Quantcast
Should You Boost A Frozen Battery? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 82

Thread: Should You Boost A Frozen Battery?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster
    Posts
    1,913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Should You Boost A Frozen Battery?

    I need to bring my car to a repair shop today where it will live for the next few weeks. I just tried starting it and I know the battery is not dead but the only noise I get is the starter clicking over. It's out on the street so an extension cord won't reach, I'm wondering how I can get it started. Is boosting a frozen battery a bad idea? Do I just have to reschedule for a warmer day?
    It's the Hyundai.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    @firebane can help with this.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    794
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Same thing happening to my Honda that my son drives...

    I'm, gonna pull the battery and bring it inside for a day or so...Then put on charge in the garage.

    If its dead after that then replace.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2012 Honda Accord EX-L Nav V6 6-Spd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,439
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I need to bring my car to a repair shop today where it will live for the next few weeks. I just tried starting it and I know the battery is not dead but the only noise I get is the starter clicking over. It's out on the street so an extension cord won't reach, I'm wondering how I can get it started. Is boosting a frozen battery a bad idea? Do I just have to reschedule for a warmer day?
    It's the Hyundai.
    Why do you say the battery is not dead? It's too dead to start the car.
    How do you know it's "frozen"? Sulfuric acid shouldn't be freezing at -30.
    Unless the battery case is ruptured, cracked or bulged, I'd slap some jumpers on and *boost it.
    *In the proper way that doesn't cause a hydrogen explosion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster
    Posts
    1,913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I just think it isn't frozen from having the car for 5 years and knowing it has powered through everything previously. Also when I push the start button, the starting motor clicks (meaning it has power) and the interior electronics all work perfectly. I could be wrong, though I've never been wrong before.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

  6. #6
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,736
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    if it's got enough to click then it's probably not frozen enough to cause permanent damage, ideally you'd still wanna bring it inside to let it thaw and trickle charge it, but it should be fine to boost it.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Well here's the thing. If you can boost it and it starts, then it WAS the battery.

  8. #8
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,736
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well here's the thing. If you can boost it and it starts, then it WAS the battery.
    even a good battery can get drawn down by parasitic draw, and once it gets low it can freeze, that'd cause permanent damage the the battery... sure drawing it down does cause damage but nothing compared to having it freeze and warp the plates.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @firebane can help with this.
    @ExtraSlow oh we are this are we

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    even a good battery can get drawn down by parasitic draw, and once it gets low it can freeze, that'd cause permanent damage the the battery... sure drawing it down does cause damage but nothing compared to having it freeze and warp the plates.
    Oh baby, I know that. I think I am on record here about the importance of battery chargers/maintainers on in this weather even if your battery have never shown any signs of trouble. @firebane , you should be flattered that I'm thinking of you.

  11. #11
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,736
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    The moral of the story is, always buy costco batteries, that way even if through your own neglect you freeze the battery, you get a full refund and buy a new one.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,260
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Noco genius boost pack sounds like a solid option.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Strathmore
    My Ride
    2004 Dirtymax
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh baby, I know that. I think I am on record here about the importance of battery chargers/maintainers on in this weather even if your battery have never shown any signs of trouble. @firebane , you should be flattered that I'm thinking of you.
    @ExtraSlow

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Where did you get that picture of me? Are you in my office today?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford, Acura, my wife's nerves
    Posts
    1,848
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just think it isn't frozen from having the car for 5 years and knowing it has powered through everything previously. Also when I push the start button, the starting motor clicks (meaning it has power) and the interior electronics all work perfectly. I could be wrong, though I've never been wrong before.
    This is one of the most Mar things I've read. Thanks Mar!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which one has best efficacy at enlarging my dank?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Blackfalds aka north RD, AB
    My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck
    Posts
    1,087
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    If there is electrical powering on... boost it. I've had frozen battery before. Nothing powers on when it's frozen.
    I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job
    I'm your average white suburbanite slob

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster
    Posts
    1,913
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Tomorrow I'll have to pull the battery and bring it into the house to warm up. Is this safe or are there gasses which will escape?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,439
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    You should get a time machine, back it up 4 days and boost the fucking car like you said you needed to.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Blackfalds aka north RD, AB
    My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck
    Posts
    1,087
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tomorrow I'll have to pull the battery and bring it into the house to warm up. Is this safe or are there gasses which will escape?
    Just leave it in place and boost it.
    I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job
    I'm your average white suburbanite slob

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,497
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    You might find out fast if it’s totally frozen by boosting it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What kind of battery should I get? where should I buy it?

    By gt2871r in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 05-23-2011, 06:03 PM
  2. Frozen Battery

    By Deetz in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
  3. 5 things you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do when pulled over

    By HiSpec in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 47
    Latest Threads: 05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
  4. my windows are frozen, and i mean FROZEN

    By azndragon1234 in forum General
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 11-27-2006, 03:21 PM
  5. How do you boost a frozen car?

    By Speed_RaSiR in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 02-01-2004, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •