centric ring is still on the car switching from aftermarket to stock wheels, wrong bolt patterns that while out slightly still fit over the studs, asshole neighbours (or idiot friends) fucking with a person, and all kinds of stuff over the years, but usually it is something simple. Just start at the beginning and remove the wheels from the car, thoroughly clean and check everything is correct, reinstall the wheel on the car making sure to use proper torque sequencing without over-tightening, try to avoid having to put the weight of the vehicle on the tire and wheel while tightening and retorque more than once in a case like this. If you notice everything is staying tight after multiple re-torques you are probably good, but if every time you put a wrench on it, one or two or more of the nuts always seem to need a little extra, and you are certain everything else is proper, if it was my car I am going to move on replacing the studs and lugs.

Was able to get the car jacked up and took the wheel off over the weekend - definitely the studs that are damaged. Not too sure what caused it but there is a section on a couple of studs where the threads are entirely gone, looks almost like unthreaded metal stock for 1/32-1/16". Was going to swap the studs over while I had the wheel off, but the bolts holding the caliper are on pretty corroded - going to put in a few calls to shops this morning instead. Appreciate everyones input in troubleshooting here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast