Quantcast
Crypto Mining Thread - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Crypto Mining Thread

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This thread has me seriously thinking about building a new computer.

A) I could generate some passive income while working out of town for 2 weeks at a time and just leave the computer running.

B) The funds could pay for a new computer build that I've been avoiding for the last 5 years because I'd need a new mobo, cpu, and ram (and new GPU when available), which in the end would be great for the main purpose of my computer which is the photo editing and occasional gaming on Steam.

Essentially I want to mine to build a new computer that pays for itself. Last time I built a computer it was pretty much time-of-the-lin everything at the time, which was like 10 years ago!

Do you guys think this is actually feasible provided I can eventually source all the necessary parts?

Are mining rates largely GPU dependant?
    Great idea but GPU are basically non-existent to find is the issue.

My Ride
    rally pig

Computer mining is all through the GPU now a days so you can run the cheapest CPU and memory and concentrate on GPUs, the challenge right now though is availability, both new and used market gets drained quickly.
    I saw a RX480 8GB listed on Kijiji yesterday for 350$, didn't know it was capable of generating 5$/day, should have picked it up

Your current rig at this point will not be profitable until you upgrade your GPU and possibly your PSU.
    Keep an eye on the used market for at least GTX 1060 6GB or RX 470 8GB. Don't bother with 3GB or 4GB GPU.
    If you haven't done yet, go to MemoryExpress and pre-order a RTX 3060Ti.

But if you were planning on upgrading/building a new PC already, might as well buy this
    https://www.newegg.ca/abs-ala228/p/N...-062-_-Product

My 3060Ti is mining every day even while the wife is working and been generating 9-10$/day
    Even the other videocards that I bought, if they run 24/7 they will be fully repaid in less than 3 months of mining.

funny story but I gave my 1060 6GB to my uncle back in December, been contemplating the past couple of days buying a 1050Ti or a 1060 3GB and trade it back for my 1060 6GB since my uncle only does photo/video editing on his rig
    Last edited by taemo; 02-19-2021 at 11:43 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks guys. I might pick your brains later and get a parts list together for a build. It's certainly not urgent by any means. Some of the things I have had my eye on is a 5900x and EVGA 3080 FTW3 but maybe 2 x 3060 makes more sense. Will have to pick a case, motherboard and RAM, and likely update my power supply. To be continued...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Thanks guys. I might pick your brains later and get a parts list together for a build. It's certainly not urgent by any means. Some of the things I have had my eye on is a 5900x and EVGA 3080 FTW3 but maybe 2 x 3060 makes more sense. Will have to pick a case, motherboard and RAM, and likely update my power supply. To be continued...
    Would probably look into a pre-built if you want a hope in hell of getting any sort of 3000 series card, $2k for something with a 3060ti, keep an eye out for a 2080 ti off kijiji to add in, close to $20/day rig... toss some 1000 series cards into your old machine as they come up, add a few extra bucks to that

My Ride
    rally pig

was going to play one mission of GTA:SA but I saw RVN is the most profitable now so I'm just going to sleep lol

edit: it seems to be going down now, RVN was up +108% previously but down to +93% now.
    Last edited by taemo; 02-20-2021 at 01:45 AM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

It's weird. I get a much lower hashrate with Kapow (45 vs 90), and my card runs like 5*C hotter (65 vs 60)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    rally pig

hashrate will vary depending on algorithm and comparing them will not indicate which is the most profitable.

KawPow is more core dependent and needs more power than DH.
    RVN is down to only about +50% now so ETH/NH is the way to go again.

my 1060 6GB has mined 0.01 ETH so I'm running it back on NH while my 3060Ti is minig RVN over the weekend.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So, you make $5-$10/day, on a machine that costs $1500-$2500? And consumes what, 500w?
    The "all in" electricity price is like 14c/kwh these days, so that's only a couple bucks per day in power I guess.

Neat hobby, and best way to get crypto that may appreciate over time, but not really a profitable business.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So, you make $5-$10/day, on a machine that costs $1500-$2500? And consumes what, 500w?
    The "all in" electricity price is like 14c/kwh these days, so that's only a couple bucks per day in power I guess.

Neat hobby, and best way to get crypto that may appreciate over time, but not really a profitable business.
    you dont need a complete new machine, if you already have a desktop PC you may just need to upgrade your PC's powersupply and a decent videocard that will do all the hard work. the hard part right now is finding videocards though.

The 1060 6GB that I bought for only 200$ is making ~4.70CAD$/day which means it will be fully paid out in less than 2 months, after that it is all profit.
    The 3060Ti that I bought under 600$ in December is mining ~10CAD$/day so will also be paid out in 2 months, and I didnt even buy this videocard intentionally for mining but for gaming.

In terms of electricity cost, mining rigs are actually quite optimized to use as less watt than regular desktops to maximize profitability.
    My mining rig is pulling 250W with 2 video cards earning ~14$/day, even at 0.14$/kwh, I may be paying 26$ for electricity but earning over 400$

There's also the increasing value of cryptocoins, I'm not cashing out my coins but considering it as investment and holding it for long.
    Last edited by taemo; 02-20-2021 at 09:53 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That math looks better than what I had for sure. And if you enjoy the hobby of optimizing things that's even better.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Sir, please calculate the cap rate and compare this to traditional business cap rates

My Ride
    rally pig

That math looks better than what I had for sure. And if you enjoy the hobby of optimizing things that's even better.
    pretty much this, I'm doing this as I enjoy the technical and optimization side.
    it all started after the dogecoin discussion on previous threads and being bored at home. initially started mining dogecoin then found nicehash to be more profitable

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Everything starts and ends with dogecoin. As is good and correct.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I wouldnt be recommending the 3060 to anyone going forward until the nvidia crypto vs gaming cards issue is settled.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu...ot_be_hacked/1

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Just came across VertCoin/Verthash while looking around to see if there's anything I can use my R9 280x for...anyone know anything about it?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    I wouldnt be recommending the 3060 to anyone going forward until the nvidia crypto vs gaming cards issue is settled.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu...ot_be_hacked/1
    Rumors is that they crippled ETH mining only on the 3060. Other coins like Ravencoin are profitable with the 3060, able of generating 6-7$/day. If the card sells for around 400-450$, I might buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Just came across VertCoin/Verthash while looking around to see if there's anything I can use my R9 280x for...anyone know anything about it?
    I heard that lately it has regained some momentun but havent followed it much. are you mining it now?

It also creates heat per watt, the exact same as having an electric heater. If the setup consumes 900 watts, you can put it on a single household fuse (actually you can go up to 1575 as the limit on a standard outlet setup/fuse if everything is up to spec and brand new) 900 watts is ok if you happen to have craptacular 1970's aluminum wiring, like I do.

Of which I would not do more than two 900 (three if you have a mcmansion) watters at a residence, because that would be about right for some nice heating six months of the year.

And for those growing devils lettuce, even though it may only use 100 watts, put it on a seperate circuit/fuse, because moisture.

That and of course, going on fixed rate electricity at a good price.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-21-2021 at 09:15 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

My meter on my wall says 185W watts for everything (Nicehash says <150W for the GPU) so it's not really that much. 500W would be running at least 3 GPU and at that point you're making ~18USD /22CAD a day and spending 2$ a day on electricity, definitely worth it.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

One thing I'm not 100% on, now that this thing is chugging along at 100 MH/s, is how the payouts work.

I've downloaded Exodus to my phone, this is creating a wallet?
    The receive button gives me a 32 character 0xE... string, which is what I entered into my Ethermine config for T-Rex.

If I'm reading this right, every week, or 0.1 Ethercoins I mine (I set to 0.1) it'll transfer that Etherium to my Exodus wallet?

And from there it looks like I can freely transfer it to ~100 other crypto currencies, but if I want to cash it out into dollars, I have to jump some hoops at bitfinex.com or another exchange - and if anyone can recommend a better exchange, that would be good, I'll bookmark it for research later)
    Last edited by colsankey; 02-21-2021 at 10:11 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by colsankey View Post
    One thing I'm not 100% on, now that this thing is chugging along at 100 MH/s, is how the payouts work.

I've downloaded Exodus to my phone, this is creating a wallet?
    The receive button gives me a 32 character 0xE... string, which is what I entered into my Ethermine config for T-Rex.

If I'm reading this right, every week, or 0.1 Ethercoins I mine (I set to 0.1) it'll transfer that Etherium to my Exodus wallet?

And from there it looks like I can freely transfer it to ~100 other crypto currencies, but if I want to cash it out into dollars, I have to jump some hoops at bitfinex.com or another exchange - and if anyone can recommend a better exchange, that would be good, I'll bookmark it for research later)
    are you mining with Ethermine as well?
    I'm also waiting for my first payout with Ethermine after having mined 0.01 (I achieved this last Friday). There's no countdown on their website stating when the 14 days payout will occur so I'll just check from time to time.

if the wallet address you typed in is correct, then yes when payout occurs it will go to your exodus wallet. from there you can transfer them to an exchange.

my ETH is set to deposit to my coinbase wallet, my BTC from NH is going to my coinbase though as there's no transfer fee.
    From coinbase I can sell to cash and deposit on my paypal account.

btw, really impressed with the 5700XT, even with stock BIOS it is more efficient than my 3060Ti
    53.2 MH/s @ 108W vs 61.5 MH/s @ 129W
    With BIOS mod the 5700XT can do 55 MH/s
    Last edited by taemo; 02-22-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast