Quantcast
WFH and taxes - what are you claiming. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: WFH and taxes - what are you claiming.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Moo Town
    My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~
    Posts
    695
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I've been WFH since March, but I also started a part-time remote job in July.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,769
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    Easy method and be done with it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good news, I hear exclusively post from my phone lol

    I’m going to go with simple method, tbh I didn’t even WFH that many days in 2020, a little over 100 by my quick estimate.

    That’s ok, it’s pretty rare I’m eligible for a tax credit of any kind lol
    Even for the simplified flat-rate method they ask how many days you worked from home, not including holidays, weekend, vacation. It's $2 per day so you have to WFH for 200 days to be eligible for the max. I doubt anyone would put less than the max though, lol.
    Last edited by holden; 02-10-2021 at 05:42 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alberta
    My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord
    Posts
    226
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Don't forget if you don't have a dedicated work from home space and use your kitchen table you also need to prorate for hours!

    Simplified method 100% no real proof, I can see CRA asking for backup if you claim the detailed method, that would be a fun audit.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If you rent and your office makes up 10ish%, it makes sense to do detailed. It's also pretty easy with this calculator:

    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-expenses.html

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,233
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Notably detailed only actually works if your employer will sign off no?

    That’s probably more of a problem than people might want to admit
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Blackfalds aka north RD, AB
    My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck
    Posts
    1,087
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Where’s the tax breaks for the people that actually went to work?
    I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job
    I'm your average white suburbanite slob

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,838
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where’s the tax breaks for the people that actually went to work?
    I'll split it with ya.
    Silly people focus on the math.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,233
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where’s the tax breaks for the people that actually went to work?
    You get to help pay off the national debt for getting people sick. Duh.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,495
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Help the cause brethren!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Renters get to write off rent too? What the heck

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Notably detailed only actually works if your employer will sign off no?

    That’s probably more of a problem than people might want to admit
    Haven’t seen that as a requirement for this year?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haven’t seen that as a requirement for this year?
    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...e-methods.html


    Detailed method

    Applies to:

    eligible employees working from home in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic
    eligible employees required to work from home
    With this method:

    you can claim the actual amounts you paid, supported by documents
    you must have a completed and signed Form T2200S / Form T2200 from your employer

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    303
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well I’ll be damned. Right out in front!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,867
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I'll be doing the easy method.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Axis powers
    Posts
    2,469
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    I played with the calculator and could claim about 1800 vs the 400 with the simple method, however unsure if I want to risk an audit as those are a pain

    Our accountant told us we can also claim purchases required to work at home
    Last edited by adam c; 02-11-2021 at 09:38 AM.
    Sig nuked by mod.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our accountant told us we can also claim purchases required to work at home
    Pretty sure you can't do furniture/monitors/docking stations/etc. Only consumables like paper, printer ink, pens, etc.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure you can't do furniture/monitors/docking stations/etc. Only consumables like paper, printer ink, pens, etc.
    Everything is on that site. Its definitely just consumables. No blue-light glasses for you old man!
    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...can-claim.html

    Common home office supplies
    Filter items
    Showing 1 to 59 of 59 entries
    Common home office supplies
    Item Can it be claimed?
    Envelopes

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Folders

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Highlighters

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Ink cartridges

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Note-books

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Paper clips or binder clips

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Pens or pencils

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Printer paper

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Speciality paper (for example: graph paper, tracing paper)

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Stamps or postage

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Stationery items

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Sticky notes

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

    Toner

    Yes | Salaried employees
    Yes | Commissioned employees

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Foothills County
    My Ride
    is faster than yours
    Posts
    1,076
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Can you claim that stuff if you just stole it from work?

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    For sure makes sense if you rent. It's a fairly substantial amount. Based on the list of what's available, not a whole lot of benefits for those who own.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If you pay taxes you should be outraged - Auditor General Report on G8/G20 spending

    By dino_martini in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
  2. Stock option taxes and divident taxes

    By Gorilla in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
  3. wtb: TAXES - somebody do my taxes for cheap!

    By brownskind in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 02-25-2006, 09:09 PM
  4. guy claiming to be a cop?

    By autospeed in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 03-24-2004, 12:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •