Quantcast
Opinions on Home Receivers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Opinions on Home Receivers

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Default Opinions on Home Receivers

So my 21 year old Kenwood receiver finally died on me Back when I bought it was a high end unit with 5.1 and has been great for my needs in our main living room. All that I have hooked up to is the PVR, an aftermarket bluetooth receiver and a set of Energy RC-Mini. I'm wondering if I should look at replacing it with a 2 channel stereo unit or stay with a 5.1 unit.

What do you guys think?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

I think you should decide if you want lots of channels, or a nice simple setup.

I had a polk 2.1 sound bar that sounded decent and was nice and clean for the living room.

But in the basement I'm really splashing out on the entertainment area and will need a multi channel receiver.

The good news is if you only need a 5.1 capable system, theres lots of them on clearance right now.
    Last edited by colsankey; 02-16-2021 at 11:50 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Whatever you do make sure it has Atmos capability and Dolby vision pass through. Even if you don’t use either standard right now.

Aside from that it’s kindof a spend what you want to spend situation, getting something one generation old is a good bet for value.

I have a Marantz 6012 and really like it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I'm a bit out of touch on modern receivers, but I can say from experience in repairing a few for friends... avoid Onkyo. Lots of problems.
    I've always liked Pioneer and I recently bought a Denon that I'm pretty happy with. Plain old 5.1 no fancy Dolby stuff.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I second the Marantz Sr6012, great sounding receiver with all the bells and whistles for home theatre. I also have a 2channel Marantz receiver which sounds great for a dedicated music setup.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Denon and Marantz are basically the same thing since the merger. Everything is the same down to the UI. Just exterior differences. Buy what’s cheaper. I have one of each.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    V167

https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...143&sku=VSX534

So would something like this do the job for a reasonable setup? I am not huge into home theatre. I have speakers in wall/ceiling, I believe the speakers are setup to produce a "phantom" centre channel. Just need a sub and receiver to get things going.

I think you need to decide if you are going to go 2 channel or stick with 5.1 before you even look at receivers. If you enjoy the surround sound experience and watch lots of movies or any major TV shows, you are going to be giving up a lot dropping down to 2.0. If you are using it for news, cartoons, etc. then it won't matter nearly as much and you might be better served prioritizing aesthetics.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...143&sku=VSX534

So would something like this do the job for a reasonable setup? I am not huge into home theatre. I have speakers in wall/ceiling, I believe the speakers are setup to produce a "phantom" centre channel. Just need a sub and receiver to get things going.
    Just my opinion, but I've had Pioneer Elite in the past and wasn't impressed with the sound. I would step up to the Denon in that price range, HEOS is a nice feature that we use quite often.
    https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...0&sku=AVRS650H

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

What Kenwood receiver did you have? I might want the parts.

Does it look like this?
    Name:  2FA27B61-1C97-4BED-AACB-A519C64A978B.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  49.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    Just my opinion, but I've had Pioneer Elite in the past and wasn't impressed with the sound. I would step up to the Denon in that price range, HEOS is a nice feature that we use quite often.
    https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...0&sku=AVRS650H
    If you weren't impressed with Pioneer Elite in the past, most likely you didn't have something set up properly or did not have the room correction running properly. They are pretty widely known as some of the best receivers available, particularly their amplifier section. What model did you have?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you weren't impressed with Pioneer Elite in the past, most likely you didn't have something set up properly or did not have the room correction running properly. They are pretty widely known as some of the best receivers available, particularly their amplifier section. What model did you have?
    I don't recall the model, I quickly exchanged it. It's possible that I didn't set it up correctly, but I found it to be quite a bright sound when paired with horns on Klipsch speakers. I like the warmer Marantz sound. All subjective of course.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by SJW View Post
    What Kenwood receiver did you have? I might want the parts.
    It's a VR-505

Was briefly checking things out today before work got busy and this looked like it would fit the bill https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...=141&sku=RN303

In our living room we mainly watch the news, HGTV, History stuff like that or listen to music in the background when people are over. If we're watching a movie or actual tv series use the 60" with 5.1 in our bonus room.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    I don't recall the model, I quickly exchanged it. It's possible that I didn't set it up correctly, but I found it to be quite a bright sound when paired with horns on Klipsch speakers. I like the warmer Marantz sound. All subjective of course.
    Sounds like you are comparing the out of the box sound vs configured sound. Good lord some of the Yamaha systems have an internal web configurator now.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjonus View Post
    It's a VR-505

Was briefly checking things out today before work got busy and this looked like it would fit the bill https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...=141&sku=RN303

In our living room we mainly watch the news, HGTV, History stuff like that or listen to music in the background when people are over. If we're watching a movie or actual tv series use the 60" with 5.1 in our bonus room.
    Oh shit mines way older.