Quantcast
Mars Rover - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mars Rover

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Default Mars Rover

The Perseverance rover lands on the 18th. I personally love watching the videos and seeing all the pictures from the old one. Also a pretty ballsy approach with the sky crane this time.

Infographic and pics, unfortunately no graphs - https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/

7 minutes to Mars video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tdMR5HLtg

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mars rovers are awesome and amazing and really cool and I love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

It's cool to see a part of humanity that's still dedicated to space exploration, while the majority of our pointless species squabbles over insignificant problems.

My Ride
    Trucks

My kids are lucky to be growing up during the second space race. All I had was Hubble getting bi-focals and Challenger blowing up, as highlights.

Still too expensive. Arguably, if they can figure out railgun tech, they can shoot instead of launch probes. Which would make space travel 1,000x to 10,000x less expensive per kilogram.

Chemical propulsion is a horrible way to launch. And its even worse to launch off the surface of Mars, as there is not much ambient oxygen to help the boost. That being said, all the progress made in chemical propulsion technology (decades and Hundreds of billions spent mostly by the USA) can be made obsolete in the snap of a finger.

If Chemical propulsion must be used, they can always railgun the fuel and supplies into orbit (at extreme mach speeds), and have naked astronauts dock with it to reduce cost significantly. The USA has been led down a path of chemical propulsion gospel, which may end up being the worst road to take.

When you only have horses, a trip to the South Pole might be a premature idea.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-12-2021 at 07:52 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

China just had a satellite make Mars orbit in the last couple/few days as well, saw some vid they released, not that I'm glad about anything CCP related.

I am very interested in this latest NASA/etc rover however, I can't believe it's been as long as it has since I watched the last one live (well, live so far as the control room goes). Be great if this is another successful mission.

It's cool to see a part of humanity that's still dedicated to space exploration, while the majority of our pointless species squabbles over insignificant problems.
    Feel much the same way. I don't know how many times in our homes we've said "if only" we humans could get our shit together and stop fighting amongst ourselves, and put all the resources we spend on weapons, into medical and space exploration instead. Of course, Plato's single sentence on that subject keeps popping up, and proving more true instead of less, as the years go by.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 02-12-2021 at 08:39 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    China just had a satellite make Mars orbit in the last couple/few days as well, saw some vid they released, not that I'm glad about anything CCP related.

I am very interested in this latest NASA/etc rover however, I can't believe it's been as long as it has since I watched the last one live (well, live so far as the control room goes). Be great if this is another successful mission.

Feel much the same way. I don't know how many times in our homes we've said "if only" we humans could get our shit together and stop fighting amongst ourselves, and put all the resources we spend on weapons, into medical and space exploration instead. Of course, Plato's single sentence on that subject keeps popping up, and proving more true instead of less, as the years go by.
    Chinese's is also a rover that will land soon looking for underground water.

UAE has an orbiter just doing mapping.

NASA rover is looking for alien life.

I am still optimistic that if the crazy Starship scheme works out, Mars could be colonized in my life time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    My kids are lucky to be growing up during the second space race. All I had was Hubble getting bi-focals and Challenger blowing up, as highlights.
    https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

See if we get to see a man and woman back on moon in 3 years.

The moon landing has shaped much of my young age. Hopefully it will inspire more people.

Well, as long as you all are the ones paying for it - go right ahead.

Even at 1,000x less cost than Apollo - its still on the expensive side. If you ask me. Elon seems to be targeting 1000x less expensive. So instead of 100 Billion per trip, say only 100 million per trip to pay a round of golf on the moon.

The switchover to electric vehicles on earth will have to be accelerated, because there is not enough chemical propellant to do both if even a few thousand people want the space trip (to 250 miles above earth). Try to do both, and a farmer may not be able to afford fuel to take in a harvest.

https://www.marketplace.org/2016/05/...onomic-policy/

BTW: When Elon says it is 1,000x less expensive - that is insanely important. If you can only afford to send one tin of beans along with a Mars astronaut and have him barely survive - Then sending 1,000 tins of beans is that much better. Same with fuel, just incase anything goes wrong.

Cost reduction gives redundancy. Redundancy often means the difference between success and failure, in fact - in almost all exploration cases it means success.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-13-2021 at 01:02 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Successful landing and first pictures of mars from the new rover have already rolled in!

To say I am stoked is an understatement!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I love this guy's videos... he talks about how this rover will poop for another rover to bring back the poop in the future.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I love this guy's videos... he talks about how this rover will poop for another rover to bring back the poop in the future.
    Not sure what he did to his brows but looks more unnatural than normal.

But fuck yeah, can't wait to get some poop back.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Well, as long as you all are the ones paying for it - go right ahead.

Even at 1,000x less cost than Apollo - its still on the expensive side. If you ask me. Elon seems to be targeting 1000x less expensive. So instead of 100 Billion per trip, say only 100 million per trip to pay a round of golf on the moon.

The switchover to electric vehicles on earth will have to be accelerated, because there is not enough chemical propellant to do both if even a few thousand people want the space trip (to 250 miles above earth). Try to do both, and a farmer may not be able to afford fuel to take in a harvest.

https://www.marketplace.org/2016/05/...onomic-policy/

BTW: When Elon says it is 1,000x less expensive - that is insanely important. If you can only afford to send one tin of beans along with a Mars astronaut and have him barely survive - Then sending 1,000 tins of beans is that much better. Same with fuel, just incase anything goes wrong.

Cost reduction gives redundancy. Redundancy often means the difference between success and failure, in fact - in almost all exploration cases it means success.
    I thought your post was going to be all about how we never went to the moon in the first place.

Humans on the moon, probably not. We are squishy animals 60x to 300x more fragile than robots, require temperature tolerances within 60 degrees, basically no radiation exposure and an oxygen concentration that is not overly saturated with carbon. Humans around the moon? Not entirely impossible, when they try in a few years. As far as I can tell the USA can't even make a F35 fighter jet with a sealed cockpit that does not require oxygen mask (and we all know the USA spends more on straight Military than anything else)

Probes can land at speeds about half the speed of a bullet, if they do not have combustable fuel (or solar panels) onboard. Humans? About 1/100th that to not be splattered like a bullet.

Now the big question to me is: If they successfully landed on the exact spot they wanted to on Mars, can we get GPS assisted drone deliveries, so I can get my VitaminC and Zinc gummy vitamins, here on earth already? Or is NASA going to make me wait 50 years for it to benefit humankind.

PS: When they say "we went to the moon" its not the same as saying "we landed a human on the surface of the moon, and took off again and returned him to earth". Jeebus may have only made grape juice, the only ones who know for sure - are the 11 people eating at the table with him.

I feel comfortable enough saying to my nephew "We made it to the moon". Legalese at its finest.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 02-19-2021 at 07:25 AM.

The tradeoff of course is obvious now: Texas gave up power redundancy to fund spaceflight. Drinking a little poopwater never hurt anyone right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Reminder that the Calgary connection are those sexy Evans consoles in that control room.